Lauraska's New Whole30 Log

lauraska

Hello all!

So a bit of background - almost a year ago, I successfully completed two Whole30s in an effort to confront and overcome the PCOS that I had been battling since teenagehood. At the same time, I was just starting medication (metformin and then victoza) that would help in these efforts. I lost about 40 lbs and then plateaued. I am mom to a two year old boy with a demanding job that involves a good deal of travel. I haven't gained any of the weight back in the last couple months of off-road eating, but I also haven't felt well at all. I am ready to get back on the paleo horse and I know myself well enough to realize that I need to start with a Whole30 to really make it happen. Yesterday was my son's birthday party so I had my slice of cake during the celebration and now I'm on Day 1 and feeling good about it.

I have a lot of goals to accomplish in the next few months and as cheesy as it sounds, I know that getting my eating on track is the first, and probably most important, step towards getting what I want in life. I'm currently training for a 5K in October for Cervical Cancer which I'll be running in honor of my mother, I'm also on the job market to take the next step in my career with the knowledge that image can sometimes be important with what I do for a living, and my husband and I agree that we want to try to have a second child sometime in the next couple of years. So here it goes...back on track...

Day 1

(still getting an appetite back after a nasty stomach virus came home from daycare and went around the family)

Breakfast - iced coffee with coconut milk, three hard boiled eggs, leftover sliced veggies and fruit from birthday party

Lunch - salad with some sort of protein (haven't gone out to get it yet - lazy)

Dinner - balsamic chicken breasts with stir fried veggies (we have ALOT of cut veggies left over from the birthday party. I'm sort of a proud mama about the fact that he was one of the few kids who ate a handful of them!)

Feeling good on Day 2!

Breakfast - Paleo Parents bacon brunch casserole (sweet potato, carrot, zucchini, egg, bacon, spices) and a few pieces of cut fruit leftover from my son's birthday party. Iced coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch - Leftover chicken breast from last night with paleo mayo, salt, pepper, and leftover chopped veggies from the birthday party.

Dinner - Grilled london broil over salads with balsamic vinegar and EVOO.

EDIT: Came home and the london broil was still half-frozen! That's okay. I was able to concoct an awesome marinade for it to sit in while it finishes defrosting in the fridge - fish sauce, lime juice, lime zest, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper. Dinner ended up being a bed of greens topped with a grassfed beef burger (from our local fancy burger joint!) with avocado, bacon, tomato, and onion, drizzled with balsamic and olive oil.

Day 3

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly my body positively adjusts to this way of eating. I've learned through my other two Whole30s that I am definitely someone who is prone to inflammation and water retention. My weight can fluctuate dramatically throughout my monthly cycle, but I noticed it was even more pronounced during this most recent bout of off-roading with food. It's only Day 3 and two of my co-workers separately asked me today if I'd lost more weight! My skin feels clearer already and my energy levels are much more consistent.

Breakfast - Paleo Parents breakfast casserole. More cut fruit from the birthday party (the last of it). Iced coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch - tuna with paleo mayo, cut up fresh veggies, and a couple hard boiled eggs

Dinner - marinated london broil, sauteed spinach & chard, mashed butternut squash

Another good day. I'm still having some digestion issues but I wonder if it's just the remnants of the latest stomach virus that my son brought home from daycare. Nonetheless, I've been researching kombucha brewing and I'm thinking of taking a stab at it in the hopes that drinking some every day will help my gut.

Breakfast - more of that breakfast casserole and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch - Leftover steak from last night with spinach and broccoli.

Dinner - Chicken wings with salt, pepper, and cayenne, sprinkled with coconut aminos and baked at 425 for 20 minutes then thrown under the broiler for 5. I also sauteed some sliced carrots and zucchini in ghee with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Day 5 is in the books!

I've been trying to get motivation for working regular exercise back into my routine. I joined Fitocracy and downloaded the app so we'll see. If anyone is on there, let me know. We'll be Fitocracy friends!

Breakfast - the usual

Lunch - had a work lunch at a restaurant. Got a salad with dry grilled salmon and just balsamic in the side.

