Bought a Food Dehydrator!!

CraftyCarnivore

It's coming on Monday! I'm excited. I'm going to try to make beef and salmon jerky with it, so I can take it to Disney when we go in two weeks. Also in the summer time, I love the idea of making my own dried herbs. We have a peach tree (why anyone has a peach tree in Illinois is beyond me, but we didn't plant it) and if we get a huge crop of peaches like we did last summer, I will be drying a ton of them.

Any other ideas?

Dervel taught me about dried lemon slices. I love just tossing them into a cup of hot or glass of cold water and it's an easy way to always have lemon around for cooking. I am going to try drying cranberries.

Nice! I'd love one but I don't think I have space for it. THough, one more good thing about eating this way is that it frees up lots of cupboard real estate. No more grain and bean drawer, no more cereal and kid snack shelf.

A huge crop of peaches in your yard?? That is amazing! When peaches are at the farmers' market I usually eat 3 a day.

Oh I can't wait for peaches season here.

I played with dehydrator a bit and made a conclusion that unless you have upcoming backpacking or lots of food from your garden it is pretty dangerous. When you see that 1 zhuchinni makes a little bowl of chips...

Nice! I'd love one but I don't think I have space for it. THough, one more good thing about eating this way is that it frees up lots of cupboard real estate. No more grain and bean drawer, no more cereal and kid snack shelf.

A huge crop of peaches in your yard?? That is amazing! When peaches are at the farmers' market I usually eat 3 a day.

We've only had a HUGE crop of peaches one year that we have lived here - last year. I think that was a fluke because it was so hot and dry. We got them 3 weeks earlier than usual, and they were almost all edible. There must have been several hundred peaches. I don't spray the tree, so they get buggy very easily. And these peaches are the size of apricots that you see in the store. They come off the tree tasting like canned peaches (which I can't stand, but off a tree they're delicious!).

I have one but it is just a cheap one with no heat setting on it. Took about 2 days to properly dry some fruits, but at least I knew it didn't have added sugar or preservatives. I did dry some of my own herbs though that I was growing.

I am trying to grow hot peppers this year, and I intend to dehydrate and crush them up into super spicy habanero flakes!

Archived