Whole30 starting July 1!

Emily

Keep going Susan! I'm glad you had a plan in place for emergencies like last night!

I hear you on missing sweet; I miss crunch. Nut crunch/carrot crunch/bell pepper crunch doesn't cut it... I miss potato chip/tortilla chip crunch. I miss runny egg yolks being sopped up by bread (okay, that's not crunch, but I miss that).

This morning my boyfriend bought himself a cup of coffee at the gas station (he's not giving up coffee for 30days) and he brought me a cup too! That was a struggle; I honestly went back and forth in my head: well, maybe I'll just dramatically cut back on coffee. Maybe I'll say coffee only on Saturdays. Maybe I'll just allow myself one cup per week.

But in the end, I decided I wanted to give up coffee for the whole 30 days. I've been quite surprised how much I miss it (and I even used to drink decaf with just a splash of caff in it! So I thanked him and told him that I really did want to give up coffee the entire 30 days and didn't drink any coffee.

Day 7! after today, one week down! I am surprised at how much I'm struggling with this Whole30. I guess I was hoping that this wouldn't be so hard... I didn't really go that off-track in my last no-Whole30 time. Struggle on!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH RUNNY EGG YOLKS WITH BREAD...YUM... I feel like my 2nd 30 is harder than the 1st...the 1st time I felt like I had something to prove, this time cheats and swypo are SOOOOOOO much more tempting... Tomorrow I'm taking a big trip to Trader Joes and Whole Foods, gonna get out of this week 1 rut!!

Day 8. Today wasn't so much about the food as it was many frustrations. Perhaps I'm at the "kill all the things" stage? I've never thought I had that stage before, but today started out frustrating and stayed there.

Quick run-down on frustration: the day started out with one child (10) making a spectacularly bad decision, for which she will be in trouble for some time to come. I don't know if it is us (parents) or the kids, but when one child gets in serious trouble the other two seem to have issues as well... so today the oldest had several inappropriate emotional outbursts and the youngest also got herself in a smaller amount of trouble. When this happens I always worry that we (parents) are somehow creating the bad behavior... but the kids are making the choices they make.

Later in the day we went swimming at an indoor, city pool. I grew up in a "throw them in the deep end, they'll be fine" swimming pool and I loved it. This pool drives me crazy with all their rules and ridiculousness... it's nearly impossible to swim at all there, and we are constantly getting yelled at. Today I got yelled at for multiple reasons including working on diving with the oldest child (apparently the end of the pool we were working in—which is a appropriately deep part—was randomly closed because the rope swing at the other end was open). I feel like it is a "stand-and-bob-up-and-down" pool, not a swimming pool. I love water and I want my kids to love water, but how can they in that kind of situation?

So, we'll work on finding another pool.

The good: lots of cooking was accomplished! My bf cooked tons and now we have spaghetti squash spaghetti, curry with cauliflower cous-cous, various cooked meats, and chopped veggies in the fridge ready to go. I helped and also made mayo (yum!). Some cleaning got done. Dogs and humans got exercise. Plants got watered.

What a very grown-up day of me!

Nice, Old Farmer!

My Whole30 is getting in a groove! I can tell, because now this is just how I eat again and I'm not thinking about food. AND finally the intensity of missing my morning coffee is gone. I still think about it, but now it's just a passing thought. :)

I was going to log today's foods just for the heck of it, but I didn't write them down... here, I'll try anyway (although I realize food journaling from memory is generally inaccurate). A few notes about me... I eat more fruit in the summer when it is in season (yay strawberries!) and I don't measure anything. I happily eat until I'm full.

Breakfast: 3 eggs over easy and two sausages. One glass "Juice" (kale, broccoli, 2 golden beets, 2 carrots, some fresh pineapple that we cut up and froze(say 5 chunks), 5 chunks cantaloupe, and a banana all blended up). The blender-full serves five of us, so I got 1/5 of that. As for the sausage (and the pork chops, see below)... I suspect it isn't Whole30 perfect and I know it isn't grass-fed, but not everything is perfect. None of the three additives though! I've been looking for a local, humane source for pork, but no luck yet.

Lunch: 1 Pork chop, bowl of leftover curry from last night's dinner (grass-fed beef, cauliflower "rice", coconut milk, yellow squash, red pepper, spices), some strawberries, some Santa Melon (these are on sale in Sunflower market and they are really good!).

somewhere after lunch I ate a spoonful of coconut butter because I just got a new jar and it is sooooo good! :ph34r:

Dinner: Let's see. Bf and I went climbing and then came home and rounded up a quick meal. I had another pork chop (these are cooked and hanging out in the fridge) and then some leftover spaghetti squash spaghetti (it has sausage in it) and a few more strawberries (yay strawberries!).

I had a great energy day-- up, got the kids moving, got them off for the day, worked in the garden, cleaned my office, got laundry done, did a bit a reading, then went gym-climbing. Full day but nice to accomplish a lot and not feel tired.

