Tough love...slips vs choices, please?

When I read the material for doing a whole 30 And later when I read ISWF I distinctly remember that going off track/slipping/cheating is not allowed going off track is a choice... not an accident, By making bad choices you are selling yourself short and IMO compromising the integrity of the whole 30, and everyone committed to following the rules.

And that pisses me off a lil ...

I think clarification and examples of slips and choices and lessons learned...could be very helpful...

( a lil tough love without attacking anyone personally? )

The program is designed to give your body a complete and total break from inflaming, gut irritating, hormone altering, mind bending foods and as a result the rules must be followed if you want to experience the greatest results. I've read about accidental consumption of off plan foods, i.e. the restaurant staff tells you incorrectly the dressing is sugar free. Those accidents don't necessarily result in a restart, although the person may choose to restart depending on how they're feeling after and how much dressing (in that example) they consumed.

I've seen many posters who have made the choice to eat grains, sugar or consume alcohol, etc., and they pick themselves up, brush off and restart their journey. Sometimes it takes a few stumbles and falls before a person can get through the full 30 days. It's a process of learning and self discovery and it can be hard. The beauty of the W30 is that you can start any day and you can restart as many times as you need to.

I'm a little confused about your question. If you slip-up or 'cheat' during a W30, whether it's an accident or not, usually it's recommended that you restart. Sometimes people ask about these slip-ups on the board and may be told "don't worry about it, just continue on." That's usually due to a very minor amount of the offending substance, from what I've seen. IMHO, if you eat sausage that has sugar in it for example, you should restart whether you realized there was sugar in it or not. It doesn't affect you differently just because you didn't know it was there.

Off-roading is for our post-W30 life, where we make conscious decisions to eat foods that we know are not the best for us, hopefully knowing full well what the consequences will be because we went through the controlled reintro after our W30.

What is it that ticks you off?

People calling non-compliance a slip makes me mad! Compliance requires vigilance and hard work...and am annoyed by requests for a mulligan...

( I think I may be having a second go at kill all the things ... or PMS)

Yeah, when I was going through PMS last week (in the mid-teen days) I was feeling extra mad at the world. And also self-righteous. I get it. I also think the mods can't visit every single log so things get lost and it depends who happens to visit the thread.

I read a thread a few days ago where a mod said if it's a tiny bit sugar by mistake (not like, oops I jut are that spoonful of honey! Or, oh no! Just remembered I'm not supposed to eat Almond Joys! But like if you take meds and later realize there is a bit of some weirdly worded sugar--I'm riffing here, don't quote me--it's not AS BAD as eating some gluten or dairy.

The idea, as said above, is that you need the whole time to eliminate these things from your diet. And you need all 30 days clean to feel the effects.

That said, Kirsteen wrote somewhere that there is another aspect and that's whether or not starting over will discourage the person so much they never get back the will to push on for a full 30 days. (But, again, are we talking about someone who didn't read a label or who mindlessly jammed a granola bar in his mouth? IMHO willfully mis-complying is always grounds for a Do Over.)

If people are writing somewhere that they are "accidentally" eating a couple spoons of coconut ice cream or daily sides of ketchup not realizing it's full of sugar bc the person didn't bother reading a label, that's definitely willful ignorance.

But as my mom would say, those people are only cheating themselves. There's no scorecard for Best Whole 30.

Beets- thank God you get it ! PMS or no I think people are starting on a whim, and using whole 30 as a weight loss program ...( cheating is expected...)

My whole 30 is about "curing" my hot-mess-ness (ADHD/ moodiness/etc) without pharmaceuticals,sleeping better and the energy to start exercising again...

The tough love approach and structure really appealed to me. So i am going to enjoy the work, and reap the benefits, and hope you do the same!😄

I feel you.

I have similar issues. And I agree about the "diet" mindset. People are used to "doing a diet" and getting a list of food and going off and concocting Atkins Cheesecakes, etc., and this isn't that.

I guess that's just what happens when something hits the mainstream. People are always looking for a magic pill--it's our nature. Some people will read the reading and buckle down and other people won't--though I guess if they are healthier when they're done it's still good, even if not exactly a W30. :D

We mods get it, too. But there comes a time when we have to decide how much we want to push it. Some folks are genuinely trying. And, if the substance consumed isn't likely to cause a significant reaction in the body or interrupt the healing process (ie: the accidental sugar), we don't usually recommend a restart. In those cases, like Kirsteen said, the "restart" decree is likely to do more harm than good. And, as mentioned above, there are no awards for best Whole30. We want to see people succeed in changing their lives via the program, not in completing the program perfectly (or over and over again). The most important part of the program is how it empowers you to change your life going forward. If the only impression people get is that we're the paleo police, we aren't going to have much ground to help them in the long run.

Archived