Dinner - Realized I forgot to thaw meat for dinner so we hit up this new BBQ joint we've been wanting to try. Their meat is just dry rubbed and smoked, and they use high quality meats. Plus they even had two veggie sides that were compliant! I asked lots of questions and it's a local fave for the paleo crowd. So I had some ribs, pulled pork, broccoli salad, and roasted mushrooms.

Yay, lauraska! So glad to see you doing so well. I'll be following you and getting ideas for meals. I'm also probably right behind you in doing a Whole30 (probably starting May 1st). Keep up the great work.

I was worried about this weekend since we are a little family on the go from Saturday through Sunday and a lot of our meals are eaten out. But we are a regulars at a few places in the neighborhood so I felt comfortable asking lots of questions and making special requests.

Brunch - the house breakfast at our local gastropub where we have brunch every saturday after my son's swimming lessons. The regular meal has organic bacon, house-made pork breakfast sausage (just pork and spices), two eggs, roasted tomatoes, roasted mushrooms, black eyed peas, potatoes, and toast. I asked for extra mushrooms instead of the beans, substituted salad greens for potatoes, and nixed the toast.

Dinner - a friend of ours from NYC was in town for a concert and met us for dinner at another local joint that has an outdoor beer garden with a food truck that serves house-made sausages and hot dogs. I got a sausage topped with housemade chili that had no beans, and chopped onion. (No bun, of course.) Wicked impressed with myself!

Another successful day on the road.

We headed out in the morning to get to the grocery store before it got busy. My husband mentioned wanting to get iced coffees on the way, so I quickly packed some coconut milk so that I could get a plain DD iced coffee and add my own stuff. He got a breakfast sandwich but I waited until we were at the grocery store and hit the salad bar to grab a couple hard boiled eggs and some veggies.

Lunch was carrot sticks, some compliant organic salami that I got at the grocery store, and a few olives.

Dinner - my father in law wanted to go to dinner and he is a notorious saboteur of my attempts to be healthy, so I suggested going to the same BBQ place we went to on Friday because I knew I'd have plenty of options. I enjoyed pork belly, brisket, and beef ribs along with the most amazing slaw I've ever tasted (no sugar, and housemade oil/egg mayo...I asked!).

Now I'm sipping on my first ever bottle of kombucha and loving it. I bought a bottle of GT's original flavor to see if I'd like it and it's delicious! I might try my hand at brewing some next weekend.

I made it through a whole week (and a day). Yay!!

Day 8

Breakfast - a new breakfast casserole - I used the broiler to some bacon, halved cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and garlic with salt and pepper and EVOO. Once they were good and cooked, I drained off the grease, beat a dozen eggs together and poured them into the pan over the roasted stuff. I baked the whole thing at 350 for a half hour. Yum. Served a slice with half an avocado and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch - slices of compliant salami, some olives, peach slices, carrot sticks

Dinner - baked chicken breast with roasted carrots and turnips, sauteed swiss chard

Day 9

So we have been buying our meat from a local butcher who sells "family packs" of cheaper cuts of meat for incredibly good prices. The meat is all locally sourced and while we can't always afford the grassfed options, they are not that badly priced so I sometimes opt to include them in our order when we can. In our last order, we had a beautiful pork roast. I defrosted it and then realized this morning that I'd never looked up any recipes. So I winged it. I threw it in the crockpot, coated it in salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder, and lemon zest. Then I added the juice of a lemon and a bunch of beef bone broth. I let it cook on low for 8 hours and voila! I think next time I'd add a bit more liquid, but other than that, it was great. Very lemon-y, just how I like it!

Breakfast - the casserole plus coffee with coconut milk

Lunch - leftover chicken, greens, and roasted veg from last night.

Dinner - roasted pork, mashed cauliflower, and a simple slaw of red cabbage, EVOO, vinegar, salt, and pepper.

Dinner - my father in law wanted to go to dinner and he is a notorious saboteur of my attempts to be healthy, so I suggested going to the same BBQ place we went to on Friday because I knew I'd have plenty of options. I enjoyed pork belly, brisket, and beef ribs along with the most amazing slaw I've ever tasted (no sugar, and housemade oil/egg mayo...I asked!).

Wow, you sabotaged him! Ha! In your face, food pusher! ;)

Hey there! Despite a crazy few days, I have not fallen off the wagon! Just got too busy to post..so here's a big long post for your enjoyment...

