Help do I need to restart?!

jmcip

I'm so mad! I'm on day 23 and realized yesterday I went off track. I had about 2-3 oz of chicken that was store bought. I knew they add extra sodium but figured I could deal with that. But then last night I felt like crap and boy was I crabby to. ( I actually felt sorry for my husband) So today I decided to look at the ingredients and the chicken was filled with stuff I couldn't even pronounce...even sugar. My bad for not reading the ingrediants but it's a whole roast chicken! I had no idea.

Do I have to restart? I had been trying to do a Whole 30 for almost a year now with many false starts so I've been so happy I made it this far.

• Moderators

No matter what, this is actually an important learning experience. Food makes an obvious difference to your well-being. As to restarting, maybe, maybe not. Obviously something did not sit well with you and the chances of it being something in the chicken is high. It would be helpful to know what all the ingredients were if for no other reason than to figure out exactly what messes you up so bad. The sugar in the chicken is not a good enough reason to restart and I don't think the sugar is what caused you problems.

Oh I am sorry. Sometimes even us astute label readers let things slip unintentionally. Here's how I feel..without knowing exactly what was in it, I would probably stretch it to 37 days if that.

The amount of sugar was probably insignificant. Most of the other stuff were probably chemicals to keep the broth they injected it with inside the chicken. Those chickens are fairly over cooked to begin with and then held at a fairly hot temp sometimes for hours. Unless you are trying to heal a seriously damaged gut and there was all kinds of wheat starch, I think you should just carry on. If you want to, add a few days at the end if you aren't feeling stellar.

Thanks everyone so the ingredients are as follows:

tetrapotassium pyrophosphate

rice starch

salt

sugar

dextrose

yeast extract

guar gum

xanthan gum

corn syrup solids

Definitely a very good lesson. I'm feel fortunate to have this learning experience. When I think of all the people who truly think they're eating healthy by grabbing a roast chicken for their family - it's just sad.

So I will see how I feel at the end and then maybe tack on a few days. If any of you advanced members or moderators think I should restart or something different, I welcome the advice.

Thanks again all. This is the first time I've posted on any board and I appreciate the feedback.

Archived