• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a dream a couple nights ago that evoked some pretty gross, reactive feelings... fight or flight defensiveness, snarkiness, f*you-ness, but, in extracting myself from the situation, I said, "ok then, great seeing you, gotta go. Gotta make dinner." Cheek-kiss, bah-bye, now. And then I went to cook dinner, a compliant dinner! Chard, sweet potato, protein. In my dream! Now, that's rewiring, right??! 

Back: A lot better! Went kayaking with my son. Dog tried to climb in, but couldn't quite figure it out.

post-13243-0-92897600-1372209612_thumb.j

Booch: Had to toss a SCOBY and tea because of fruit fly eggs  :(. The other batch is doing okay. Not great, but okay. I'll get another batch going before I leave for the week.

post-13243-0-02259800-1372209672_thumb.j This is the one I had to throw out. So sad.

post-13243-0-31139200-1372209650_thumb.j This is why. 

Nuts: Drying almonds and cashews. Bummed that neither almonds (in CA) nor cashews are truly raw, even if labeled as such. 

Eggs: Bought a dozen to hard boil because I cannot find enough in my yard  :mellow:. I think we need to build a chicken yard for the first half of the morning (egg-laying time).

Garden: Growing! 

post-13243-0-44200500-1372209829_thumb.j

Huge friggin' jellyfish. Anyone have a recipe? (kidding!)

post-13243-0-01029700-1372209754_thumb.j

Now serious talk. My Asian supermarket actually sells jelly fish, I can ask about ways to cook it :)

I am glad that your Thai reaction is over, that post was scary to read. Lovely hers! My colantro is dying but mint grows like

mad. What do you have in those pots?

Scoby ciao :( I saw a fly coming out if the jar, but thought it wasn't possible. Now I get to check it, maybe nasty flies inhibited my yeastie monster too.

Sleep well, eat well and such!

@Susan, yea, lesson learned, no more paper towels, too easy for unintended gaps. I have a cloth napkins with a rubber band on the other one and, no flies. Old pillowcase is a great idea.

@Nadia, a few different types of the following: kale, basil, cilantro, parsley, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and other stuff I don't remember because I didn't write anything down. I'll see what it is when it grows up. I'll use it to season the jellyfish! Hell yea... get recipes! Jellyfish is the opposite of offal, don't you think? So we have both ends of the ick spectrum covered  :P.

Packing. I love it and I hate it. I love it because it forces me to prioritize and simplify, and I hate it because it forces me to prioritize and simplify.

BF hasn't seen his 9 living siblings in around 15 years. I'm meeting them for the first time. 

Bringing two dresses to choose between for the wedding, just not sure which one I'll feel more comfortable in.

Silly pre-trip insecurities... bought another dress, a shirt, a sweater (not that I'll need it). Got home at 8pm and hadn't started packing yet, so now I'll be up super late, and grumpy tired tomorrow. Will I ever learn?

Sardines, HB eggs, soaked nuts for travel.

Ugh. Hate packing too. Have to pack up the kids this weekend for a trip to NH. I'm dreading it. But at least a wedding might be fun. (??) I love weddings. Not in a schlocky way, but just because it's a fun party and most ppl have a lot of good energy.

Jellyfish! Ick. Don't touch.

Is this your Park Slope trip? I'm really curious for your reaction. I saw someone describe it as Portlandia come to life (though, I'd say with less humor). The park is lovely, though, as are the brownstone streets and it's nice on the weekends in the summer because so many ppl are gone.

I totally empathize with you on packing. Yuckers. My husband went on a business trip recently and he packed in like 10 minutes. Silly men. It takes me at least 2-3 hours to pack and that assumes I did all the laundry before starting to pack (which is a poor assumption).

Have fun on your trip! 

20 hours to get to new york. good times. got stuck at Houston for 8 hours, finally landed in Newark at 3am. Powering through to catch the 5am train into the city. Am I happy that I packed hb eggs, tuna, carrots, plums, olives, avocado, soaked nuts, and oranges? Why yes, yes I am. Very happy indeed. That was the menu for the last day. It's getting a little old, people!

Note to self: direct, nonstops only from now on forever. Man, I need a shower and a nap.

ACK! Yes I agree that nonstop is the way to go when financially possible. Great job resisting airport temptation. I too always have lots of good food when I travel. Airport + hunger is always disaster for me.

Have fun in NY and take pics please.

I hope you have fab vacations, so it would be worth suffering. I remember when I was a poor student we used to do crazy cheap trips with like 3 connecting flights or multiple shuttles/airport transfers. Good memories, but never again :D 

I love packing because I usually get my closet in order along the way. Watching men packing is an entertainment for sure. Very short one  :rolleyes:

So far so good, and I have a feeling it's gonna be easy to stay on track here. Eggs, sausage, veggies and potatoes for lunch after a needed nap; fabulous sausage, sauerkraut and fries for dinner at a beer garten in williamsburg (no beer for me). Early to bed, I'm running on fumes.

The cost of procrastination, we waited tooooo long to book better options without breaking the bank. Next flights I need to book are to Indonesia for September, and I really ought to be starting that process now. Sigh.

Back to Brooklyn.... handful of almonds first thing, goats milk yogurt and smoked turkey breast farmers market. Walked all afternoon in the park with 3/10 of N's (BF's) siblings. It is so dang humid here, and one would think having grown up on the east coast it wouldn't bother me. But I turn into a drippy, cranky old lady in the humidity, always have. I like our SoCal weather.

I do think I would be faring much worse if I were eating crappy food. I actually feel pretty good. If anything, I'm not eating enough for all the activity.

Big dinner party at the home another of the sisters... pork roast with chimichurri, watermelon and feta salad, mango salad, and a spinach and egg pie. Declined dessert (I am saving myself for the wedding cake :D). I really hadn't eaten enough and so had a handful of soaked cashews before bed. Got back to our place around midnight, and slept in today. 

The wedding is this afternoon. Gonna chill and drink coffee and get ready, and get to Staten Island by about 3. Party'll go till late. I'm having cake. 

Sitting at the airport in Chicago. Lunch at Potbelly Sandwich Shop... "A Wreck salad," swiss and blue cheese included, with balsamic and dark chocolate which I had to search the whole airport for. Dark chocolate covered ginger for the connecting flight home. I'm not as well-fortified as the trip in.
The wedding was fun, but the cake sucked, so I only had a couple bites.
I have been a very good girl and I ate well and pretty damn on track. Pictures when I get home.

Archived