Whole30 starting July 1!

Emily

Who's in? My family is doing our third Whole30 of 2012 starting July 1! I'm psyched and ready. I've been pretty decent about riding my own bike, but have been enjoying some off plan meals a few times a week. I'm ready to tighten things up again and I'm excited to do a Whole30 in the summer with the farmer's markets and fresh veggies!

Last Whole30 we bought a "juicer" (I think of it really as an emulsifier). This time we're buying ourselves a dehydrator—I can't wait to experiment!

My goals for this Whole30:

• No coffee (not forever, but I think a coffee break will be good for me. Plus I have a family history of diabetes and I'm really working to keep nice stable blood sugars. I'm not diabetic or pre diabetic...and I want to keep it that way!)

• Don't use nuts or nut butters as a snack. Other times I've definitely relied on nuts... this time I'm okay with a few nuts, but not often! I'm hoping the dehydrator will help with this.

• Along the same lines: don't snack. I really like to graze, which I know is mostly a psychological habit. I really want to work on eating three meals and maybe one mini-meal (if needed) but not grazing.

If you are doing a Whole30 starting close to July 1, join in here! I won't update this thread everyday but will occasionally. Yay Whole30!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting July 1.

Eating breakfast is going to be a huge challenge for me. I've been eating 2 meals a day since going Primal 3 years ago, and I'm never hungry in the morning. I've actually struggled with not eating enough food each day when eating Primal. It's only when I slide into eating the gluten-free junk that I snack-overeat and gain weight, which has happened more than I'd like to admit lately. I'm making some egg "muffins" in advance, with pastured, seasoned, ground pork and veggies, so I don't have to overthink the whole breakfast thing.

Eliminating that nightly square of dark chocolate is going to be a challenge, but really, who needs it?

I'm not giving up coffee, but I'm giving up heavy cream in my coffee. Forty years (yes, I am "of a certain age") of drinking coffee with either milk or cream is an entrenched habit. But habits can be broken, and it really is easier to drink coffee black, especially since I bring my own organic coffee along while on the road. I'm tired of having to lug along the carton of heavy cream on ice.

Giving up cheese isn't going to be easy, but I know I will feel better. (I'm allergic to casein)

Despite the challenges, I'm psyched and ready to be stricter with my diet, and hoping to jumpstart weight loss. :)

Tomorrow starts my 2nd W30... My main goal is to cut snacking...I'm a teacher, home for the summer...something about my house makes me want to eat ALL THE TIME!!! I'd weigh 790 lbs. if I was a stay at home mom!!! I also want to pump up my workouts...decrease body fat, increase muscle...

I'm jumping back in all the way starting this morning, too! I have not had to do as much off-roading as I had feared coming off my first Whole30, but even so, I need to bring my life back into some balance and sanity over the next month. Lots going on.

Goals:

1. Get back to a healthy, no-graze lifestyle of meals. Nuts belong on salads sometimes, or in dishes, but not an open bag on a counter with my hand inside. Backing off fruits (esp dates) is a part of this goal.

2. Log workouts, food intake, and both physiological and psychological responses.

3. NOT talk to everyone about food.

4. Face the holy month of Ramadan (starts later this month) knowing I CAN have a positive, character-building fast. Living in the north will mean long days, but focusing on eating well and hydrating appropriately during eating hours will keep me from focusing on hunger and thirst, and enable me to focus on the real meanings of the month. Fasting hours will span from 3:47a to 8:31p at the start of the month to 4:33a to 7:53p by the end of the fast.

So, those are the goals. And I have tools to meet them. I will log and journal on paper. I have a small notebook that fits in my (giant) purse. I have an ample supply of coconut oil, olive oil, avocados and coconut milk. I have stocked up on high-quality eggs, meats and fish, and have figured out where I can get any veg I might wish for, fresh or frozen. I have a couple of supportive family members. I have a massage scheduled for a few days into the fasting month.

Yay for Whole30!

Whew, rough day 1. I made it with no coffee, and I am sad to say that I really wanted my coffee! I work on an ambulance and many nights I don't get much sleep... but no coffee!

I wasn't so successful with avoiding nuts (hi Old Farmer! I agree, my hand needs to stop being in that bag of nuts!) or not snacking today. This will improve.

My wonderful boyfriend who cooks awesome W30 meals managed to catch dinner on fire tonight (this never happens!). To get the kids to bed at a reasonable time we had to pinch-hit with Chipotle salads, which I know involves soybean oil.

So, not a perfect day, but a day moving me slightly closer to healthier I hope. I have a long grocery list for tomorrow. I tend to find these first few days the roughest...gotta get some momentum under my belt!

Old Farmer—I'll be really interested to hear about your month of Ramadan. I hope you post here or start your own log! Dates are an issue for me too.

Susan—the snacking thing drives me crazy and it is SO psychological! I'm bored, or in-between tasks, or avoiding a task... I snack. But I am stopping!

Great job on day 1 Emily...I'm not a coffee drinker, but my husband and I LOVE our diet mtn. dew...He's not doing the W30 so our fridge is stocked, so hard to resist. Yesterday was tough... I'm sure today and tomorrow will be tougher... Last 30 day 3 was the worst for me, by 5 I felt GREAT. So, I went to the store this am to make sure that I have plenty of good compliant food. No nuts for me either, I do have some lara bars but they are for emergencies only!! ha ha...

