TXN's First Whole 30

TXN11

So it begins. My doctor recommended I try the Whole 30 a couple weeks back, and I read the book.

At first, I was worried about how much cooking and prep it would take, but now I'm looking forward to becoming a better cook and expand my recipe repertoire beyond just mac-n-cheese or beans-n-rice.

Yesterday, I got a preview of what's in store by drinking a small can of coconut milk... whoa, it's fatty and very creamy. I'm definitely going to enjoy that!

Today, I went grocery shopping and bought some meats and veggies... I got tons of veggies at a farmer's market for only 8 bucks. Eight bucks. Who said that healthy eating is so expensive? (OK, to be fair, the meats can be expensive...)

Tonight I had my first W30 dinner: Chicken cooked in ghee, and steamed brocolli & carrots. Seasoned with salt and pepper. Nice and simple. Yet it was pretty satiating.

Tomorrow morning, I look forward to cooking my breakfast for the first time in many, many years. I'll also have something that I'm familiar with... egg omelet with green bell peppers and taco meat... maybe finish it off with an apple.

Will pack a salad for lunch, it'll have chicken for protein and avacado & olive oil for fats.

Wish me luck!

Yeah, that can of coconut milk made me stomach a bit queasy, so I probably won't do that again. I did use a dollop of it in my taco meat as I seasoned it (made my own taco seasoning!!). Came out pretty well for my breakfast, was so satiated that I didn't even go for an apple afterward.

Before waking up to day 2, I dreamt of pizza and popcorn. Even woke up worrying that I slipped up by eating a handful of popcorn, relieved that it was only a dream.

Don't know if it counts as a benefit, as it is so early, my farts don't smell so bad anymore, lol.

Aside from the homemade Mayo disaster last night, my W30 is going pretty well. Some highlights:

- I made homemade chili last night, and it was delish!

- I ate out at a restaurant for the first time on W30. At none other than Cheesecake Factory! Luckily I had this healthy eating app on my iphone that helped me find a "paleo" dish, grilled ahi tuna salad with tons of veggies. The tataki sauce *might* have had a bit of sugar, but I'll let it slide because I don't have much of a "sugar dragon" and it didn't set off any cravings. Plus if it did contain sugar, I don't think it would contain any more sugar than a few berries. So I'd say this passed the W30 test and I'm going to continue as planned.

- Although my sleep has not yet improved, I do feel less bloated and gassy. Maybe I have a wheat / gluten sensitivity?? I remember when I drank a wheat-heavy beer like Blue Moon, my throat would feel itchy, coughy, and feel like I'm starting to come down with a cold.

Oh, I just googled tataki sauce and it contains soy. *sigh* Soy is everywhere... soy this, soy that. While I don't have soy allergies, I want to try and avoid soy as much as possible because it can mess up my hormones.

I really feel for those who DO have soy allergies. :(

Anyway, if I don't feel much improvement on Day 30, I'll just tack on a few extra days before starting reintroduction.

Day 6 and I didn't even want to get out of bed. Tired. Want more sleep. Laid in bed milking as much sleep as possible before having to get up for work. Just the thought of having to plan my meals makes me want to stay under the covers.

Where is this boost of energy I'm supposed to get?

Hang in there!!! The energy will come! I think it was about day 15 that I suddenly found myself walking into my house after a day of work and scrubbing down every surface I could get my hands on. The next day I got up early because I had been laying in bed plotting the reorganization of my entire kitchen.(This is totally NOT ME!)

I know it is hard in the first couple of weeks to just wait around for all these great things that you hear will happen but stick with and the results will come. And it sounds like you're having fun cooking! Focus on that for now. That's what got me through those first two weeks. Trying new recipes and turning old ones into a compliant meal can be very gratifying!!

Starting to feel a little more energetic today, much more so than yesterday. But I'm kind of having a bad day (for other reasons, not health or food related).

I do enjoy the cooking part of all this! I don't always have time to cook, and sometimes my plans get thwarted by other priorities... during those times, hard boiled eggs, diced beets, canned tuna, and pre-packed salads with ante-grilled chicken are my go-to foods.

Not much improvement in sleep. Less cravings now, though... cravings were big-time yesterday and the day before (Whew!)

Finished day 11. Made it through the weekend which consisted of a 4 hour road trip, kids birthday party, and 2 restaurant outings (had a 16 oz prime rib at one of them!)... without a major incident.

Had a minor issue with ordering unsweetend raspberry iced tea, it still contained syrup. One taste and I sent it back. Why call it 'unsweetened' if it contained syrup? Sad state of affairs we have around here: *face palm*

I'm home now wondering when I can have some damn cheese. ;)

Hi TXN. I can so relate about having to scrutinize everything for sugar, soy etc. I'm only on Day 5 and so far my energy is good. You're right that we get incredible food to eat! I use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.

Hi TXN. I can so relate about having to scrutinize everything for sugar, soy etc.

Hi Calee. Yes, it's a travesty around here. When I was on the road, I looked at the labels of beef jerky at a convenience stop, and I was shocked to see how much additives they put in there. Sugar, soybean oil, hydrogenated vegetable protein, hydrolyzed yeast blah blah. :blink:

Haha... why can't they just let beef be beef, women be women, men be men, and kids be kids?

