Extra virgin olive oul

Nicole1775

I personally love EVOO and cook with it all the time. I am highly allergic to lard, and ghee burns too quickly for me. Somehow I tend to burn coconut oil too. Sometimes I will mix coconut oil and EVOO together.

Maybe a moderator can step in here with the Whole30 word of wisdom on olive oil? Kirsteen mentioned Mark Sisson's article on olive oil http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defending-olive-oils-reputation/#axzz2QtRZzcKk

To quote Mark

"I love butter and ghee and coconut oil as much as anyone, but the undercurrent of fear surrounding the exposure of olive oil to slightly elevated temperatures and to oxygen is unfounded and, in my opinion, misguided."

• Moderators

There is a fair amount of disagreement about how much of a problem heating olive oil presents. My judgement is that olive oil is okay at low temperatures, but not a good choice at high temperatures. What that means is that I cook with olive oil a little when I am doing something simple like scrambling eggs and want something quick and easy to make my skillet slick. However, I would never use olive oil when I am searing meat in a cast iron skillet over a high flame. I occasionally use olive oil when cooking chopped onions or garlic, but not often because I am concerned that may be using a bit too much heat. Before I knew anything about the issue, I cooked with olive oil all the time and never noticed a problem. However, not being able to taste or see a problem is different than there being no problem. Chemical changes can take place that matter to the body, but that are not readily noticeable.

I use ghee or coconut oil for high heat cooking now and have used beef tallow in the past. Coconut oil is my favorite except for when I specifically want to incorporate the taste of ghee. I might use beef tallow, but I made the batch I used before and decided it was more work than I wanted to invest on a regular basis.

• Moderators

my understanding is that ghee contains no dairy - to make ghee you are actually taking out all of the milk solids, which is why it's allowed on the whole30. am I wrong in this assumption? mod?

The process of making ghee removes almost all of the milk proteins, but there might be one or two left to cause trouble to anyone who is extremely sensitive. In the beginning, neither ghee or clarified butter was allowed during a Whole30, but after study and experimentation, Dallas and Melissa accepted that most people who are sensitive to milk proteins can eat ghee or clarified butter safely. However, if someone knows they are allergic to dairy, they might not want to experiment with ghee even if we know that many sensitive people do okay with it.

Try refined coconut oil. It has no smell or taste. I can't stand the smell or taste of unrefined coconut oil but I use refined coconut oil all the time. I get Spectrum Organics brand refined coconut oil in my local grocery store.

So much good has been said, but I want to add a little more on lard. Lard is an awesome cooking fat, and allowed on the whole30 BUT, most lard you find in stores is NOT good. If you are going to do lard, you have to get it from a responsible farmer/butcher or make it yourself.

Archived