Aaargh! Day One was hard here, too! But I did OK. Definitely reduced the nut consumption, and ate less frantically, and ate proper meals. Had some herbal tea before bed. Helps me a lot. Day Two is off to a (marginally but still) better start. Got my AM workout, had my perfect breakfast (greens and eggs), things are rolling. Notice coffee is not a goal for me? I don't consume a ton, usually, but I do love my morning coffee, and I'm OK with it, at least for now.

Yeah, Ramadan will present its own challenges, specifically with sleep. But it's important and I'm willing to put off other personal goals in trade for the growth I get from a month of fasting and practice. I need the other kind of development, too. ;)

Going to unplug for the next 4 days, as I'm out of internet AND cell range (woo-hoo!).

Susan, I just pulled a big grocery store trip too! I also have Lara bars for emergencies... mine live in a little bag that goes to work with me. Bummer on the fridge stocked with Dew... can that only be on one shelf or somewhere else that you can avoid looking? The fact that my bf is also into doing Whole30s is a tremendous help to me. He's supportive and a good cook and we don't have non-compliant stuff in the house (that I know of).

Old Farmer, other kind of development is definitely good! A month of fasting and practice... that sounds difficult, but good. I've been trying to write everyday for 30 days for awhile now, and just haven't been successful. I keep trying. Coffee wasn't a goal for me for my first few W30s, but the more I read about caffeine's relation to blood sugar (and then the more coffee I drink) the more I decided I needed a break. Enjoy being unplugged—I'm jealous!

So far so good today. Big grocery store trip, two definite meals and one definite snack (mini-meal) and dinner to go. I choose to incorporate some (like 7) almonds into my mini-snack, so I don't consider that mindless. I do feel better already! :)

Very cool you have the whole family on board. I will have to borrow that goal from you on the next trip around the moon. Hats off to your coffee crusade as well! Not sure if I could ever do without, but I am certainly cutting back. Only two cups a day for me!

Cool blog BTW. Best of luck!

So glad to be done with day 3...now I can get past this grouchy/angry phase...hahaha...we went to the beach today...so the plus side is I LOVE when stand-up paddle boarding counts as my workout but I HATE all the snacks!!! I packed and planned to remain compliant... Even had dinner out successfully...salad with mahi-mahi, oil and vinegar...(my husband gets sooooo frustrated with all of my questions: what kind of oil do you use? what do you marinade with?...lol)...how'd everyone else do?

Hooray!!! Great job staying on while eating out! And I've been wanting to try stand-up paddle boarding! Good for you!

Still on! No coffee, but in terms of snacking I did have to eat a Lara bar today as I was dashing in from one child's appointment and dashing out to another child's appointment at five this afternoon. So, a pretty sugary snack, although technically on. I came home and ate a proper meal (steelhead and cauli-couscous with lemon). YUMMM! I had a busy day all day today; did get a nice bike ride in, but I wanted to take a nap all day and never managed one. Probably for the best, as I'll be in bed soon—tomorrow is a early morning for me.

Keep on! Starting to get some momentum! I love having some days under my belt!

I love getting my daily bike ride in...my husband and I did a 10 mile loop (felt like ALOT MORE in 100 degrees!!!) today on our road bikes and found some great new mountain bike trails...yay!! No hotdogs for me tonight...picked up some fresh steamed shrimp and lots of salad fixings!!!!

Yay bike rides! I'm teetering on the edge today... I really wanted coffee this morning and throughout the day (there is always coffee available at work). I've fended off doughnuts, cookies, more cookies, yucky looking sandwiches, croutons, soda, hot dog buns, beans, and strawberry cheesecake.

I'm under attack!

Not really, other than the holiday thing, but I am happy that most of the food part of today is finished. I have snacked some (coconut butter is one heck of a treat!) but my food has stayed compliant.

:( Ugh. I'm just starting over.

I really did approach the cabin stay with every intention to stay clean, but I failed to do that. Nothing outrageous, but definitely not using the training wheels.

Wheels go back on tomorrow, along with helmet, reflective gear, headlamp and all. I am making a grocery list now, and next head out for proteins and vegetables. I just do this better in my own company, I guess. :huh:

Sorry to hear that Old Farmer... it can be tough to stay on plan in new circumstances! I am very aware how lucky I am that my boyfriend is also doing a Whole30 and we are really supportive of each other.

Day 5 down. I'm still struggling with this first week. Still on, but I'm craving stuff that I don't even normally eat when not on a Whole30! A work there are two pieces of pizza in the fridge that called out to me every time I opened it (to get my cauli-cous and steelhead, or some cherries, or an easy salad. There's free (franken) popcorn, a kind guy tried really hard to give me a free danish at a restaurant. So much free junk food everywhere! But really I'm just experiencing cravings and day 5 cranky.

Okay, there's my little rant. Not much brain fog, so that's nice. Still really missing coffee, but hanging in there. Every day I feel a bit more solid in this, a bit more committed. The more days I get under my belt the less I'm willing to give up the momentum!

