Coconut Milk separating in coffee

I've tried three different brands of canned coconut milk since starting W30 11 days ago. All of them separate and look gross in coffee. Is there a trick to this?

I empty the can into one of my old protein powder shaker cups and keep it in the fridge at work. This way I can shake it before every use. This does actually thicken it up a bit but it doesn't seem to matter what consistency the milk is at, it still breaks and looks (and feels) gross.

Also, how long does coconut milk keep after opening? This morning's seemed off...after 3-4 days.

I also hate the oily separation of coconut milk in my coffee. After reading a few posts in the forums I began making my own coconut crème. There's a few recipes floating around, but here is what I do:

1 can of full fat coconut milk

2 Tablespoons of coconut oil (liquid or solid, it doesn't seem to make a difference for me)

1 Large egg

Whip it together in a blender or food processor for a minute or two. Store in a container in the fridge. After a few hours it will thicken into a delicious crème that is a lot more milky in your coffee. Each batch lasts me about a week.

Came here to say exactly what LRM did. Made some last night, it's fantastic. I didn't mind plain coconut milk myself, but this just kicks it up a notch.

Throw in a tsp of vanilla extract if you'd like, as well.

IF your vanilla extract is free of alcohol!

When I am too lazy to make my whipped coconut cream, I heat regular coconut milk in the microwave. I then pour it into a jar and add my coffee (and some cinnamon too!). I shake the hell out of it; that seems to keep it from separating. Of course, maybe it is because I suck it down so fast it doesn't have a chance to separate?

The last few days I have also been adding some coconut oil directly into the mix before I shake it. So good!

IF your vanilla extract is free of alcohol!

Correct. I should have said pure vanilla extract.

the egg is raw? how long does it last? hmmmmmm I might have to try this!

Should be as long as the egg is good for. Most people seem to say they get about a week before it's used up and it's good that whole time.

Update: I opened a brand new can of coconut milk last night...not shaken...it was thick and perfect. I scooped a few tablespoons out into a container and brought to work. I add a big scoop to my mug, microwave for 10 seconds to melt, then added coffee. No separation!

A wee bit more work but much better result.

Say no to shake shake shaking. :)

(As an aside, we'll be eating the rest of the coconut 'cream' atop fruit for dessert, and I saved the water from underneath the cream to use in a soup or something...)

I am going to try that coconut creme. I use hazelnut milk and have FANTASTIC results with it, I think it tastes amazing, but for a change...1c hazelnuts 3 c water, 5 dates, 2 vanilla pods, blend and pour through nut bag. I used to use 1 c hazelnuts to 2c water, but have found a little more water creates a better consistency for me.

Archived