Artificial sweeteners

KayJay

I'm on my Day 54, and my husband just completed his Whole30 -- he's feeling much better, sleeping better, no cravings, and lost 15 pounds! I'm continuing on in a big way, but he only misses two things: some dairy (milk, cheese) and a way to sweeten drinks. He was already off of sugar in drinks, since it usually sent him into a hypoglycemic episode and put him to sleep. But while I've tried everything -- herbal teas, infused water, great black coffee (I'm a snob) -- the only thing he hated about the 30 days was what he drinks.

He wanted me to ask which artificial sweetener is the least offensive -- we'd recently started using the Stevia-type and that was fine. Is there a better one? And if he has a reaction, then we'll revisit what-oh-what to do.

And the milk is for coffee and chai... although he's kind of liked coconut milk for that! Score!

• Moderators

The big problems with sugar include spiking insulin, energy rushes and crashes, cravings, nutritionally empty calories, and maybe a few other things, so nothing is safe. That said, if I were going to use a sweetener, I would go with honey or ordinary granulated table sugar as being most natural and least processed.

You can also buy simply dried stevia leaf or pure powdered stevia leaf. It does have a definite flavour which some people like and some don't but it is unprocessed, it's just basically like any dried herb. I still wouldn't use it during a W30 since it is designed to sweeten things but post W30, you could always give it a try if you really want.

David Sisson has talked quite a bit about sweeteners on his site. I recently saw one that listed them and exactly what they are, what it means and how it tastes. I just googled to see if I could find that one, but could not. Other sweetener blogs by him came up though. I'll come back and post the link to the one I was thinking of. Hmmm....maybe it was Chris Kresser. Off to investigate. :)

Archived