Newbie starting Whole 30 soon

TXN11

Hey all,

I came across this site after my doctor recommended I try the Whole 30 plan. I even read the book It Starts With Food, and am re-reading it to make sure I understand everything. I'm excited to try this, but a little nervous.

I have no major travel plans between now and mid-June, so that time frame would be a great time to fit my first Whole 30 in. I'll go to the grocery store like Whole Foods this week and get the on-plan foods.

I live and work in Texas and if you've seen a young-ish middle aged guy (I'm 33) browsing the grocery store with a scowl on his face and muttering "they put sugar in THAT?", that's probably me! Coming from a family history of diabetes, I have done a lot to avoid excess sugar even before today, so I don't really have sugar cravings. My weakness is cheese and it's definitely going to be... an adjustment... going without cheese for 30 days.

One potential issue that could cause slip-ups is that I eat out a lot for date nights with my wife and other social occasions. I'm going to have to learn how to order at restaurants without being rude or a downer, and at the same time be able to stay on-plan.

What makes it even harder, is my wife isn't quite on board with this... she said I can go ahead and try this, but is skeptical of anything that says "don't eat this, don't eat that". I tried explaining the plan to her, but I couldn't explain it clearly enough. Oh well. If she or other people ask, I'll just say "hey, my doctor recommended it to me" and they'll probably leave it at that then. And if I get good results after 30 days, I'll just let the results speak for themselves. Here's hoping.

I'll start my own Whole 30 log where appropriate, and keep this forum appraised of my progress, and in return, y'all should keep me accountable! :)

Good to be here!

First..I love your doc and so happy W30 is catching on in the medical community. Is this an MD or Natropath? My doc glazes over when I try to talk W30 so I just don't.

Has your wife read the book? Would she be willing to read it? It's an easy peasy read and sometimes loved ones need to injest from a source different from us. :)

Thanks for replying! Surprisingly, my doc is actually a MD primary care physician.

No she hasn't read the book yet, but said she's open to reading it... and that's probably the best idea. The book explains it so much better than I ever can.

First welcome!

Second I am also THAT person when I go out to eat. We all are :). I just look at the waiter/waitress and say "are you ready, I am HIGH maintenance. ". That makes them laugh and when you order like Susan suggests they just say "oh that was easy!"

Cheese. I SO know. It is only 30 days. You got this!

Welcome!!! And seriously? What is it about the cheese?? I just recently finished my first W30 and that was the one food I can say that I really, really missed!!!

Don't worry about the skeptical wife. I can tell you that most of the skeptics in my life changed their tune when they saw the changes in me and realized that there really is no starving or deprivation and that eating this way has changed my entire relationship with food. When she sees the amazing and fresh meals you are having she might even want to give it a try! My hubby has no interest in changing his eating habits but he really has without knowing it because I prepare the meals at our casa. Sometimes the good stuff just rubs off on people!!!

Good luck to you!!! Use the forum, ask questions, stay connected! It helps! ;)

I just came back from a trip to Austin. Texas is a great place for this diet! I was able to eat out at most places, no problem. Order a steak, chicken, seafood. Tell them no butter sauce please, and for the side, order some steamed or grilled veggies, mushrooms, salad with oil and vinegar, an olive and pickle plate, fresh fruit, a sweet potato with no toppings,, etc. It was actually really easy to eat out, and no one will give a darn if you order something special. If you are like me, the bread bowl they usually bring is a little killer, so I asked for something on plan for me, like some olives, just to keep my mouth busy while everyone else noshed.

Now to be fair, eating out can be risky because you never know what the chef will add, but if you really can't avoid it, then you can do your best to minimize the unknown. It is sad that your wife isn't supportive of your diet. I was out with co-workers, and told them about my diet. We made a challenge of it, and I dared everyone to try and eat on my plan at dinner. It was easy and we all had fun, and no one complained at all.

First..I love your doc and so happy W30 is catching on in the medical community. Is this an MD or Natropath? My doc glazes over when I try to talk W30 so I just don't.

My doctor also recommended Whole30, having done it himself to see the results. He is a DO in family practice.

As for a spouse not buying into it, my husband said he'll support me. I also explained to him the thermostat analogy that It Starts With Food presents, and it made more sense to him. My thermostat has been screwed since I hit puberty. I won't go into shoulda, woulda, coulda, but I am glad I have found this now and will begin full on May 1. I'm easing into it for the next week, changing over groceries, doing a lot more label reading, etc. Did you know that honey is an ingredient in beef stock (Kitchen Essentials)? I didn't!

Hang in there!

I love the olive idea Todd!

Definitely something I need to remember!

When eating out, though, do you ask them what kind of oil they use in their oil and vinegar dressing? I'm thinking of making some Greek dressing and taking it with me when/if I go out to eat. Nice and spicy, and made with appropriate ingredients.

My wife and I had a conversation about this, and while she isn't going to go paleo any time soon, she will support me on my Whole 30.

She does try to eat healthy and agrees with minimizing processed foods, sugar, etc - she just doesn't believe in "fad diets" even though I did say this isn't actually a diet. She does like the idea of me cooking more in our home for our family.

So, we're cool.

Archived