MAYO!!!!!!

This post inspired me to get my butt in gear and finally make my own mayo! I used a stick blender (got it for a wedding gift....5 years ago and it just NOW came out of the box! :D. ). It was so easy! I put everything except tn the blender cup that came with the immersion blender and mix it then slowly added the olive oil. The only problem I had was pouring the oil out of a glass measuring cup....it just dripped down the side. It took some different experiments to get it to work but I finally did it and it turned out perfect! I can't wait to add other favors to it!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This post inspired me to get my butt in gear and finally make my own mayo! I used a stick blender (got it for a wedding gift....5 years ago and it just NOW came out of the box! . ). It was so easy! I put everything except tn the blender cup that came with the immersion blender and mix it then slowly added the olive oil. The only problem I had was pouring the oil out of a glass measuring cup....it just dripped down the side. It took some different experiments to get it to work but I finally did it and it turned out perfect! I can't wait to add other favors to it!

The beauty of a stick blender is that you don't add the oil slowly. You put it all into the blender cup and let everything settle. Stick the blender to the bottom and pulse. You will see the mayo start to immulsify at the bottom. Before yoy know it, you have mayo. :)

I just starter using the stick blender and it turns out perfect! You can just dump the oil at once and in less than a minute it is perfect. I should try the powdered chipotle, sounds like something I would love!

I read several recipes and adapted my own, it's pretty simple but I love it! I use one whole egg, 1TBS lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp salt, 1/2 tbsp mustard powder, and 1 cup of light tasting Olive oil.

I won't but Mayo again either!

The beauty of a stick blender is that you don't add the oil slowly. You put it all into the blender cup and let everything settle. Stick the blender to the bottom and pulse. You will see the mayo start to immulsify at the bottom. Before yoy know it, you have mayo. :)

I also use a stick blender and mix it right in the 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Measure the oil first, then add the egg and spices and blend. When it's done, scoop it out into a storage container.

I have a Breville. They are not cheap. It was $99 at amazon and came with extras that I may never use. It's very powerful. I think it has 15 speed settings. I always start it at about 12 and end up at 15. Not sure that I agree with a low setting being necessary. Bed Bath and Beyond carries a Cuisinart for way less and you could use 20% coupon.

When you get it, you will see a button. You hold it to turn it on. So, a pulse is an on and off thing like the pulse of a heart beat. I do a one second pulse and as the mayo forms at the bottom, I turn the blender jar so more oil can be sucked in by the blender. I am going to fire up my laptop and come back with a good youtube video of mayo made with an immersion blender. Ignore his ingredients. :)

Ok people. I tried this immersion blender/stick blender mayo.

I have a Kitchenaid and I used the container it comes with--which I later discovered is a quick route to mayo failure. I used one of my precious $9/dozed pastured eggs and followed the video on Serious Eats by the FoodLAb guy, Kenji. (Linked to by Michelle at Nomnom.) Love his blog, use his techniques all the time with great success.

He has a lovely video as well, in which you will note also features a tall, thin vessel:

I get runny slop--no emulsification whatsoever. I made sure to keep the blender pressed against the bottom to create the vortex that will pull slowly the right amount of oil into the burgeoning mayo. 100% liquid. So I read something else that says to put a yolk in a different contained and a comment on Kenji's blog suggesting the Kitchenaid container is too big and the container needs to be smaller. I use a pint Ball jar, add yolk + not-mayo -->> liquid.

At this point I'm getting really aggravated and hungry because I'm making breakfast. So I try one last time in a Pyrex 1-cup measuring cup. I put one more pastured yolk in the cup with 1/8 tsp mustard powder to save the mayo, mix that then slowly drool in my mayo slop. Success!

Point being: do not use the blending cup if your blending cup is too wide.

I'm so frustrated and pissed!!!

MAYO FAIL.

I followed the steps to a T, and I ended up with a too thin off-white slime. I tried to save it by adding another yolk and pouring in the mixture as I blended, but it only changed the slime from off-white to yellow.

I'm totally PISSED because I wasted a beautiful bottle of macadamia nut oil. Now I'm out like $20. ARRGGGHHH

I have been using the small kitchen aid food processor, and it works great, about 3minutes of whipping while pouring in the olive oil slowly.

1 egg

1/2 tsp lemon juice

1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar

Squirt of mustard

Mix ingredients, then slowly add 1 cup of light olive oil slowly pouring in.

I'm so frustrated and pissed!!!

MAYO FAIL.

I followed the steps to a T, and I ended up with a too thin off-white slime. I tried to save it by adding another yolk and pouring in the mixture as I blended, but it only changed the slime from off-white to yellow.

I'm totally PISSED because I wasted a beautiful bottle of macadamia nut oil. Now I'm out like $20. ARRGGGHHH

Have you still got the failed mix? If so try using that in a new batch in place of the oil. maybe try the regular rather than immersion method.

Yes. Follow the link above to fix it. I have tried that twice with failed mayo and it has worked--once in the food processor and again with the stick blender. Both times I first whipped up the new yolk and slowly added the failed mayo slop.

And yes Derval it appears having a container *just* wide enough for the stick blender to get in and down to the bottom helps create the "vortex" that slowly pulls down the oil into the egg.

No, I threw the failed mayo down the sink drain - in disgust. I already had tried to fix it by using another egg yolk and pouring in the once-failed mix. Then I got rid of the twice-failed mix.

You know what, this experience raised more questions than answers. Did I use too much oil? Is vinegar that important? Some recipes say to add water, others don't. So many inconsistencies between diff recipes.

Also, did I use the blender right? I still don't understand the meaning of "pulse". Does that mean holding the button down for 1 sec, release, then hold button 1 sec? Or is it more like click, wait 1 sec, click, wait 1 sec, click. How many pulses do I need? Do I ever hold the button down without pulsing?

This is NOT easy like some youtube vids make it out to be. I'm sorry, but it's just not.

I'm not in the mood to try again anytime soon, I already wasted $ and 2 eggs, and this exoerience only raised my cortisol levels, ruining my sleep.

Anywhere I can get compliant paleo mayo in the store?

Oh I totally get it! When I was doing this the other morning I was hungry and getting infuriated at the thought of $$$ going down the drain. $9/dozen pastured eggs!

No need to apologize. But, seriously, I think the container makes a difference. I didn't pulse at all but I pressed the blender down to the bottom and it did come together (in trial #3) pretty painlessly.

From what I've read there is a brand of compliant mayo sold at WF but it sounds hard to find. (As in always sold out.) I used the Paleo Mom recipe with just yolks and the processor with no difficulties.

My question is where do you find organic olive oil that isn't extra virgin? I've not been able to find it even at my food co-op. I have not tried Whole Foods yet because it isn't convenient for me to go there (and I find it a little scary).

Archived