Just catching up. Love the wedding photo! Looks like a marvelous smear wedding. Great dress and the makeup is perfect. :)

I never did kraut either. Summer is _not_ my season for projects. Self improvement or otherwise.

Glad you are doing well. Hope your husband gets well. I never sleep when my husband is sick. Hope you can steer clear of it!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Beets  :).

Well, folks, I think I am getting the plague. Throat hurts and this is how it started with my son and then with N. Looooong incubation period, like a week+ each. I have to work overnight tonight :(

Ok, enough complaining.

Wait, no, more complaining. *TMI alert*  I was so horrendously, stinkily gassy last night. A little bit the night before, but bad last night.

The last nasty I ate was a handful of jelly beans on Monday. And before that, a piece of wedding cake on Sunday night. The only thing I can attribute it to is the nuts, which I soaked but then dried mostly in my new food dehydrator. I soaked them for 24 hours! And then dried them for about the same, and finished them off in the oven. Could it be? Guess I'll have to experiment, hold off and then try them again in a couple days. Oh... maybe it was the kombucha I made? Drank some Monday. Life is confusing  :huh:.

Last night I came home from work and was 'too tired to cook,' blah blah blah, so I got into that grazy, foragey zone... some soaked almonds, some coconut chips, a carrot dipped in homemade mayo, half a cantaloupe. Finally I decided I just. needed. protein. So I whipped up a can of tuna in mayo and put it on romaine leaves. Voila, grazy, foragey, cravings went away *poof!* Isn't biochemistry amazing?

What a life changing ability, so simply recognize my body's needs and comply. Some people have this skill without even trying! Blows my mind. And the fact that this blows my mind.... blows my mind.

Confession: a cookie, a lemon bite, 8 m&ms

Also: meat and veggies and healthy fats.

Want MORE cookie, lemon bites, m&ms...

---> salmon, mayo, romaine, 1 egg over medium, roasted peppers, guac. Lotsa water.

---> a mash of coconut flakes, honey and cocoa powder. M&Ms, rationed by N. Thank goodness.

Today... Almonds and coffee and coconut milk. Grilled chicken veggies salad. Still full 5 hours later.

Long week, sick. Tired. Premenstrual. Must tread carefully.

Hovering on the edge, folks.  Right, Nadia, breathe.

I can just feel my power seeping out, and I don't like it. What s the biomechanism of premenstrual sugar cravings? I wonder if it is in part self-medicating the dysthymia? Feel like a biotch? Grab some M&Ms!

My PMS really is worsening perimenopausally. Time to see a naturopath and balance these hormones. I keep saying that... just need to find the right person. 

Loads of grilled chicken in the fridge. Having protein ready is half the battle here.

The theory that makes the most sense to me is that our bodies need more energy and nutrition before we menstruate and the sugar cravings may come from unusual drops in blood sugar because of that. I know personally I'm much more hungry and drop weight quickly right before my period. 

I would suggest increasing your portion sizes a bit and see if that helps. Make sure you get enough magnesium (that is what causes the chocolate cravings specifically). Maybe take an epson salt bath or apply some magnesium oil to your abdomen. 

Feeding the sugar cravings with sugar will just get your blood sugar more out of whack and make them worse.

You can beat this!

Thanks for your support, ladies. 

No, I have not fallen off the deep end. Doing okay, actually, just riding my own bike. Every wobble I recover from deepens my strength and resolve. Sounds like a slogan, but it's true.

I have fallen out of cooking mode, and that has been making template-compliance difficult. I've run out of tuna. To the store today. I have a friend who just had a colon resection and am making her a crockpot something for when she gets home. That outta get me back in the zone.

My latest project is my 14 year old son who is not an athlete.  We have been working out together with kettlebells and body weight conditioning. I have appointed myself as his personal trainer. It's fun because I get to call him a maggot and tell him to give me 20 more, and we both laugh.

We both need to release some fat and get better conditioned for our 6 week trip to Indonesia in September. It's right on the equator and so flippin hot and humid. Last time I was there I felt like a wet sponge the whole time. I would like to minimize that as much as possible, and as my kids (who are both coming) and I are "sweaters" we will all be more comfortable if we can get better conditioned to withstand that extreme climate.

I'm a little out of cooking mode too right now. Tuna, grass fed hot dogs, and the whole chicken I cooked this weekend are my staples right now. 

So fun about the time you are spending with your 14 year old! Glad you can enjoy that time together. Awesome that you are taking your kds to Indonesia in Sept too! Do you home school or are they just missing the beginning of the school year?

The latter, Physibeth. We'll make a home schooling contract with their school for the time they are gone.

