Whole30 starting July 1!

Emily

Since I'm in my final week, I thought I'd revisit my goals . . .

My goals for this Whole30:

• No coffee (not forever, but I think a coffee break will be good for me. Plus I have a family history of diabetes and I'm really working to keep nice stable blood sugars. I'm not diabetic or pre diabetic...and I want to keep it that way!)

• Don't use nuts or nut butters as a snack. Other times I've definitely relied on nuts... this time I'm okay with a few nuts, but not often! I'm hoping the dehydrator will help with this.

• Along the same lines: don't snack. I really like to graze, which I know is mostly a psychological habit. I really want to work on eating three meals and maybe one mini-meal (if needed) but not grazing

So . . .

1. No coffee. I was only successful in this for 13 days. I did realize how much of an incredible crutch coffee is for me. Not so much for waking up or getting the caffeine buzz (that makes me ill so I mainly drink decaf), but that I really like carrying around a cup and having a hot drink nearby. Although tea doesn't really cut it. I've read about links between coffee and blood sugar and that concerns me. Part of me says that I could have worse vices, which is true. Coffee may be something to work on more during a month when I'm not doing a W30. One last thought—I write, and I really like to have coffee next to me when I write (this sounds silly to me!).

In short, to give up coffee, I need a new crutch, I guess.

2. Nut butters and nuts. I've done quite well with this! Part of it is the decrease in snacking (see #3) and part is this wonderful time of year when fresh fruits and veggies are available for snacking. I have had a few almonds here and there, but nothing like in the past. I fed the kids almond butter today but I have had very little. I do think nuts slightly irritate my system, although not nearly as much as I'm coming to believe dairy does!

3. Snacking. Some days have been awesome with three meals and some days I've grazed often. Coconut butter is a weakness. What can I say about snacking? I have improved my snacking habits, but I think I can still improve on snacking.

Having thought through those, I still like to remind myself that a year ago I was still eating pink-frosted sugar cookies (and a LOT at a time), gummy bears, and wine on a regular basis. Not only was I eating them, but if they called my name I wouldn't be able to do anything else until I satisfied the calling of the pink-frosted cookies! Things have changed, which is nice to experience.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 26 complete. Today was a bit of a struggle--we were up all last night and I only got three hours of sleep. To thank us for our hard work, my boss brought in donuts! A nice thought, but every time I was in the office today I had to use up some will power. Even though I haven't eaten that kind of thing for a long time now (at least six months) I still feel a pull when they are that easy. I suspect I always will. Me and sugar--man.

To add to my sleep-deprived workday, a coworker brought in cookies her Mom had made and left them in the two main work areas I'm in. They also called to me, as I warmed up my spaghetti squash spaghetti.

One major thing I've learned from the W30 is that I can't do "just a little bit." Maybe some people can, but for me personally, it is impossible.

I'm happy to have avoided the donuts and cookies, but a part of me feels a bit deprived. Sleep deprivation could likely have a lot to do with that.

Day 28. Two more days. I'm again giving serious thought to how to approach the future.

Everytime I finish a W30 I feel like I want to continue eating this way indefinitely! But then, over time I slide and slide back to grains, cheese, wine and beer... and in 10-12 weeks I find myself bloated and uncomfortable and unhappy with myself. I've done this cycle twice now, and I truly believe one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

So what should I do differently? I have not decided for certain yet, but I'm considering eating whole30 compliant for short periods of time, say 4-7 days every month. Maybe the first week or so of every month. Short little resets, little reminders to pull back on the reins. It's a thought.

I realize I write over and over about avoiding sugar, but that is such a HUGE thing for me. In the past I would never have believed that I could do it, and I now I can. Tonight it was ice cream (at work again! My work really goes all out to attempt to poison me). I didn't have any, my not having any was commented on, but I made it. And I still even enjoyed the movie that we watched. The amount of sugar that I'm *not* putting in my body on a daily basis is mind-boggling and makes me realize how much I was eating in the past.

I can't really tell if anyone reads this but me. If someone is reading I'm interested in your thoughts (even if you just want to say that I'm boring or self-absorbed).

I'm reading! It does sound like you have a constant stream of junk at work. So I agree with Derval, how about W30 with special occassions and maybe some planned off-roads - like a family pizza night or whatever. I guess the hard thing to do will be to determine when it is 'special' enough. The ice cream at work probably isn't. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Hooray! People are out there! Thanks for letting me know that you are there. Sometimes I feel like I'm just talking with myself, which isn't necessarily bad, but I like feeling like I'm relating to someone. One of the things that really impresses me about Melissa and Dallas' writing is how relatable it is. (Melicious too!) I would like to be able to write like that.

Returning to the regularly scheduled W30 . . .

Re going forward would it work for you to stay w30 complaint except for occasions, but in your normal day-to-day, esp Mom-Fri, stay w30?

That is what I've tried to do in my last two bike riding periods. Each time I started out well, but over time (think eight weeks) I gradually lose it. Why? (that sounds sort of mature, but really I'm a three-year old saying "why-why-why-why-why-WHY!??!"). I don't know the answer, but I do think I need to try something different this time. I'm planning my next W30 for October and I want this bike ride to be more successful than my last few.

Part of it comes down to the fact that I like spontaneity. I want to sometimes say "sure, I'll get a beer."

Another part is that I don't want to constantly have to give deep thought to food and the question of "is this special?" I want to sometimes just go with the flow as far as food is concerned, and turn my deep thoughts to, say, world peace. Or—have you ever wondered who we would be if we actually were everything we say we are in advertising? Really, I would rather spend my energy thinking about that than thinking about whether or not I'm going to eat a biscuit at the sustainable farming conference.

I feel like I'm throwing a temper tantrum here! I'll stop.

I think I am going to try some short little Whole4s or so during this next bike ride. Short little reminders to myself. Tugs on the reins. A bit of pedaling in the big gear amongst the coasting. My hope is that these brief periods will help me keep that gradual decline from happening.

I'm the same Emily. i have decided to add on a few more days cos i'm scared of what the future holds. Hahah, figured since i was scared about it, i wasn't quite ready to face the world of sugar. So i'll finish the week out, and see what i feel like doing on Saturday (its monday here).........

Archived