MAYO!!!!!!

The funnel is one of the greatest inventions ever after the immersion blender!  I use one; otherwise, the oil drips down the side of my glass measuring cup and not into the bowl!  Not pretty!  Now I gotta go make a flavored may of some sort!!    :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i love the mayo i made but i've noticed that the longer it sits in the fridge, when i pull it out to use it warms up just slighly and immediately separates! What the heck? Did i miss something? It tastes fine straight from the fridge , not like it's gone bad, and it's less than a week old and mostly gone at this point

I'm getting very frustrated with trying to make the mayo and it never comes out... it always is just....gross. LOL.... I like to consider myself a very careful, direction-following- chef...so I left the egg on the counter all night... bought the lemon juice from the store and it never went into the fridge... though all I have is a blender. I can't imagine THAT being the problem? :(

any idea if hand mixers are cheap? LOL or what I could POSSIBLY being doing incorrectly?! :( I'd kill to be able to have the mayo to use for recipes :(

Have you tried letting the lemon juice and the egg sit together in the blender for half an hour or so before getting started?  Melissa Joulwan says to, so I do it, so far so good.

I don't have any experience with blenders so can't help you there ...  But I think hand held immersion blenders can be picked up pretty cheaply and apparently they are the business.  I splurged on a food processor earlier this year and I'm determined to get my money's worth from ti :)

I made my 1st batch earlier this week ( you may have heard me cheer). I used a cold egg and did not let it sit with the vinegar longer than a few minutes (I'm impatient). I also didn't have lemon juice so I just upped the vinegar. I made the mayo with the immersion blender in a wide mouth mason jar. I began at the bottom and waited till I had a good pit of emulsion (mayo) at the bottom before I started moving the blender up to incorporate more oil. I pulsed the whole time. I thought it was done when the sound of the blending changed.

My only issue was not using enough acid to cut the oily feel/taste of the mayo. There is now a lemon waiting for the next batch. I hope this next try works.

I was able to make this perfectly using the Clothes Make the Girl Recipe.

I used fresh lemon juice (2T) but found the mayo to be too lemony.  Next time I plan to use rice vinegar in hopes it will turn out like delicious Japanese Kewpie mayo.

I used my Ninja blender, with the pitcher attachment.  Maybe because the Ninja's pitcher is smaller than other blenders I had this success?  But my mayo definitely thickened more in the refrigerator.

My other note - has any one tried substituting fish oil for some of the light olive oil? 

As long as you are sure to refrigerate it, I would think it would be a good way to get your omega 3s in, but I wonder if it would kill the taste.

I just started making my home made mayo and it's great.  My first batch "broke" but I was able to save it - good video on NomNom Paleo on how to fix.  I went back to my old Julia Child- Mastering the Art of French Cooking and read that "The maximum amount of oil one U.S. large egg yolk will absorb is 6 oz or  3/4 cup.  When the maximum is exceeded, the binding properties of the egg yolks break down and the sauce thins out or curdles".  I now use 2 egg yolks for 1- 1/2 cup oil, immersion blender and it never fails!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally made the mayo from Well Fed and it turned out great! I also tried the Ranch Dressing and loved it.  I added the mayo to some cooked chicken with celery and green pepper and I was in HEAVEN! I didn't realize how much I missed eating something creamy.  I'm on day 20 of the Whole 30.  Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to make with this yummy mayo??

I finally made the mayo from Well Fed and it turned out great! I also tried the Ranch Dressing and loved it.  I added the mayo to some cooked chicken with celery and green pepper and I was in HEAVEN! I didn't realize how much I missed eating something creamy.  I'm on day 20 of the Whole 30.  Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to make with this yummy mayo??

Put it on top of a baked sweet potato - yum!

I made this chicken salsa recipe in a crock pot a couple weeks ago, and instead of putting sour cream on the top of my serving (as the recipe called for), I dolloped some paleo mayo - delish!  I'll bet it would taste good on top of a bowl of chili also.

You can make a great salad dressing by mixing a few tablespoons with some chili powder, garlic powder, compliant dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar.

Egg salad! Our go-to lunch on top of fresh spinach or kale and chopped tomatoes or bell peppers.

Thank you guys sooooo much for posting your tips and tricks!  I tried to make mayo a few months back with a wisk and not only was it a total pain but it was runny and didn't taste that great.  I just tried it again (at 1030 at night...) with my immersion blender and it came out perfectly!  I even used a splash of Jalapeno olive oil for a little kick.  

Next tackle...  homemade Ketchup!  Hooraaaay!  :D

Archived