Curried Carrot and Cauliflower soup

SonyaT

I adapted this recipe from a carrot and potato soup recipe I found and it helped me through the first week of my first W30. It is supper yummy! Thought I would share.

Curried Carrot Soup, with Ginger and Coconut Milk

Makes 6 main course-sized servings

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1 large yellow onion, diced

2 tablespoons peeled and chopped fresh ginger

3-4 cloves of garlic

1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder

2 teaspoons red curry paste

1 1/2 pounds (about 2 bunches) carrots, peeled and chopped (4 cups)

1/2 of a large head of cauliflower (2 cups)

1 teaspoon salt, more to taste

5 cups water (I used homemade chicken broth)

1(13.5 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk

juice of 1 lime, to taste

cilantro leaves, for garnish

Heat the oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven set over medium heat. Place onions, garlic and ginger in a food processor and pulse until a paste is formed. Add this puree, curry powder and curry paste and cook, stirring frequently for 5-10 minutes. Add the carrots, cauliflower, salt and water (chicken broth). Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 25-30 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the coconut milk.

Cool the soup slightly, then puree smooth with an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender or food processor). Add lime juice to taste – it should brighten the flavors without standing out on its own – and more salt if needed (sourness magically diminishes saltiness, so you'll want to add more salt as you add more lime).

Heat the soup gently, stirring, until it is steaming but not bubbling so as not to curdle the coconut milk, and taste again for balance and seasoning. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived