Chicken Tostadas Rancheros

CraftyCarnivore

This is where I live, right here. Mexican style cuisine - YES PLEASE!

After that meatloaf last night, I'm definitely down with trying more recipes from Johnny's site. Dang.

Can meatloaf be a food without breaks? lol. Seriously good.

Molov - They are twice fried green plantains. Savory. Too yummy for me.

Oh mmm I think I made those a couple times. Twice fried as in fry-smash-fry again? They are over the top good! They aren't food wo brakes for me as just the act of peeling and cutting plantains and then three cooking steps acts as sufficient brakes for me. I have been wanting to try the tostada method too.

I'm going to try them again tonight. And practice using those brakes!!

I'm going to make the tostadas and some kind of meat for the top and eat as many as I dang well please. I just think it is literally impossible to overeat this kind of food. Maybe eating a little more than you "need" but it's not damaging the way a whole bag of junk food is. Am I right or is there something I'm missing? Gorging on plantains just does not seem to be something to worry about.

Moluv - thanks for your input. It made me think about what I meant. I'm new at this so maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. Last night when I was eating them - I was not paying attention. In the same sort of way I ate when I devoured a piece of cake without really noticing.

That said - I do still fall into my diet mentality and worry about eating too much of something.

Tonight - I'm going to pay attention. And I'm going to buy some riper plantains to make the tostadas.

Thanks.

Moluv - thanks for your input. It made me think about what I meant. I'm new at this so maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. Last night when I was eating them - I was not paying attention. In the same sort of way I ate when I devoured a piece of cake without really noticing.

That said - I do still fall into my diet mentality and worry about eating too much of something.

Tonight - I'm going to pay attention. And I'm going to buy some riper plantains to make the tostadas.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Well as soon as I typed it I worried it came off snarky. Not what I meant. Sometimes I "lose myself" in healthy food too, and being mindful is something I have to work on all the time. From someone who eats at the cutting board a little too often.

Annnnd I just had this tostada for lunch and they totally taste like cake. I take back everything I said. I ate 3 of them and wanted more but. Just. Couldn't. Fit. It. In.

These things are almost too tasty to be compliant. Wow.

My plantain is definitely not yellow. Will the tostones still work? I don't want to do the blender thing that Johnny did right now. Just want the fry, smash, fry thing to go with my green chicken tonight.

eta: I am going to use my beef tallow to fry them. :)

Well I made them with my half black plantain because I found a recipe that specifically called for ripe. They are delicious hot and yucky cold. I probably won't make them again. They soaked up so much grease. Bluurgh. Tasty though. Of course, maybe I shouldn't have raten 12 of them.

Well I made them with my half black plantain because I found a recipe that specifically called for ripe. They are delicious hot and yucky cold. I probably won't make them again. They soaked up so much grease. Bluurgh. Tasty though. Of course, maybe I shouldn't have raten 12 of them.

Lol.

Could someone tell me what oil you use for making the tostones? I used coconut oil last night, but they also soaked up the grease. I think the smoke point of coconut oil may be too low. Wished I had bacon fat.

Could someone tell me what oil you use for making the tostones? I used coconut oil last night, but they also soaked up the grease. I think the smoke point of coconut oil may be too low. Wished I had bacon fat.

I used beef tallow and they still soaked up a ton of it. After my second batch, there was none left in the pan. I felt I had the heat up high enough.

I did mine with a little coconut oil on a cast iron griddle on low-medium heat and just let them brown slowly. I found them pleasantly greasy. But bacon grease sounds good too.

Archived