Oh Emily... I totaly feel you on the pool... I am a swim coach and I am CONSTANTLY getting yelled at... This past Sunday in Sunday School I asked the girls in my class what rules they deal with daily... one girl is a YMCA lifeguard and she immediatly started rattling off rules, finally she said, "if it looks like people are having fun, I just just blow my whistle..." that about sums it up... I love that we can stick to the beach during these months, much less yelling (except when tourists -commonly known as tourons- mistake dolphins for sharks!!!)...

I had to go back to work this week and next week (I'm a teacher... I'm supposed to be off!!!) which has really put a damper on things... :( I'm still compliant, just not having the fun I wanted ... spending days cooking, shopping, etc... I still haven't made that trip to Trader Joes...

I tend to eat seasonally as well... lots of fruit and berries... I have been snacking once a day (urg... I just can't seem to get down to MEALS ONLY!!!) but have cut back Lara bars to emergency meals only... I feel the same way about getting in the groove... I feel like this 30 is different... last time I was counting days and thinking about what I was going to eat on day 31... this time really feels like this is just my lifestyle...more like this IS the way I eat now... not just for 30 days... :)

Susan, I live in a tourist town also—funny, we get turns here too! :lol: The pool thing seems like a sad reflection on society to me. Your Sunday School student sounds honest. I'm sure it isn't the lifeguards; I'm afraid we must have gotten to this point through incessant litigation. That's just a guess... I haven't looked into it. I'm not that old (35) and it makes me sad what a different water experience my kids are having compared to what I was able to have.

Anyways, Whole30! Going smooth, day 11. Not much to say, except that for the last two days I was a cleaning fiend! And I'm not a big cleaner. Stable energy has kicked in and my sleep is rock-solid! And my clothes are getting looser. All good! :D

Old Farmer, are you out there?

Day 12. Things are good. I'm a little low on food (I go to work for 48 hours, so I have to take food for that long) today, but I think I'll make it.

I want to keep writing in here but I don't have much to say!

Day 15! Food is good. I'm psyched to have steak and grilled veggies tonight.

Some emotional things have happened in the past few days and I've been glad to be eating well; it helps me stay more stable emotionally. My lows aren't so low and I come back quicker.

I have not been successful on giving up coffee. :( I made it 13 days and then for a reason I can't quantify I just suddenly felt it was okay to go to a coffee shop and buy a cup of coffee. I don't know why my feeling changed so much, but it did. My 13 days definitely made me much more aware of how much coffee I was drinking, how it was affecting my gut (too much makes me sick), and how much I rely on it--I like having something in my hand, I like having something to drink when I'm driving... it's some kind of crutch.

I'm not going to make coffee at home for the rest of the month, but I will allow myself to buy one cup (I'm acutely aware of how expensive this is and it makes me do a double take) if I choose to.

In other news, I bought an awesome dehydrator and we've been dehydrating strawberries like mad! I put them in a jar when they are done and am stashing them in the garage; it's my hope that we can pull them out and use them for things in January! Yay strawberries in January! I made kale chips in the dehydrator--they were awesome. We also have done cherries and apricots with good results, and I've been doing parsley as we get it in the CSA so that it doesn't go bad on us. Jerky is next!

We're getting pretty close to buying a preserving share from our CSA and attempting canning for the first time. Anyone out there with experience? I've been reading about it. We live at 5,000', so we'll have to adjust for altitude.

While I'm talking about homesteading, I have some awesome tomato plants with tons of leaves but that aren't flowering! Does anyone know why not?

Day 17. Weird thing happened. Ate pretty normally yesterday; dinner was a steak and grilled veggies (yum!).

This morning I woke up feeling way hungover--sluggish, lethargic, generally yucky and not wanting to get out of bed. My bf was the same way. Once we got going we were okay, but rough morning!

I have no idea what caused this. I did make a horseradish sauce for our steaks last night (mixed horseradish with homemade mayo). . . I thought that would be compliant.

Any ideas on what might have happened? We really didn't go out of our normal pattern... we both climbed in the gym and then ate dinner.

Hey Emily,

YAY to being over half way!! Day 17 to me didn't start the same as your's, but leading up to this day i was how you describe. Maybe itsjust taking longer for your body to reboot????

I know i was hanging out for tiger blood, and on day 15 i just didn't see that ever coming. But i guess you've just got to hang in there and it comes in its own time........ strange that both you and your partner felt the same way......

had you eaten the steak and vegies at another time during the last 17 days and felt the same?

Ra_k_, thanks for the thoughts! I have had tiger energy up to this point; that made it doubly confusing.

We thought through what we've eaten in the past few days and came up with a (common) problem--not much starchy carbs! So for dinner we each had a sweet potato with our no-bun guac burgers and we each felt way better, almost immediately! Whew.

Day 17 down. Along with everything else I've learned in the W30, learning that 30 days really isn't that long is also a good one. It really is amazing how fast it goes.

Ahhh i see, i would totally understand your frustration then waking up like that.

