Need a little encouragement!

Danielle Schwartz

Hey there....It's been a while since I've been on the Whole 9/30 Forum. Since having knee surgery in early March, I have been off my game, and need the reset of a Whole 30 to get back. I've been cleared to exercise again, but am having a hard time staying focused, nutritionally speaking. Overall, my diet isn't dreadful (Paleo is the norm, not the exception, for me), but there are days at work when I'm bored and unmotivated, so I wander into the kitchen and start to snack on the crap that's there (I work in a medical office, so the drug reps & patients are constantly bringing stuff in. So while I start off the day with the best intentions, it goes downhill mid-afternoon, and I say to myself, "I'll re-start tomorrow." Short of quitting my job (ha!), would love to hear some pearls of wisdom from anyone out there who has had trouble getting over the starting hump.

I guess your best strategy for overcoming this is to have something available for you when you decide to wander into the kitchen. If you had some hardboiled eggs and baby carrots, for example. If you look at those and say "no i don't want those" then it may raise a red flag that you are not hungry; you are just bored or in a "slump". Walking away from the treats one time may give you the win, and the confidence you need to walk away more often then you partake.

You are stronger than the crap in the kitchen!

You can do it. They bring in all kinds of sweet treats at my office and it's really hard to say no, especially when I just want to rationalize having it. But YOU can do anything for 30 days! And all those yummy things will be there for you later but you made the decision to do this so stick with it!

Danielle, You can totally do this! I like to think of the end goal in mind. So you can look back when you get to DAY 30 and say, I did this, and I did it for myself, my health and I feel great! There is such a feeling of achievement at the end of the road. Stay focused and committed so that you can enjoy that celebration!

• Moderators

What motivates me is looking at my parents - mother age 86 and father age 91. My DNA promises to support my living to be an old man, but I want to get there in much better shape than my parents. My mother is an obese, Type 2 diabetic who needs oxygen most of the day. She allowed herself too many "yummy" treats. I noticed it 20 years ago, but she kept saying that having one bite of this and one bite of that didn't hurt. It turns out, it does hurt. My father has dementia. The relationship of food to dementia is not crystal clear, but eating pro-inflammatory foods is probably not the best thing for our brains. Almost every time I talk to my parents, eating my favorite meal of wilted greens with some slow cooker roast beef is more appealing and eating random desserts less imaginable.

One thing that really helped me was getting the daily emails. I found it a real psychological prop. When I thought 'oh I could start again tomorrow', the thought of having to click the 'I failed, i need to start over link' really made me pause. I so wanted to press the 'Yeah I did it, I'm on to the next day link'. I know you've been on W30 before but if you haven't had the emails I'd really recomend them.

Another thing that helped was logging my food in the community section each day. I soooo didn't want to write 'gave in - ate crap' that the thought of that really made me pause. I also gave myself treats for remaining compliant. 'If i get through the next 3 days (or 3 hours or whatever it takes) I'll treat myself to that new book I want' or whatever works for you.

You can do this. All you have to do is decide each morning 'I will do this, not 'I'll try to do it'. good luck and come back and report your success. :)

What motivates me is looking at my parents - mother age 86 and father age 91. My DNA promises to support my living to be an old man, but I want to get there in much better shape than my parents. My mother is an obese, Type 2 diabetic who needs oxygen most of the day. She allowed herself too many "yummy" treats. I noticed it 20 years ago, but she kept saying that having one bite of this and one bite of that didn't hurt. It turns out, it does hurt. My father has dementia. The relationship of food to dementia is not crystal clear, but eating pro-inflammatory foods is probably not the best thing for our brains. Almost every time I talk to my parents, eating my favorite meal of wilted greens with some slow cooker roast beef is more appealing and eating random desserts less imaginable.

Thank you for sharing this Tom. My father never made it to 61 and my mother passed away at 69. My initial journey to health was when I realized I was headed in that same direction. I am so short-sighted some times. Your comment was a great reminder to me about why I wanted to be healthy in the first place.

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words (Home, home on the range...), advice, perspective, etc! I think I'll sign up for the daily Whole 30 emails, which were not available when I did my first Whole 30. Here goes... (I've been seeing this Yoda quote pop up quite a bit on Facebook these days, and I think I'll make it my mantra: "Do or do not. There is no try.")

Archived