Reintroduction and developed laryngitis?

LouLou

I don't know if it's a coincidence but I developed laryngitis after I accidentally reintroduced sulfites. I know that I'm allergic to sulfites and I have had problems with them in the past. I had a sever reaction to a sulfa based drug and I've had problems ever since. I can't drink a class of wine without having an allergic reaction but I was able to tolerate small amounts in salad dressings. I finished my Whole 30 last Tuesday and started to reintroduce foods. I started with sugar, through dark chocolate and honey, and corn, through corn chips. I didn't have any problems with either and I still haven't tried dairy or gluten-not sure if I even want to. On Saturday I went out to eat and ordered a salad with free range turkey and the house dressing. I asked if the house dressing was made on premise and I was told “yesâ€. I guess I should have been more specific because it is made using a base of manufactured vinaigrette, which contains sulfites. The next day I woke up with my eyes swollen, itchy throat, similar to an allergic reaction and I felt crappy all day. It wasn't until Monday that I started to lose my voice and I now have full blown laryngitis. Is it possible that this was caused by an allergic reaction to sulfites or is it just a coincidence?

When you experience the allergic reaction to wine, how quickly is it and how severe?

Allergies tend to be progressive. They get quicker and more severe with each encounter. The fact that the reaction was the next day, and then the laryngitis was even later tells me it is unrelated.

How bad is the pollen in your area? That would be my first guess.

All of this being said, I have to agree with Tom in that there is no way to be sure.

Feel better soon!

When I react to wine, it's usually happen fairly quickly but I haven't had wine in years because of my reaction. Pollen is just becoming an issue in my area since it was snowing here on Saturday. I hadn't thought of that since I usually have only mild seasonal allergies, if any. Monday was the first nice day in a while so it's most likely pollen. I plan to avoid sulfites just in case. Thanks for your help!

Archived