Whew. I'm getting over a full on body revolt in the last 24 hours. After my slip up with eating tuna that had soy additives, I got a stomach ache, diarrhea, major headache, poor sleep, and another round of diarrhea upon waking up, in that order. That was bad! What in the world happened?

Maybe its the soy, or maybe I wasn't washing my raw veggies as thoroughly as I should be? It's hard to believe that such a small amount of soy would cause such a reaction. I mean, I drained the water out of the can of tuna before eating it, and I'm sure that got rid of a lot of soy.

Day 20. May 11-14 were the hardest days, not because of the food change, but I'm going through a stressful time for reasons that have nothing to do with food. The temptation to break the W30 was very high, and I almost did last night at a restaurant (beer brewery). I was thinking I'll have some turkey sandwich with cheese, but I saw a compliant menu item: garden chicken salad. That saved me, and the W30 continues.

So far, no significant increase in energy (probably drained from stress), but much less gut disturbances.

I think the fact that you know you are experiencing stress is a very important one to hold into. ISWF suggests that cortisol is a major player in the kind of re-regulation we are all hoping to achieve: it's not just insulin, leptin, and glucagon at work. So, if you don't get the energy boost you were hoping for, I would guess the stress might be a big factor. (Warning: unqualified armchair diagnostician at work!)

Now, depending on the source of your stress, this might be good news or bad news. Perhaps you can take some steps to ease the stress. Perhaps you can identify an imminent reduction of stress, such as a looming work deadline.

If the stress involves a prolonged situation, particularly if compounded by uncertainty and no-fun choices, you may just have to hang on with your teeth as best you can and not see as many benefits as you would like. But think of it this way: how much worse off might you be if you dove face first into the [poison of choice] as a way to deal with stress? (It can be hard to imagine that your case could be even worse, but it might just be helpful to you.)

If this sounds like I have swallowed some self-help book, I plead guilty. I've been listening to Daniel Gilbert's Stumbling on Happiness and I find it very interesting parallel reading with ISWF.

In any case, good luck, and hang in there!

Day 24, down the final stretch, 6 more days and Friday is the last day.

I need a good kick in the butt. I've been wanting to quit and go back to my old eating habits, or even start the reintro a week early.

Every time I go to the grocery store, I get depressed with all the crap I see on labels. And while I enjoy the good food, I still want to eat nachos, pizza, and drink craft brews. I suppose after this is done, I'd maintain good eating habits during the week, and then live it up on the weekends.

This is the final home stretch, and I'm just starting to see the finish line... but I worry that I'll go out and have a bender with nachos and beer on Friday night. That'll blow my reintroduction experiment, for sure.

Guys, talk some sense into me, please. I can make it to 30 days, but I don't need to blow up my reintro.

Maybe redefine the Whole30, because you're right, the reintro is key. The whole experiment is 30+3 days (or is it four?) for EACH of the off-program foods you plan to try out (dairy, wheat glutens, non-wheat glutens, etc). So it's really Whole40 or so, at least, if you do it right. So if you blow off the reintro, you've "failed" your Whole30, not just the reintro, and I don't think you want to do that, from what I have read of your log. (Maybe this isn't the kind of "talking sense" you needed, but it was my best try.)

So maybe they should have called it the Whole 40 from the beginning, it sets the correct expectations rather than "wait, I have to do 10 more days of this, except I can have a piece of cheese here and a toast of bread there?"

The cooking is getting harder and harder for me. I've ended up late to work because I no longer get up early to make breakfast, but I still need that breakfast so I either prepare it regardless of when I wake up, or pack it to take with me to work. Now I totally understand why pre-packaged meals are a big selling point for the busy population. Problem is MSG and all the crap. I feel like I'm fighting against the river current, and I feel it's a fight that I cannot win.

I don't dare weigh in on the proper naming/description of the Whole30, as I'm not a moderator. But I didn't want your comment to be left hanging.

I wish I had something helpful to tell you besides "hang in there." I am one who has a flexible schedule but still regularly finds myself furious at the idea that I have to prepare dinner for my kids EVERY FRICKIN' NIGHT. And when I am preparing (or even just assembling) healthy meals for myself three times a day, it makes me think that a 1 hr eating window every day might just be fine and dandy. I feel like I am being given no choice in the matter and that drives me bonkers.

But of course, I am making a choice, every time. Choosing not to feed my family McDonalds (there is one on the corner!) doesn't feel like a choice -- feeding them that kind of fast food feels unthinkable -- but fundamentally it is a choice. Maybe embracing the choice-ness of this would be some help? Dunno. Anyway, I hope you soldier on somehow, in whatever way works for you.

Thanks kew, for the encouragement! I'm about to write up a testomonial about my W30... it's day 28 so I'm almost there, and will begin reintroducing dairy on friday night.

They were right, they said people tend to start feeling better towards the end of the program, the last few days there. Days 26 and 27 was when I started feeling better (except for sleep issues).

Archived