Silicone Dioxide

angekfire

I bought some chipotle powder a month or so ago, and I was clearing out my cupboards in preparation of the whole30, and I saw that it has 2 ingredients, one obviously being chipotle powder, and the other being silicone dioxide. Is this okay on the whole30? It said it is added to help with easy flowing.

• Moderators

It is okay, although, when I read the Wikipedia entry about it, I am not enthusiastic about it...

Silicon dioxide, also known as silica (from the Latin silex), is a chemical compound that is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2. It has been known since ancient times. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms.[2]

Silica is manufactured in several forms including fused quartz, crystal, fumed silica (or pyrogenic silica), colloidal silica, silica gel, and aerogel.

Silica is used primarily in the production of glass for windows, drinking glasses, beverage bottles, and many other uses. The majority of optical fibers for telecommunications are also made from silica. It is a primary raw material for many ceramics such as earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain.

Silica is a common additive in the production of foods, where it is used primarily as a flow agent in powdered foods, or to absorb water in hygroscopic applications. It is the primary component of diatomaceous earth, which has many uses ranging from filtration to insect control. It is also the primary component of rice husk ash, which is used, for example, in filtration and cement manufacturing....

Silicon dioxide, also known as silica (from the Latin silex), is a chemical compound that is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2. It has been known since ancient times. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms.[2]

Silica is manufactured in several forms including fused quartz, crystal, fumed silica (or pyrogenic silica), colloidal silica, silica gel, and aerogel.

Silica is used primarily in the production of glass for windows, drinking glasses, beverage bottles, and many other uses. The majority of optical fibers for telecommunications are also made from silica. It is a primary raw material for many ceramics such as earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain.

Silica is a common additive in the production of foods, where it is used primarily as a flow agent in powdered foods, or to absorb water in hygroscopic applications. It is the primary component of diatomaceous earth, which has many uses ranging from filtration to insect control. It is also the primary component of rice husk ash, which is used, for example, in filtration and cement manufacturing....

That just doesn't sound right to add it to our foods! It's also what comes in the little packets in purses and shoes that can be used to help dry your watered down cell phone! :o

Hmmm...that sounds pretty sketchy. I think I'll keep it out at least for the whole 30. Fortunately I found canned chipotle peppers that are compliant, which will probably add a better flavour anyway.

Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...

Silicon is not only FDA GRAS but also a desirable micronutrient:

Anti-arteriosclerotic. Silicon is needed for bone structure, growth, and connective tissue production of collagen. Silicon is important for healthy nails, skin, hair, and bone formation. It is need to maintain healthy arteries and prevents cardiovascular disease. It counteracts the effects of aluminum toxicity and improves calcium intake.

It's also in these foods:

Alfalfa, beets, bell peppers, green leafy vegetables, liver, and others

Source: http://orthomolecular.org/nutrients/micronutrients.shtml

I take a calcium pill that has 2.2mg naturally occurring algae-based silica every day.

Archived