Glad you guys worked it all out. It seems a sweert potato can cure almost anything ;)

If i ended my Whole 30 today, i would be the happiest person in the world. As the last 17 days have truely taught me more about my body than the last 26yrs have. And i know i am a better person for it. I'm singing praises and i'm not even two thirds of the way through :)

Can't wait to see us on day 30 :)

Day 18. Back at work. Again, I didn't bring enough with me . . . last night I just wanted to spend time with my bf before leaving for work today. The good news is that I do have access to a 24-hr salad bar, so I'm going to go get some veggies soon.

A coworker is also into eating Paleo. She doesn't know about the W30 (I told her) but we had a really nice conversation about food and how it effects us and what a difference it makes! It was nice to talk with someone else who gets it! :)

Day 18. Back at work. Again, I didn't bring enough with me . . . last night I just wanted to spend time with my bf before leaving for work today. The good news is that I do have access to a 24-hr salad bar, so I'm going to go get some veggies soon.

A coworker is also into eating Paleo. She doesn't know about the W30 (I told her) but we had a really nice conversation about food and how it effects us and what a difference it makes! It was nice to talk with someone else who gets it! :)

Isn't it? I'm lucky enough that I have 2 friends who are doing paleo too. But most people think it's crazy....one woman said "omg, why get up in the morning??" It made me so mad , I was biting my tongue "Well, if getting up to eat crap is your motivation for the day, I feel sorry for you!" was what I was saying in my head....but that might have led to a playground bloodbath :ph34r:

Wow Derval, how sad for that person! I agree with your statement... is her motivation to get up just to eat crap? Jeez. I definitely have run into my share of people who want me to know that my cholesterol will go up, I'm screwing up my triglycerides, that people who aren't officially celiac aren't doing themselves any good by avoiding gluten... at this point I just smile at them. If they really want to push it, I point out my recent lab numbers (great cholesterol and triglycerides dropped 30pts) and my weight loss.

Paleo was first introduced to me around 2006 and I thought it sounded like a crazy fad... now look at me! I think people will come around in their own time.

Hey all...been MIA for a while but still compliant... STRUGGLING right now. I am at a conference lunch was: baked potatoes, beans, cheese, "salad"...thus, I had a plate of iceberg lettuce (salad) and busted out my emergency larabar...snack that they supplied was chips and peanuts!!! I AM STARVING!!!!!!!! I'm sure my colleagues will want to get dinner together but I'm going somewhere where they have REAL FOOD!!!!

Susan, find some food! Bummer. I've had trouble at conferences too... it amazes me when there is literally nothing I can eat—I'm pretty creative! But it does happen. I hope today was the last day of your conference!

Day 19... not much to say. Good food, good energy. Bought some pants a size smaller than I've worn my entire adult life and the rise smaller is borderline too big!

Active day. I wrote in another post about how I'm not that interested in what I'll call adventure activities right now—mountain biking, climbing, etc. Today, as I was in the ambulance driving code three to a call on a winding mountain road, it occurred to me that perhaps there is enough adventure in my life right now and that is why I'm not searching out more adrenaline time like I used to. Just a thought.

Day 22. Kind of in a weird place with this Whole30. It's still going, but I'm less into it. Lately it feels a bit like I'm depriving myself just to make a point or solely because of the thirty-day deadline. I do feel better and am sleeping better; I'm just ready to start riding my own bike again and I'm trying to fine-tune my personal carb needs which is frustrating me.

I'm intentionally trying to bump up my starchy carbs to see if I have more energy for exercise (eating a sweet potato per day). I just read a fairly confusing article in Paleo Magazine that seemed to be saying that really our bodies don't need carbs. I realize this is a controversy in the Paleo world. It is a controversy for me, personally, too. I have a strong family history of diabetes (onset usually about 47; I'm 35) and I don't want to be diabetic. Yet, I want to have energy for climbing, biking, hiking, etc. Do I have to choose one or the other?

Yesterday morning I made a sweet potato hash (sweet potatoes, eggs, onion) and after I ate I felt the lethargy I associate with eating carbs. I don't like that feeling either.

Plus, I should be honest and say the weight loss thing plays in here too. My weight is very reasonable and I wouldn't say I need to lose any weight right now (I can't provide any definite numbers, but I'm currently 5'6" and guessing 145lbs or so. I don't weigh in general, but my old clothes are too big and I just bought a pair of size 10 pants which are borderline too big. That's a big change from my old 12s and sometimes 14s). The way I see it, weight loss now is basically just vanity. At the same time, I've been loving losing weight with ease and actually feeling good in my body. I'm kind of bummed to stop losing weight, although the rational side of me realizes that makes no sense.

Stupid carbs.

I think I know why my mood is off and I feel like a dork! It's that time of the month. Gerr. Or I should say GERR! How do I always get sucked into these symptoms without knowing what is going on.

Anyways, now that I've identified a likely source for my general grumpiness, I'm going to stop thinking about weight loss and carbs and stuff for about a week. To be revisited . . .

Day 23. Yesterday I made kale chips in the dehydrator—YUM! I've slightly fallen off the eat lots of vegetables wagon, so I'm going to focus on getting more in.

In other news, my tomato plants are finally blooming!

Archived