Approved Sweeteners

Mamy

I am just finished my Whole30. What are the suggested sweeteners for maintenance? I have the book, ISWF, and don't see it. The end of the Sugars chapter says it will discuss later, but I must be missing it. Thanks!!!

Hi Mamy!

We really don't make many recommendations on sweeteners. I think we can all agree that they don't make us healthier, and should be consumed in very serious moderation. If you're not having them often, I'd say choose whichever seems the most appropriate at the time :)

So, I have the same question about diet soda. I gave up Diet Coke with my first Whole30 in October. It has been 7 months since I have had diet soda. I no longer crave it. I am wondering if this is something I can reintroduce every once in a while when not doing a Whole30. So far, I haven't. I am wondering what others are doing about this....

You can do whatever you want while not on a W30, but under zero circumstances do I believe that soda of any variety makes you anything but LESS healthy. Your call though!

Personally, I can't stand the taste of it anymore. Sickeningly sweet

When not on my W30 I've used dates to sweeten things. I take 4 dates put in a small container and cover with just enough boiling water, let them soak for 5 minutes then blitz in a processor. I keep this in the fridge and you can use in coffee, baking etc.. Makes a great substitute for refined or artificial sugar but still quite high in natural sugar so use sparingly and I don't use at all when doing W30 :)

ISWF addresses the diet soda thing. We're so addicted to sweeteners that even the fake ones cause the "must have more!" response. Okay, that was sorely paraphrased, but that's what I read. I suspect that I'll have an occasional soda, but on a regular basis, if I want bubbles, it'll be Perrier. Re-introduction scares the bejesus out of me, but I think over these next 29 days, I'll have a better feel for it.

So I broke up with diet soda during my first Whole30 and it is literally the only thing that I did not try reintroducing afterwards. The stuff they put it there to sweeten it is about 400x sweeter than sugar-- designed to make your body crave it. While you don't crave it now, I am pretty sure that if you start drinking it again you soon will. If you want a soda, why not have a regular one? Point being, diet soda is not real food and serves no good nutritional purpose, so my advice would be to steer clear FOREVER. (Sorry, I really believe strongly in this case.)

As for sweeteners I use maple syrup, honey, and occationally agave nectar or coconut sugar. These are all okay on Paleo, but not okay for Whole30. I did my first Whole30 in September of last year and I am doing another one now (on day 3) to support my mom who is doing her first. So like others have said, you need to make sure to use them in moderation since they can have the same psychological as white sugar.

I love a mineral water like Gerolsteiner with a high mineral content. It tastes mildly salty, which may sound weird but is very satisfying. Artificial sweeteners? hFCs? Blergh. If I was going to drink soda--like once a season--it'd be a nice small company ginger beer, sasparilla or something made with real ingredients and small amount of real sugar. But I think even a nice "artisanal" soda (ha!) would be hideously sweet to me now.

When not on my W30 I've used dates to sweeten things. I take 4 dates put in a small container and cover with just enough boiling water, let them soak for 5 minutes then blitz in a processor. I keep this in the fridge and you can use in coffee, baking etc.. Makes a great substitute for refined or artificial sugar but still quite high in natural sugar so use sparingly and I don't use at all when doing W30 :)

This is a great idea. I have eaten a handful of dates over my whole W30, mostly chopped up in a salad or used to sweeten homemade almond milk.

Oh, dear, I used a little date paste in my coconut milk coffee creamer. The amount of dates per serving is really pretty small, and since some fruit is allowed, I thought it should be okay. Am I wrong?

While sweetening your coffee is a little outside the spirit of the W30, I dont think its a huge deal. I have seen others do it and I dont believe I have seen a moderator say its a no no.

It's funny. I've never added sweetener to coffee or tea (hot or iced) on a regular basis. I grew up drinking tea and honey when I was ill. I will accept a cup of coffee with sweetener and cream, but I don't particularly care for it. I much prefer black and so, that's what I do :)

Oh, dear, I used a little date paste in my coconut milk coffee creamer. The amount of dates per serving is really pretty small, and since some fruit is allowed, I thought it should be okay. Am I wrong?

Dates are allowed, just not highly recommended. You're OK to eat them as along as it's in moderation and you don't have a 'food without brakes' problem with them. They are little natural sugar bombs!

• 2 weeks later...

So, is Stevia acceptable during whole30? I've hear it's from a plant so isn't that a "natural" sweetener? I've been using coconut milk in my coffee and can live with that, but it would be nice to have a bit of stevia! :P

So, is Stevia acceptable during whole30? I've hear it's from a plant so isn't that a "natural" sweetener? I've been using coconut milk in my coffee and can live with that, but it would be nice to have a bit of stevia!

No sweeteners allowed during W30.

LRM, on 08 May 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

I love plain club soda with frozen fruit instead of ice: peaches, strawberries, blueberries, etc. Delicious and very refreshing.

What a cool idea! (sorry, couldn't resist, and I really do like the idea)

I pulverized a tray of raspberries along with some strawberries and the fruit of one lime, then froze the concoction in an ice cube tray. I use them once in a while for a change. They're also good as a cold treat on a super hot day.

LRM, on 08 May 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

I love plain club soda with frozen fruit instead of ice: peaches, strawberries, blueberries, etc. Delicious and very refreshing.

I pulverized a tray of raspberries along with some strawberries and the fruit of one lime, then froze the concoction in an ice cube tray. I use them once in a while for a change. They're also good as a cold treat on a super hot day.

Great idea! Will have to give it a try

I've been mixing half club soda with half what ever herbal tea I feel like (cold brewed) and a twist of lime. I drink it in a wine glass (WHY NOT?!) while the hubs is having his afternoon beer. I actually really enjoy it and I don't feel so left out while he and whatever friends are over and relaxing/chatting with their beer and wine....

and It works to kind of disguise the fact that I'm not drinking so that no one pressures me into drinking (yes, we have THOSE types of friends, lol ranging from ages 19-55, not ironically mostly people I met while bar tending)

• 3 years later...

What about a product called Dolcedi? It's a 12 oz jar, and the ingredients list: concentrated organic apple juice.  Its label says it's a low glycemic sweetener from apples.

While on one hand, I don't buy anything for the sole purpose of sweetening something (kinda goes against the spirit of Whole30), someone on a group I'm on asked if it was ok, since apple juice as a sweetener in a recipe is ok.

I could go either way on this one.

What about a product called Dolcedi? It's a 12 oz jar, and the ingredients list: concentrated organic apple juice.  Its label says it's a low glycemic sweetener from apples.

While on one hand, I don't buy anything for the sole purpose of sweetening something (kinda goes against the spirit of Whole30), someone on a group I'm on asked if it was ok, since apple juice as a sweetener in a recipe is ok.

I could go either way on this one.

My instinct says no, but what do they want to use it for?

Archived