MTHFR Mutation

I got results back today from blood work I had done last week, after having 2 miscarriages in less than year. They said I have the MTHFR mutation and that my body is not absorbing folic acid or converting it to folate. I am also not absorbing B vitamins.

So, they are putting me on a folate prescription and sub lingual B-12 drops daily + baby aspirin once I get pregnant again.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or knows more about it...

I'm also wondering what part gluten/grains may play in this, if any. I wasn't cutting out all gluten but have now for the past week and plan to continue. I'm also the one that posted about canker sores...maybe this will help with that? I have low progesterone as well and am doing what I can to raise it. Exercising, lower stress, whole foods, no gluten.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I know this is a really old post but I have recently been tested and have two MTHFR mutations, I have trouble with both folate (B9) and Vitamin B12.

From what I have learned so far, eliminating grains and dairy are critical, as they both interfere in the cycle of methylation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Woot woot, I have the MTHFR gene too, I know this is super late but it is amazing to find out who else has it. I have two mutations of C677T, basically meaning that my body can't process any topics. I used to think I was depressed, had SAD or was bipolar. I find that if I eat tons of leafy greens, good meat, and supplement with my MTHFR folate medicine, D3, B12, a multivitamin, and a probiotic, I feel like a different person when I am taking my supplements vs. when I am not. Dairy causes extreme mucusy effect in my body and gluten creates a brain fog! I would love to catch up with anyone who has the mutation, as my mom and I both have it and we are trying our best to take care of ourselves!! 

Lets beat this silly thing!

Archived