Day 10

Breakfast - the usual

Lunch - leftover pork/mashed cauliflower/slaw

Dinner - jeez, I can't remember! But it was compliant.

Day 11 - on Thursday, I had a job interview at a local elite women's college. It was an almost-all-day affair and I had to be there early. Luckily my eating stayed relatively on track despite nerves AND a crazy schedule. I'm considering it a success even though it wasn't 100% grade A perfect.

Breakfast - a banana and coffee with coconut milk, in the car on the way out to the college.

Lunch - I was eating with the head honcho at the campus restaurant. I had their infamous pecan crusted chicken spinach salad. I asked a lot of questions about the pecan coating and was happy to hear that it did not have sugar, but sad to hear that it had a bit of panko. The waitress came back from the kitchen and told me that the chef said the coating was much more pecan-centric and he was right. The salad was just chicken, spinach, and tomato (it did come with cheese, but I got one without). I was nervous that my interviewer would think I was a problem child with all my special requests, but he actually figured out where I was going with them because he's eating paleo right now too! Phew.

Dinner - organic thai chicken burger with asian slaw and house-made mayo, plus a couple pan-fried plantains, from our local fancy burger joint.

Day 12

Breakfast - the usual

Lunch - my boss has been trying to show appreciation for staff with surprise free lunches on Fridays where she picks a staff member who gets to choose. This week's chooser went with...pizza. BUT they had a delicious looking salad with shrimp, so I was able to get that instead and it was great!

Dinner - My son and I were on our own for dinner, so we shared some brisket, pulled pork, roasted mushrooms, and house-made slaw from that awesome BBQ place that we hit twice last week. I might need an intervention.

Day 13 - that brings us up to today.

Breakfast - a banana

Lunch - Steak and eggs at our usual Saturday brunch spot. The steak was grass fed and the marinade ingredients were compliant. I skipped the toast and substituted salad greens for the potatoes.

Dinner - We haven't had it yet but I think we need to make a quick run to Whole Foods for milk for the kid, so it might end up being their salad bar and kombucha for me.

My two year old is fully into the terrible twos and this weekend was...stressful. I am not naturally a patient person, so I really had to work at not losing my mind over the last couple days. After another afternoon of Charlie testing boundaries, I had vowed that I was going to come home and relax with a nice cold beer, Whole30 be damned. I opened the fridge and a bottle of kombucha caught my eye. I was more excited to drink that than a beer, so I did! Crisis averted as a cooler Whole30 head prevailed.

Breakfast - two eggs scrambled, a few olives, and a banana.

Lunch - kelp noodles with a sauce of almond butter, sesame oil, red wine vinegar, a splash of coconut aminos, and a bit of salt. I've had the kelp noodles for a while and our cupboards were almost bare as we waited for a grocery delivery. These did not have carrageenan in them. I'd never had kelp noodles before. Wasn't impressed.

Snack - I don't normally snack, but I don't think lunch was substantial enough and I spent the afternoon running around after a toddler. I had a bit of compliant salami and a few olives.

Dinner - locally made compliant turkey sausages, roasted cauliflower, sauteed spinach.

Great job swapping out that beer for kombucha! Two year olds are a handful, right? It sounds like you have a lot going on. Good job putting your food choices at the top f your priorities.

Day 15 - Halfway there! I work in higher education and this weekend is my institution's reunion weekend. I've already psyched myself up for staying booze-free and today we had to pick our entrees for Saturday night's big gala dinner. Our caterer is one of the best in Philadelphia and they were so nice about all my questions. I ended up picking a beef short rib meal and they let me get double veggies instead of one veg and one side of polenta. Fingers crossed that the rest of this week goes that smoothly!

Breakfast - slow cooker breakfast casserole (ground pork, sweet potato, eggs, coconut milk, tomato, peppers, chili powder, salt, and pepper) with an avocado. Coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch - leftover sausages and roasted cauliflower from last night

Dinner - shrimp sauteed in olive oil and garlic with zucchini noodles. Fresh green beans with lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Dinner was pungent but tasty!

