The carnivorous fiance and saturated fat

britchanel

Hey all!

I have a couple quick questions that I would greatly appreciate feedback on.

First off, my fiance agreed to do a Whole30 program with me, but his veggie intake is little to none. I try to prepare differnt ones in a variety of ways, but he won't eat most of them! Oh, and I tried to explain the bacon ordeal to him (can only find ones with sugar), but he's pretty set in eating bacon. Oh well, could be worse I guess. I just worry about him :) and ask him ways I can cook veggies for him....but, doesn't seem to be working.

His day today:

Breakfast

5 eggs (too much?)

4 slices of bacon

Snack

Apple

Almond butter

Dinner

Hamburger patty

Homemade sweet potato fries

3 eggs

Also, I know most of you will roll your eyes at this one and I apologize beforehand. Can I get a critique of my meals today? I still worry about too much saturated fat and want to make sure I'm doing OK. I know, I know...just a newbie wanting to do well!

Breakfast

2 eggs

1 sausage patty (compliant)

sauteed zuchinni, squash, and mushrooms

pumpkin with cinnamon and coconut oil

black coffee with cinnamon

Lunch

Salad consisting of: spring mix, tuna, 1 egg, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, a few walnuts and red wine vinegar

Snack (after WO)

Larabar (not optimal, I know...all I had. Need to plan better next time!!!)

Dinner

Hamburger patty

Sauteed onion and jalapenos

Spinach

Thank you for any help! :)

your meals look great! (except for the Lara bar, but you knew that :) ) saturated fat is nothing to worry about (and 5 eggs is fine for a big guy), but your fiance does need to eat vegetables. That said, he is a grown man. He also has to decide he wants to eat vegetables. Not much you can do to force the issue if he won't.

Welcome! My hubby hated most veggies until we did our first Whole30 back in late August/September. That was when I really started to roast a bunch of veggies--he loves roasted brussel sprouts done in coconut oil, and I have roasted them in bacon grease--yum! What about chili/stews/meat balls/soups/meat loaves? Stirfries or curries? My MIL boiled every vegetable with in an inch of its life and then boiled some more! It is no wonder my husband hated veggies! She also never uses salt in her cooking because she thinks that will keep her from getting heart disease (but eats loads of processed foods :huh: ) so besides being boiled it was bland as well.

What about putting onions and bell peppers in chili? Loads of veg in soups and stews? putting zucchini and spinach and tomato paste in meatballs and meatloaf? There are ways to hide veg in different things! He doesn't need to just have veg as a side. Maybe that is why it is off putting for him? What about a good homemade ranch dip made with whole 30 mayo? Would that help with getting raw veggies in?

Awesome suggestions...I've been so focused on getting him to eat them in their "normal" (for lack of better word) looking way, that I didn't even think about other ways! I will definitely be trying some of those suggestions....thank you!

• Moderators

We need vegetables to get the best results from a Whole30. That said, as SpinSpin said, you could incorporate vegetables. Here is a recipe for meatloaf stuffed with vegetables: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2010/10/meatloaf-stuffed-with-vegetables/ A similar recipe I never wrote up used grated carrots and salsa as meat loaf ingredients.

I always pick 2 veggies to put in my hamburger patties. My favorite right now is spinach and red bell pepper - just grind them up fairly fine in the food processor and add to the raw meat. I've also tried banana peppers and sun dried tomatoes along with some Greek seasoning - tastes kinda pizza-ish and was very good as well. How would he feel about "tacos" with lettuce as the shell?

As for your meals, they look really yummy. I don't know your size, goals, or activity level, but I personally would add one more egg to breakfast and one more burger to dinner, but that's just me. :) No eye rolling here!

We make all our stews, chilis, etc. with a TON of veggies. For chili, I sautee a couple onions and jalapenos with garlic and fat, brown and drain the meat in a separate pan, then throw the meat into the pot with a can of crushed tomatoes and all the spices and some broth. At that point, I add a few cups of sliced carrots, and then about 10-15 minutes before I take it off the heat, I add a lot of sliced zucchini. It's great, and it makes a complete meal without having to fuss with anything else. We make a huge egg bake once a week, and it has spaghetti squash, onions, and sweet potatos in it, so we wind up eating veggies at breakfast without having to think about it much in the morning (we have a slice of the egg bake with some home made sausages).

Will he at least try the vegetables? Can you have him spend some time researching recipes he might like?

http://everydaypaleo.com/paleo-lifestyle-and-fitness-podcast-episode-4/

Interesting take on this at 14:20 in the podcast (the question asker has an autistic son who pretty much refuses to eat most veggies). This isn't a Whole30 podcast, so take it with a grain of salt (if you take it at all), but it is a different perspective on the veggie thing. I was surprised to hear it the other day.

buy some bacon from uswellness if he's set on bacon and then make his veggies with it! I always cook some bacon (cut up into small pieces mind you) and take the whole pan (fat and bacon) and pour it over some asparagus, add a little salt and pepper, throw it in the oven for a bit. you can do the same with green beans. use his weakness (bacon) to beat him at his own (veggie averting) game! :)

How about some mashed starchy veg? Pumpkin, squash, parsnip, swede/rutabaga, carrot, turnip etc.

I mashed some pumpkin last week with some clarified butter, salt, paprika & cumin and it was delish.

Otherwise, I'd go with the hiding them in a stew idea. My favourite casserole is beef with tinned tomatoes, onion & some stock and then whatever veg are in season and I fancy putting in: usually carrot, parsnip, mushrooms, zuchini, red pepper, celery.

Archived