How to NOT die of protein boredom?

Today is day one for me, so I'm admittedly wet behind the ears. Here's my situation. I don't eat red meat or pork and will not be adding them to my diet any time in the foreseeable future. I also do not eat fish or seafood of any kind (hello, how do you people trust the oceans these days? I just can't get past all the crazy contamination concerns...more power to those of you who can, seriously.).

So that leaves me with chicken. Turkey maybe, but, good turkey is hard to find and I hate to rely on terrible options like Foster Farms, Jennie O or Zacky - which are readily available in my area.

Has anyone else successfully done a W30 on just poultry and eggs?

Why no red meat or pork?

I eat a lot of chicken and turkey. I do ground turkey a lot in pasta (spaghetti squash) sauce, taco meat, or add sausage spices to add to a frittata. Turkey chili.

Chicken you can roast, dice up and make stir fry with coconut aminos. Make chicken and sweet potato hash.

I'd at least give the other proteins a chance!

My DH have been off red meat for easily 10+ years. It was originally a preference for me and a health thing for him - he has a family history of people dying young from heart attacks. Of course, with years of reading about health and nutrition, our understanding of diet and cholesterol has definitely changed, to the point that I would consider eating red meat as a possibly healthy option...but not yet. I'm still researching options for sources. If I'm going to be feeding my family red meat, it better be the best, safest, cleanest meat out there. ;-) I'm still worried about things like mad cow.

Pork is a no-go...my mom went through a porkchop overkill phase when I was younger and I never recovered from my aversion to pork.

What kind of turkey do you buy? (Turkey chili sounds yummy!) And I didn't really think about coconut aminos until reading here. I've never tried them before, but it sounds like they might be a good substitute for my usual Bragg's liquid aminos.

I eat red meat. It is more nutritious than poultry and it's more satisfying. Seafood is hard for me because I never know which fish to trust and which kinds, if any, are sustainably caught. I usually spend a half hour looking at website lists in the supermarket and then give up. But I believe small fish like sardines are pretty reliably clean and sustainable.

That said, I used to eat a lot more chicken. There are eight billion ways to make any protein source. I could eat chicken thighs two or there nights a week with different veggies. Skillet roasting is a really nice option because you can easily make enough veg for leftovers. Rotating seasoning is always a good way to add different flavors. Also, mix up your veggies.

I am not eating eggs his week and I don't miss them. Then again I have my leftover beef or pork sausage for breakfast.

Grass-fed beef from a farmer following good practices at farmers' market is going to be way "cleaner" than just about any chicken you can buy in a grocery store. Same for pork or lamb. What about bison?

Curries are a very handy way to eat chicken. Can give the meat entirely different flavours. And using ground chicken & turkey would likely work in most recipes that call fro ground beef or maybe ground pork, or could easily be adapted into them. I definitely prefer ground turkey though.

I eat a lot of free-range chicken breast. Indian & thai Curries, 'crumbed' (in almond/coconut flour), brined & pan-fried, marinated tandoori-style (and I bet you could use other spice powders), cacciatore, stuffed with a nut/dried fruit combo.

I also like to butterfly/spatchcock a whole chicken.

• Moderators

Today is day one for me, so I'm admittedly wet behind the ears. Here's my situation. I don't eat red meat or pork and will not be adding them to my diet any time in the foreseeable future. I also do not eat fish or seafood of any kind (hello, how do you people trust the oceans these days? I just can't get past all the crazy contamination concerns...more power to those of you who can, seriously.).

So that leaves me with chicken. Turkey maybe, but, good turkey is hard to find and I hate to rely on terrible options like Foster Farms, Jennie O or Zacky - which are readily available in my area.

Has anyone else successfully done a W30 on just poultry and eggs?

I woke up at 5 AM thinking about you this morning and just have to say: You have been infected by fear-mongers with misinformation and half-truths. Many of the fear-mongers mean well and I know how easy it is to believe that all kinds of foods are unsafe, but the truth is that you and your husband would improve your health by eating a variety of animal proteins including fish and red meat. Wild caught fish and organic, grass-fed, pastured beef and lamb is best, but even factory-farmed, conventionally raised meat/fish is good. The chicken marketers have done a superior job of convincing the general public that chicken meat is healthier than anything else, but it isn't true. Fish, beef, and lamb do your body more good. Chicken and turkey are okay, but you are limiting your health by eating them exclusively. It Starts With Food is the most important book to read to develop a good understanding of food. The second book I recommend is The Perfect Health Diet (2nd edition). PHD sometimes gets too sciencey, but it explains a lot of useful things like the value of various foods.

Thank you all for your delicious meal suggestions and kind thoughts. I love how everyone in this community is so supportive and eager to help others succeed.

@Tom - thank you for your comments regarding chicken vs. other meat. (and also, I sincerely hope 5am is a normal waking time for you, it would be terrible to think I caused you to lose sleep over my silly first world meat issues :-)) - It's a work in progress for me. Poultry is sort of the "devil you know" for me, I've been working with it long enough to feel very comfortable that I can make healthy choices when it comes to the type I buy. I think in the future our family will become more carnivorous...we are just very much like turtles when it comes to change. We like to take things very slowly, research and contemplate our options, etc.

Archived