Coconut Water

I bought a bottle of coconut water when I started W30 24 days ago but have yet to open it. :rolleyes: Can someone describe to flavor? Does it have a strong coconut taste? What do you think the pros/cons of drinking it?

Whole Foods has organic 100% raw Coconut Water on sale tomorrow two 8-ounce bottles for $3 (normally 2.99 each). Even though I will be finishing W30 in a week, I don't want to start drinking Diet Cokes again and would like some alternative options other than water and hot green tea.

I guess I could go home and open the can tonight to see for myself... :D Your thoughts would be much appreciated too!

After googling, I found a list of health benefits from nutrition-and-you.com:

Health benefits of coconut water

• Coconut water is a very refreshing drink to beat tropical summer thirst. The juice is packed with simple sugar, electrolytes, and minerals to replenish hydration levels within the body.

• Research studies suggest that cytokinins (e.g., kinetin and trans-zeatin) in coconut water showed significant anti-ageing, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic effects.

• Coconut water has been generally offered to patients with diarrhea in many tropic regions to replace the fluid loss from the gastrointestinal tract and reduce the need for intravenous therapy. The osmolarity of tender coconut water is slightly greater than that of WHO recommended ORS (Oral Rehydration Therapy) osmolarity. Presence of other biological constituents like amino acids, enzymes, minerals, and fatty acids may account for this higher osmolarity. However, unlike WHO-ORS, its water is very low in sodium and chlorides, but rich in sugars and amino acids. This well-balanced fluid composition with much-needed calories would be an ideal drink than any other brand of soft drink beverages in dehydration conditions.

• Coconut water is composed of many naturally occurring bioactive enzymes such as acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase, RNA-polymerases etc. In effect, these enzymes help in the digestion and metabolism.
  • Despite very light consistency, its water has much better composition of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc than some of the fruits like oranges. (Compare the mineral composition of oranges).

• Its water is also a very good source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates. These vitamins are essential in the sense that the human body requires them from external sources to replenish.

• Coconut water contains a very good amount of electrolyte potassium. 100 ml of water has 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium. Together, these electrolytes help replenish electrolyte deficiency in the body due to diarrhea (loose stools).
  • Further, fresh coconut water has a small amount of vitamin-C (Ascorbic acid); It provides about 2.4 mg or 4% of RDA. Vitamin C is a water-soluble ant-oxidant.

Sounds beneficial to drink but how does it taste?? <_<

• Moderators

The marketing people make sure you find lots of positive information about drinking coconut water, but the truth of the matter is that it is too rich for every day consumption. You are better off drinking ordinary water or herbal tea. I think coconut water makes a good drink after a half-marathon race, but not something you need after an average workout and too sweet to be an everyday beverage.

How does it taste? Coconutty and sweet.

I drink it on occasion - usually only if I've had a hard workout or I've spent a lot of time in the sun and am feeling a bit dehydrated. It's a nice change from water, but it's too sweet for regular consumption. At most, I'll have a glass once or twice a month.

A lot of herbal teas are good cold and are very refreshing. Mint is my favorite - I just brew it with the teabags like normal and then cool it in the fridge and pour it over ice.

For taste, the ones in tetra packs seem to taste better than the ones in cans...in my opinion. I often keep a carton in the fridge and just take a sip or two when I want something other than water. The one I bought recently is contains pineapple and is super deeeelish!

Thanks for all the info! I guess I'll open the container I have tonight to see if it's really worth it for me to have around, especially during the summber months when it's hot and I go hiking. It apparenly lasts awhile in the tetra packs so it wouldn't hurt to buy a few to have on hand...if I like it! ;)

I find that coconut varies wildly by brand and packaging. I've bought some that I can drink straight, some I have to water down, and some that are way disgusting. I agree that the canned ones are by far the worst. I buy the tetrapack ones to mix with water and take on my harder/longer runs especially when it is hot/sunny out. I will every now and then get a small glass bottle as a treat...also usually on a day I've had a particularly hard workout and still feeling dehydrated despite lots of water.

Hubby uses the O.N.E brand one for his electrolyte replacement on his long (60+miles) bike rides. It's not overly sweet, nor overly coconutty in flavour. He says that after awhile overly sweet things get too much for him, but that particular brand is fine.

Hubby uses the O.N.E brand one for his electrolyte replacement on his long (60+miles) bike rides. It's not overly sweet, nor overly coconutty in flavour. He says that after awhile overly sweet things get too much for him, but that particular brand is fine.

This is the brand I mix with water and take on my harder runs too.

• 3 months later...

I drink it after exercising as I've heard many times about coconut water benefits described in this article for example, but I personally don't like the taste. I was wondering if natural coconut water tastes different from store bought one? At least I suppose its more beneficial than commercial coconut water.

Archived