So, now I have fallen off the deep end. And the thing is, I don't really care at the moment. But I will, and then I'll be back  :rolleyes:.

The latter, Physibeth. We'll make a home schooling contract with their school for the time they are gone.

So, now I have fallen off the deep end. And the thing is, I don't really care at the moment. But I will, and then I'll be back  :rolleyes:.

That's pretty cool! Way to not be a slave to the system! The travel experience will be far more educational I'm sure.

Just don't stay in the deep end to long. Make sure you swim back before you run out of energy to tread water.  ;)

Hey all. I have been completely dialed in re: food, and within a couple days of reeling it in I felt great. I'm hoping that's a sign of metabolic flexibility... can bounce right back. Psychologically, I needed to state definitively. "I am doing another W30," but I don't know that I need to label it as such... maybe it was just a giant wobble and this is just what it is for me, post W30 life and learning to right myself after such things.

Thanks to help from Lizzard and Nadia I made 2 crockpot stews (beef shanks slow cooked... marrow, yum; and a pork and root thing that came out great using the spices Liz suggested) that are filling my friend's fridge and freezer, along with spaghetti squash and mashed turnips. I'm plotting to feed her for awhile, especially when she starts her chemo within a couple months... bone broth, and more stews.

I brought her some kombucha but have told another friend who has been over there a lot that she should drink it herself...raw foods not a good idea during acute cancer treatment (PS, the orange I made with the "bad" brew made with flavored tea is delicious. What a great surprise!) No raw honey for her either, maybe for her 1 year post-chemo celebration.

Also, had the most amazing massage/bodywork done a couple days ago that left me nearly pain-free for about a day, but this poor body that is so accustomed to being wrecked, is derailing again so I texted her for another appointment soon. She comes to the house, it's fantastic.

Working through Convict Conditioning (baby steps through bodyweight progressions to one armed push- and pullups... oh yea. On my 50th bday I'll do a 1-handed pullup). Healing and strengthening all the micro-architecture.

Booking flights to Indonesia today finally. Foods gonna be interesting there... lots of white rice. I'll be in a very poor, remote area of Borneo, so no cool, gourmet traditional Balinese or Javanese options. Very simple traditional foods there and I can't be picky. It'll all be fine and I am not gonna get all stressed and OCD about it. Last time I was there I did just fine with it.

So life is good. For the first time since I started paleo-esqing in December I am feeling pretty mellow about all this. Some of us tend to put so much pressure on ourselves to do 'it' perfectly the first time ('it' meaning everything, right?). Glad that's letting up a bit.

I'm jealous of your traveling.  I am doing a Whole30 in September.  I socialize a lot in the summer and I want to plan to do a Whole30 in Sept and Jan every year (lose the summer beer weight and the winter holiday weight).   I've been pretty good Paleo except for drinking beer and eating out a bit too much which leads to some unplanned offroading. 

I think I may try CrossFit when the kids start school.  Yikes.  Then I'll know I'm off the deep end of all of this...

• 6 months later...

I just finished my third W30, documented in riveting detail in Whole30 Logs under "DB's third time's a charm."

Now 1 week later, and after a weekend at a vegetarian retreat, I am sticking close to the template because:

1. I like it

2. It works for me

3. I'm in the habit

4. I have more to learn. I need these rules to stick to 3 meals a day with protein, veggie, fat with no snacking in between. I need these rules to temper my gravitation to dried fruit and nuts.

The mental anguish that comes with going off the rails--which I seem unable to do in moderation, it's all or nothing, if not immediately then eventually--is simply not worth it. I don't like this aspect of myself, but.. there it is.

Oh, and

5. I am ready to release some of this weight. The middle-age spread thing is really bothering me. I am 5'1.5" and currently weigh 146lbs.  I feel lumberingly big. I would like to let about 20-25 lbs of that go. So if I stick close to W30 template I can tweak for fat loss.

That said, last night we got Greek takeout. I had two kabobs, fish and lamb, greek salad topped with feta, rice, and a very small handful of french fries with a bit of organic ketchup made with cane sugar. I didn't have a pile of fries, or the pita bread. I didn't freak out about unknown oils, or anything else about it. I ate it I enjoyed it. I'll need to be careful for the next few days as even a little sugar will wake the sleeping dragon. I will be surprised if I don't experience sugar cravings. Even after vegetarian-land I had major sugar cravings (Thank you included sugar and RxBars, delicious but another food without breaks for me). Sweet potatoes to the rescue.

I'll check in periodically here but I want to try to not obsess with this website and visit several times daily. I don't think that's healthy. Need to ride my own bike. But it's good to know you're all here.  :)

Archived