Hey Everyone,

I'm a little late on here, but i'm day 5. You all seem to be doing quite well.....

Me on the other hang i've managed to pick up a cold on day 4/5 and its killing me. I'm hoping its not part of the whole30, just an offset to having a weak immune system at the moment.... I'm not at the cranky stage, though i haven't spoken to anyone today, hahah so we'll see when my brother gets home...

Keep strong guys, i'm here with you all, and ready to rock on a healthy life :)

I've learned a lot about myself since doing the first Whole30 in April and now working on this second one. My first was done abroad, on my own, with the only support systems basically virtual (IRL friends were through email; I met up with one person once the whole month). Husband not participating, two kids, blah blah...and I did it. I typically made grilled meats, fish or fowl for our big daily dinner, with a salad and a cooked vegetable dish, and to the table added a baguette for the family's bread ration and all were happy. Husband was confused at how or why his sweets-loving wife would suddenly say no to amazing Persian and Indian sweets from the shops, Afghan and Iraqi breads at street tandooris and restaurants, but eventually he saw the emergence of personal strength and he quietly accepted the new deal (and got his couscous on at a restaurant down the street, God bless him).

Now, I am temporarily living stateside (I am always temporarily living somewhere ;) ) without dh, who is still abroad for work. But I have the kids with me. I also have close access to my whole family, which can be a very good thing, and also a very challenging thing. Because you see, I killed the sugar dragon on my first Whole30. But I didn't bury it. All the emotional and psychological issues that drive my poorest eating choices are family-related, and I am smack in the middle of it now, without my best friend and personal confidant. I have one family member whose very presence is a trigger for stuffing, and whose words have immense power if I let them. They echo for weeks and months. Hell, some are still echoing from 30 years ago. :o

So as I try again (today's the new day), I'm trying to focus and reflect daily on the personal power that is a part of this practice. There is so much power in choosing what goes into my body with care, and I am so much more powerful when I am exercising my control with mindfulness and love for my own self.

And here I set with my coconut-milk coffee with a dusting of cinnamon, about to make my favorite greens and eggs with onions and Vietnamese hot sauce and get on with this day. Chicken is thawed for later, veg drawer is full, fat sources topped up, I am tapping into here and now with my kids, friends and supportive family members. There will be carb withdrawal as I avoid fruit, longings for nuts if I stay up too late (solution = go to bed, easy one), and surely a grumpy stage. But I'm going to enlist my children as supports in this, instead of obstacles to overcome, as I've discovered when I let them be assets, they rise to it.

I hope your successful sixth day is ahead. It's my square one, but I'm OK with that this morning.

Farmer,

I love your above post! So thoughtful and interspective. It is THAT very skill that will carry you through you Whole30 with success.

There is a saying: "it is the set of the sails not the direction of the wind that determines your course." Sounds like your sails have been set.

I'm trying to focus and reflect daily on the personal power that is a part of this practice. There is so much power in choosing what goes into my body with care, and I am so much more powerful when I am exercising my control with mindfulness and love for my own self.

I hope your successful sixth day is ahead. It's my square one, but I'm OK with that this morning.

Farmer, your post was very insightful. I know just what you mean by the personal power that can come from the W30. The sense of being in control over what I eat and knowing that I don't have to eat anything I don't choose to give me a quiet, wonderful sense of strength.

As for words having power if you let them—I struggle with this myself, although more in work than I home. I don't know if this will apply to you, but reminding myself that I don't have to prove myself to anyone helps me a great deal.

Enjoy your Day one! Your introspective thoughts resonate with me.

Day six. Good food so far. I've ended up home alone for the evening and my typical routine would be to get myself Thai food and a treat like ice cream, but I'm not going to do those things. This weekend I hope to cook some, because I've been feeling somewhat deprived and I know that isn't necessary on a Whole30. I am still craving sweets/carbs... it's a funny feeling in the skin on my arms and legs. Just an odd craving feeling.

I had a doc appointment today where we went over bloodwork results. It is the first bloodwork I've had since eating this way. I was really happy with my numbers; they were okay before (no flags) but they looked really good to me this time! I was interested to see that my triglycerides dropped 30 points (74-44) even though I eat WAY more fat now that I did before.

I bought a Julienne peeler and a dehydrator! I'm not a big kitchen gadget person (really!), but I'm excited to experiment with these two gadgets.

Here we are... Day 7... I've been super busy/MIA but still COMPLIANT for the past couple of days... I did have to depend on a lara bar to save me yesterday as we were car shopping (something I DON'T reccommend doing in week 1 of W30!! ha ha), so when we hadn't had dinner by 9pm... THANK GOD I HAD A LARA BAR IN MY PURSE!!! Today I am struggling... I've had mostly spinach, greens, peppers, carrots, and chicken for the past 3 days and I just want some SWEET FLAVOR... a glass of diet mountain dew is SCREAMING my name!!!! My energy levels have been good, until today and all of a sudden I just WANT to quit, to sleep, to eat pancakes... LOL... but I won't... I'll have a banana and keep trucking... :)

Archived