Chicken Tostadas Rancheros

CraftyCarnivore

This article talks about frying ripe plantains. And talks about the starch converting to sugar as the plantain ripens. The tostones I've had in a restsurant aren't sweet. http://latinfood.about.com/od/cookingbasicstips/a/Frying-Ripe-Plantains.htm

I have a greenish one - I try it out tomorrow.

That is the article I used to make mine. :) However I used my cast iron skillet and beef tallow.

Molov- how green were yours? Do you think they absorb less the greener they are?

Maybe not green but definitely not ripe. Yellow-green? I also did not use much oil, though I do remember having to add more. They were def not saturated. We dusted them with cinnamon which was absorbed by the oil to make a nice little glaze, then a little coarse Celtic salt.

Just about to fry them up. I am going to lower the heat a bit too. I have always been taught that lower heat =oil absorption but all the recipes say medium heat so I will go with that. I will be back to report the results. :0)

• 3 weeks later...

We just had the tostados recipe last night and loved them. Super delish! I unfortunately had to skip the marinade, as I can't have cilantro, but even with chicken simply spiced with cumin/saltpepper/chilli powder, they were really tasty.

• 2 months later...

Archived