Let's talk about pork

bon

Not sure where to put this, but I need to talk about pork.

It creeps me out. Something I read forever ago about looking at it under a microscope and all the creepy things you will see - parasites, etc.

I never eat pork. Never prepare it for my family.

Not even bacon. I KNOW.

I just bought pasture raised ground pork so I could make Johnny's meatloaf recipe... but I need to get the creep factor out of my head or that mess will forever live in my freezer.

Thoughts? Help? How is this food good for me and what type of friends will it introduce to my stomach???

Basically, when you cook it, the nasties die. Invest in a good meat thermometer and make sure that you hit the recommended temperature, and you're all good. Don't go for rare if you're creeped out! Also...have you ever put a human under a microscope? we're pretty gross, too :D

Thoughts? Help? How is this food good for me and what type of friends will it introduce to my stomach???

I get a bit OCD about washing hands and cutting boards with both Chicken & pork and definitely cook thoroughly. Enjoy! I often make yummy pork meatballs and 'sausage' patties

I get a bit OCD about washing hands and cutting boards with both Chicken & pork and definitely cook thoroughly. Enjoy! I often make yummy pork meatballs and 'sausage' patties

I'm with you there! I have a hazmat suit for chicken prep, lol!

I'm still not convinced to eat pork... I guess I need to see if there's any convincing articles/studies out there. I came around to eating liver; but it took some serious reading and mental prep;) I wonder if Chris Kresser has written anything about pork... off I go to look...

My husband and I raise pastured pork (& chickens) and we hear this kind of resistance a lot and it's mostly due to the the conditions in commercial pork factory operations. What helped me was to see the difference in between the living conditions of pastured pork compared to a commercial operation. You should never have a problem with parasites with pastured pork because their living conditions are so different than the overcrowding of commercial operations (pastured pork doesn't live in its own waste and isn't fed just corn). Most pastured pork operations can better monitor their herd, so if there is a sick or ailing animal, it can be separated from the rest of the herd. Also, I know that in our state we are required by law to take pigs (for retail sale of the meat) to a state/federally inspected butcher. He is then required to send a sample from each pig to be tested, in addition to a number of other standards. If you have the opportunity, visit your butcher's facility. For me, seeing how clean and organized everything was definitely helped with "eeww" factor. Frankly, pigs are way cleaner than chickens, but I won't go there. ;)

I just did a quick search and found this article that sums up the benefits of pastured pork, but I know there is a wealth of info out there!

http://kerryg.hubpages.com/hub/The-Benefits-of-Pastured-Pork

Widescreen78 - THANK YOU! I love what you had to say and the personal reassurance from someone who has first hand experience raising pastured pork is so helpful. I'm off to check out the article you linked to.

Archived