MAYO!!!!!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait til you try flavouring it up. :) I've used garlic powder in some but my favourite is powdered chipotles - yes I could eat anything dipped in that :)

Yeah I look forward to making the ranch and creamy avocado sauces. Going to try the BBQ sauce soon as well.

I made my first batch last night too! Although it tastes great, it didn't thicken up.
:(
It didn't break, but it just stayed thin. I wonder if even the lowest speed on my food processor was too fast? I was very patient in adding the olive oil so that's not it. Any ideas? Is there a way to thicken it up now?

I had the same problem. My blender must be way too strong because stuff was flying out the little hole in the lid the whole time! I don't know what to do about that! ALso, I've seen some recipes that use coconut oil too, I didn't know if I should try that instead next time? Please help because I feel like it could really add to things.

I made my first batch last night too! Although it tastes great, it didn't thicken up. It didn't break, but it just stayed thin. I wonder if even the lowest speed on my food processor was too fast? I was very patient in adding the olive oil so that's not it. Any ideas? Is there a way to thicken it up now?

This happened to me too. I think I 1) didn't mix the yolks and seasoning long enough before adding the oil and 2) didn't have all of my ingredients at room temp.

The next time I followed these steps more carefully and the mayo came out perfectly. My processor doesn't have various speeds and is pretty powerful (Cuisinart) and it was fine.

I used the recipe in Well Fed but it didn't turn out. I have seen other recipes for using egg yolks and part coconut oil. I don't know if I should just try the same one again or go for a different recipe. I let the ingredients sit in the blender for a long time.

I used the recipe in Well Fed but it didn't turn out. I have seen other recipes for using egg yolks and part coconut oil. I don't know if I should just try the same one again or go for a different recipe. I let the ingredients sit in the blender for a long time.

My mayo failed every time in my Cuisinart blender. It works every time in the food processor or with an immersion blender.

Tricks to the Olive Oil Mayo in ISWF...

• It's not specified, but make sure the eggs and lemon juice are mixed in Step 1 when coming to room temperature. I've not broken the eggs before and had bad batches that way.
  • The oil needs to go in SUPER slow (at first). I don't know if it's kosher, but I went to Autozone and bought a funnel for oil. It has a twisty bottom that lets you control the flow (even so far as to close it so nothing comes out). I let the bottom sit in the open top of my Kitchenaid Food Processor and let it do it's thing SLOWLY. Like ~5 mins for my 2 cups of ELTOO (I double batch) to all drain in.

One trick if it's too thin is to start with another egg yolk in the blender and pour the mayo really slowly, just as you did with the oil the first time onto that. That usually works.

The general consensus seems to be that the mayo will last as long as the eggs would. The acidity in the vinegar or lemon juice helps prevent the spread of bacteria. I've seen some sites which say, take the use-by date of the egg and add on a week. Since I find eggs are always good well after their use-by date (I just test them before I use them) I went with that when I started and religiously marked the date on each batch. Now :ph34r: I don't bother - if the mayo looks and smells ok I eat it without a clue when it's meant to be used :ph34r: Obviously I'm not actually recomending anyone do that :)

Stick blender.I use a wide mouth pint jar. Egg in bottom, them vinegar, salt, etc. then oil. Let sit a minute to separate. Put stick blender in and pulse. Tiny pulses. Pulse. Pulse. Never breaks. Always works. I dont do room temp. My kids make it without problems. It takes maybe two minutes tops.

Quick question about mayo though...........Are we still treating it as an oliv oil serving. What I mean is, is it 2 thumbs worth = 1 serving as it is primarily olive oil?

Yes, exactly. I use 1.25 cups of oil and one whole egg and it makes just under 2 cups of mayo.

Stick blender.I use a wide mouth pint jar. Egg in bottom, them vinegar, salt, etc. then oil. Let sit a minute to separate. Put stick blender in and pulse. Tiny pulses. Pulse. Pulse. Never breaks. Always works. I dont do room temp. My kids make it without problems. It takes maybe two minutes tops.

I will definitely try this method. Would way rather use stick blender than bust out food processor.

I am so frustrated with this mayo! I have tried three times, each time I let the eggs and lemon juice sit out for a few hours, and I pour the pil really slowly. The first time I did it in the blender and it splatered out the time and so I can see how that didn't turn out. The next two times I used my mixer (instead of mixing by hand, i don't have a food processor). And it has not turned out. I also added an extra egg yolk because I've read that it helps firm it up. It looks like nothing in the photos (well fed) or wellness mama's.

I don't think a mixer will work. They are made to beat air into things, not to immulsify. Maybe someone else has done it and will speak up. I had fails with my blender and my food processor. I think I was not patient enough with the oil. I love making it with my immersion blender. No patience needed.

Archived