Day 16

I've been very peckish today and the only thing I can think of is that I'm a few days away from getting my period, and my appetite does tend to increase at that time of the month. At least I've kept my snacks compliant (all natural salami and olives).

Breakfast - crock pot breakfast casserole, avocado, and coffee with coconut milk

Lunch - leftovers from last night (shrimp, zucchini noodles, green beans). Now that I think about it, I only ate the shrimp and the beans so my snacky behavior was probably due to a legit hunger.

Snack while I cooked dinner - bits of salami and some olives

Dinner - Chicken "breaded" with egg and a mix of coconut, almond meal, paprika, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder, then baked. Roasted carrots, parsnips, and brussel sprouts.

Day 17 - Good day. This is one of the roughest weeks of the year in my field, since we are gearing up for reunions at the university where I work. The directors in the office decided to rotate through bringing in treats for breakfast to keep morale going and I volunteered to bring in muffins. I didn't touch a single one! Very proud.

I saw a Groupon today for a local Crossfit box. I did one of these once with a Crossfit that was sort of a hike from my house and ended up dropping out because it was too far and I didn't really like the crowd. Plus they had us do all three onramp classes in one session and I was in a lot of pain afterwards. But I love this style of workout and want to start pushing myself again. I dunno. Gonna think on it.

Breakfast - the usual

Lunch - leftover chicken and roasted veg from last night

Snack - couple pieces of salami and a couple olives.

Dinner - Locally made (and compliant) merguez lamb sausage, with homemade slaw of cabbage/olive oil/vinegar/salt/pepper, and sauteed cabbage. I wasn't really feeling the sausage so I put it back in the fridge for my husband to eat tomorrow and ended up eating the last piece of chicken from last night.

Rough day but I did my best. I've already pretty much figured that I'm going to make this a Whole60, so if I inadvertently ate something non-compliant tonight (see below), I'm okay with it...pretty much.

Breakfast - the usual

Lunch - I have this tradition that I've started during busy and stressful times at work. I sneak off to one of the nice restaurants across the street from my office and treat myself to a solo lunch at the bar where I can be alone and collect myself to gear up for the craziness ahead. Since it's the eve of our annual reunion weekend, I took myself out to lunch at the seafood place across the street. I had a beautiful piece of salmon with a mashed cauliflower and sauteed green beans. They use a clarified butter for their sautes.

Dinner - This is where it got tricky. I had an event to attend which was just heavy appetizers served by waiters. I tried to pick and choose which ones to eat based on what I could tell were the ingredients. I passed on the cheesesteak eggrolls, picked the pulled pork off the top of risotto balls, ate sliders without the bun, and stalked the waiters that were serving the scallop ceviche and broiled lamb bites. The funniest moment was probably when I carefully picked the shredded wheat-like coating off a piece of asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. I was still a little hungry when I got back home, so I noshed on a few olives and some tuna from the can.

I haven't disappeared, but this weekend was nuts with work and it wasn't 100% perfect. I didn't have a single drink all weekend, which wasn't hard to do because a) I was working (although that doesn't stop most of my co-workers) and B) I don't really drink a lot anyway. Every single meal that I ate on my own (usually breakfast and lunch) was compliant. There was one lunch that was catered, but I did my best to pick out food that was as close to compliant as possible (chicken breast, salad greens w/tomato, a couple pickles, etc). Friday night was catered appetizers, so I did the same thing as Thursday and tried to pick and choose which ones I ate. There were pancetta wrapped shrimp and I stalked the people serving those. The baba ganoush was delicious and I took carrots from a separate table and dipped them in it. Last night was a sit down catered meal that I'd pre-ordered and I just asked them to give me extra veg and leave a polenta cake off my plate. I was running around again after eating, so I was able to just skip dessert.

Today, I ate a compliant brunch at our favorite local place and had sashimi and seaweed salad for dinner. I stocked up on all my Whole30 faves for this week to get back in the game for reals. I'm not restarting the clock as I've opted to go at least 60 days anyway.

It sounds like your weekend was filled with challenges and you spent time figuring out your best options instead of just giving up. Good job. Be careful tomorrow to not let anything drag you astray. I sometimes do go at the event, then fall apart afterwards.

I will probably be extending my 30 too.

Archived