% body fat

I'm not an athlete, but not sure where else to post this.

My husband and I are on day 23 and were already thin people.

Now, I'm worried that we're getting too lean. My husband's body fat is somwhere between 3-5% now and mine is around 12%. Is this okay? Are we doing something wrong as far as eating?

We're following the whole30 guidelines pretty much to a T, even in terms of portions, etc. and don't feel hungry. I do feel tired though - not much tiger blood here....

Sure - I'll do mine since my husband eats a little differently (probably a bit more meat and less veggies for him).

Today: breakfast - 2 fried eggs cooked in lard with sauteed zucchini, black tea

snack - pistachios, small amount of fruit/coconut milk smoothie

lunch - slow cooked pork and cabbage, an apple

snack - cup of green olives

dinner - kale and spinach salad with chicken, bell pepper and carrot on top, olive oil based dressing

yesterday - bf- eggs and zucchini, a little bacon, herbal tea

snack - olives

lunch - pork and cabbage, half of an avocado

dinner - large smoothie: spinach/blueberries/banana/coconut milk (full fat), almond butter

Hello :) How is the bodyfat being measured? Those are not healthy maintainable bodyfat percentages, that's how lean male and female (respectively) bodybuilders get for competitions and they'd be in rough shape if they maintained that for long! BUT if that bodyfat % is being measured by something like one of those inductance scales that you stand on, it's likely that the numbers are way off, even if you are perhaps "too" lean, those machines are beyond unreliable (very common for people to underestimate bodyfat%, 3-5% on a male is for example crazy crazy lean, me with 12-15% for example would have visible abs starting to show, under 10% and it'd be veins everywhere and looking very "shredded").

So I'd warrant a guess that your bodyfat % are actually much higher as you'd also be feeling pretty starved most likely at those numbers, however I'm not saying that just because I have a hunch your % are incorrect that that means you are in a healthy range, or that you're not.

You're probably right. This is what we used: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366767574&sr=8-1&keywords=omron+hbf-306c+fat+loss+monitor

However, if we were to be getting too thin, which would be the aspect of our diets to focus on increasing and/or looking at my diet log above, is something glaringly missing?

thanks!

Oh yeah, those things are gibberish, even the "good" ones at the gym are pretty bad generally, can be good for ballparking sometimes, but if yours is like the ones I've seen before it might have "body type" settings that you have to put into it (athletic vs average vs thin, don't remember the terms) as well as height age and sex, any of those being off can vastly mess with it. If you THINK you're getting too thin though, based on how you feel/see yourself then I'd say chances are good that you are getting too thin. Calories is really the thing, any diet close to what this site recommends is giving you plenty of protein and fat which are your essential macro-nutrients, so I'd just increase whatever you feel like increasing in the diet. Personally when I'm wanting to gain weight (like right now) I reach for more fats, so that I'm not having to stuff myself with huge volumes of food in order to gain weight, but whatever you feel like increasing for calories will do the job :)

For females with low body fat I think a bigger indicator for health is fertility. Are you at 12% and still getting regular cycles? If so then that may be a natural place for you to be. If not then I would up the calories and maybe try to increase body fat.

Tricia

www.expatpaleo.com

Archived