Whole30 & Oral Contraceptives

annabel

Honestly, because I'm on the pill I wasn't expecting any changes to my cycle. But, I started bleeding a few days early this month and am having a really heavy period with severe cramps.

And all I want to eat for breakfast is ice cream and chocolate. But that's not going to make me feel any better

Hi Annabel, during my first Whole 30 I had two periods in one month, too weeks apart. Joy! I'm on the pill and have never had this happen in 17 years of taking it. I went to the doctor but they weren't concerned and just said to go back if it happens again. I'm near the end of my second Whole 30 and all is good this time, but my period was definitely heavier than usual.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. But, on the bright side, I'm hoping that this is why I haven't felt like I've lost any weight at all.

Seeing as how this doesn't seem a very common problem amongst Whole30ers makes me wonder if it's because of the formulation of the British pill. (as in the hormones in the pill here in the UK are the same for all 21 days, whereas overseas I think it's more common for them to change every week)

At least I convinced the GP last year to let me stay on the pill continuously for three cycles before taking a week off.

The sisters at the practice keep asking me if I've considered the alternative forms of birth control and seem astonished that I can remember to take the pill every day at the same time. I'm not sure what medical qualifications these women have, so I just ignore them :)

And those are my NHS complaints for the day. Well, those and the 8 weeks I've been waiting for an appointment with gastroenterology.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for bringing this up. I'm a pill person - same time every day. I started Whole 30 the day I opened a new pill pack. 5 days in and my cycle started. :o Annoying, but apparently not all that unusual. Thanks ladies. I was starting to worry. And yes, my cramp cravings have been worse. I'll have to try the sweet potato.

I'm really glad that I saw this post ... I too am on the pill and have been having a lot of issues with my monthly cycle during my first W30. I got my period a week early (very unusual for me) and have been dealing with lots of cramping and some bloating for about a week and a half now (very very unusual for me). It is definitely hard to tell how much weight I may have lost since I am dealing with this ... but it is encouraging to know that others are having similar symptoms. I am hopeful these issues will go away soon and will not be as awful during my second W30 which I plan on starting after a couple of days break.

Archived