Grass-fed top round?

Beets

Anyone have any good results with this cut or something similar? I have a Cook's Illustrated technique I use for Eye Round but after a recent bad experience with a $40 inedible boneless leg of lamb I'm a little gun shy with meat experimentation. My weekend meat foraging was not successful but I've nevertheless managed to drain the food budget. I don't want to ruin this.

My butcher sells "grass-fed" beef but I recently discovered it is grain-finished, so I'm guessing the meat I'm used to cooks more like regular old grain-fed. I've done grass-finished steaks and the slow-cook cuts, but nothing in the roast category.

Thanks!

I cook a grass-fed top round (my butcher calls it London broil) most weeks, and slice it up for my post-workout breakfast. This cut is very lean, and needs to be cooked pretty rare or it will be tough. I use this recipe as a guide, skipping the dry mustard and subbing coconut oil for the butter. Timing will vary depending on thickness, but if it's too bloody when I'm slicing, I just throw the slices back into my cast iron skillet and toss them around for 30 seconds or so. simple, but good. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moms_pan-fried_london_broil_steak/

Archived