Eating too much fat?

LindaLee

I entered my meals for today into one of those meal analysis applications, and scared myself half to death. I can't figure out if I'm overreacting or if I truly need to be concerned.

Breakfast:

Turkey Apple Hash from the Success Guide (without apples, didn't have any) - I split this into five servings

15 baby carrots

10 olives

Lunch:

Salad of baby spinach, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, with a tablespoon of paleo mayo

Ground chicken with zucchini

2 clementines

Dinner:

Three pieces side bacon (not cured)

Three eggs

15 cherry tomatoes

1 serving sauteed veggies (summer squash, mushrooms, bell peppers, kale sauteed in olive oil)

1842 calories total

This tool puts this at:

25% protein, 91 grams

25% carbs, 89 grams

49% fat, 77 grams (eeep!)

It's the fat that scares me. My biggest fat sources that were NOT part of another dish (e.g., the fat that's in chicken, eggs, and bacon) are my paleo mayo and olives and if I cut those out, then my calories go down pretty low. I cannot figure out a way to reasonably increase my veggies.

Am I making myself unnecessarily insane?? Help!

Yes you are making yourself unnecessarily insane. :-) I've been eating Paleo for 40+ days and my fat % has been higher than that and I'm losing weight and seeing lots of other positive changes. If you can't log without freaking yourself out I would say not to log at all.

first, don't enter your food in one of the calculators. It makes you crazy, and it's not allowed during a whole30 for a reason! Your food looks fine to me. Here are the questions you should be asking: 1) do my meals fit the meal template? 2) am I unreasonably hungry between meals? If 1) is yes, and 2) is no you are all set.

• Moderators

Your fear of fat is misplaced. The amount of fat you are eating looks about right and should not be minimized. Remember, the American culture that is afraid of fat is the same culture that is fatter than any people in recorded history. We know something most people in America don't know: getting 50 percent or more of our calories from healthy fat sources is a good thing. We become lean and strong eating according to the meal template and getting plenty of fat. It is the people who try to live fat free who actually get fat.

Thank you! The answer is yes, I believe I am fitting the meal template and nope, I'm not unreasonably hungry! I Crossfit five times a week and if I eat less than this, I'm ravenous and do very poorly at my WOD.

I will delete my little app and go happily along my Whole30 way...

15 baby carrots...10 olives...15 cherry tomatoes...I sure hope you were only counting everything because you were using that app, which you're going to delete! That just sounds way too calorie-county/diet-y to me. They don't give us exact portion sizes in the meal template...partly, I think, so we get out of the habit of weighing/measuring/counting every bite we eat. Enjoy your food! Stop counting!

I'm really, really glad you're ditching the app. As Tom said our current society is fat phobic to an extent never seen before and also fatter than ever before. Look at the start of the obesity epidemic, it totally coincides with the start of low fat dieting. My grandparents generation used to fight over who got the fattiest bit of meat, who could get the fat that had dripped off it in cooking. None of them were overweight. We need the nourishment from good fats; it's sad that so many people still mistakenly avoid them.

• 4 months later...

That. Is an excellent question, and I would like to know the answer too.

I usually don't count the fat I cook with unless it's what I would call really intense fat - for example, if I have bacon, then fry my eggs in that, I do count it and only have one other fat in addition. 

Is that correct? The template calls for 1-2 servings of healthy fat...

" Does the fat you cook with count as your fat for the meal or should I be adding another fat with each meal? "

It depends. If the fat ends up on your plate and is eaten, then yes it counts. If, you cook steak, chicken or fish and the fat stays in the pan, then it doesn't count and you'll need to add more.

your meals look great to me! I have just about finished my first Whole30 and I too was worried about the amount of fat I was eating, but I figured this was because of being so conditioned towards eating low fat for yours I just had to give myself permission to do it and now I love it! I have lost only a little weight this month but as I am not overweight (at 62 kg and 168 cm) and have had a tendency to put it on these last few years (age 50) I am very happy with this and I have noticed my clothes fitting better, great energy, good workouts and all and all feel good! I may tweak the amounts of fat a bit in the next little while but the main thing was getting used to actually eating fat and enjoying the wonderful flavours it adds to the meals- enjoy!

• 4 years later...
On 2/24/2018 at 7:21 PM, Idlewanderer said:

I'm confused. I didn't know we were suppose to count carbs, fats and proteins. About how many carbs should whole30 contain per day? 

You're not. The idea is to learn to listen to your body's signals which is why we recommend you follow the recommended template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimal - just FILL YOUR PLATE!), and a serving of fat. No counting, no tracking, no measuring/weighing.

Hope this helps :)

6 hours ago, Idlewanderer said:

Where do my carbs come in?

All of the fruit, veg, nuts & seeds you are eating will contain carbs. I think the best way to keep a track without measuring is to start with a fist sized serving of starchy veg in one meal, and to aim for at least 1 cup of non starchy veg with every other meal (the recommendation is for 1-3 cups with 3 being optimum). Nuts/seeds & fruit are always more of a garnish & are recommended to be eaten in moderation, so if you're adding some nuts to your salad for a bit of crunch once in a while, &/or throwing some berries in there too the odd day to mix up the flavours then you're pretty much on track. Don't over think it.

Hope this helps :)

Archived