One day at a time - Laura's first w30

baker-in-exile

I am keeping track of my food intake in two other places - my LoseIt! iPhone app, and a "food and feelings" notebook I started last night to track my meals and emotions throughout this process. I am breastfeeding a baby, so I feel it's important for me to track my calories, just to ensure I am eating enough (I tend to not if I don't keep track). I feel like it will be good for me accountability-wise to record here as well.

day one

I woke up and immediately read a few paragraphs from the whole30 program on the website so I could start the day on a motivated, positive note. Before making breakfast for the whole family, I also took a few minutes to write down some affirmations in my journal. It might be corny, but writing down the same affirmation/goal each day and taking a minute to visualize it as reality helps me so much.

Anyway.

Meal 1:

- two fried eggs (cooked in clarified butter) served over

- wilted swiss chard, sauteed onions and chicken apple sausage (enough to fill the rest of the plate...it was probably 1-2 cups of veggies)

- coffee with 1 tbsp coconut cream

Meal 2:

(I kind of dropped the ball here, while I was making it I was thinking "this is a snack" and then it ended up being my lunch because I didn't eat again until the late afternoon)

- carrots with a ranch-inspired guac (1 avocado, 1/4c. chopped parsley, garlic salt, lemon juice); 1/2 of a pear

Snack:

- small apple

- dry roasted macadamia nuts

Meal 3:

- Roasted chicken breast w/ skin (chopped and reheated w/ coconut oil because I roasted it earlier in the day)

- steamed broccoli

- roasted cauliflower + roasted beets (drizzled w/ the appropriate serving of fat - clarified butter)

Snack (because I forgot to take my vitamins at dinner):

- 3/4 pear

yesterday felt...too easy. ONCE during the morning after breakfast I felt a little queasy, but aside from that, nothing. I didn't feel overwhelming sugar or carb cravings, I was fine preparing food for the rest of the family with all the no-no's...cheese, rice, bread, etc. I felt an awareness that if I didn't have snacks close at hand, it would be hard to resist the instinct to pop a few animal cookies in my mouth while the kids were snacking on them, or the odd slice of cheese...so I made sure to have snacks close by.

I was beyond thrilled when I went through my normal supplements and discovered they're all W30 compliant: Megafoods women's multi (soy free hallelujah!), evening primrose oil caps (keeps the PMS demons at bay), krill oil, chlorella tabs (chlorophyll + detox benefits) and tumeric caps (fend off the brain fog and improve my cognitive function...not kidding, they completely make a difference). So I am taking those daily as well.

I have never considered myself a particularly disciplined woman, so it is liberating to see that when I set my mind to something, I can do it. I just have to keep at it and keep my mind focused in the right place.

Incidentally - my oldest is in first grade and we are home schooling her. Yesterday as part of her handwriting/copywork, we discussed the saying "Do not let anything turn you from your purpose." For now that is my motto. :-)

Last night I got home from taking the kids to the playground and my husband handed me a piece of paper - at the top it said "30 days of _(eating the W30 way)_" and then followed by 30 calendar-sized boxes and at the bottom "...yay!" - The idea is to pu a big red X on each day you complete. It's on my refrigerator now, next to my ISWF shopping list and meal template. :-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Your breakfast and lunch were good, but you missed by a long distance on that snacky lunch. It doesn't matter what your calorie counter says, you need protein at every meal and a plate full of veggies. Counting calories is a distraction that keeps you in a bad relationship with food. And as a breastfeeding mom, you need starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, butternut squash, pumkin, yuca, etc. to keep your energy up.

Hi and welcome! I like your user name.

PLEASE lose the lose-it app. I completely understand that you want to make sure you are eating enough; an app is not going to tell you that. Your body is. Follow the meal template, making sure to get everything and add a 4th meal for your breastfeeding if you are feeling hungrier.

If you eat enough at every meal, it won't matter what the kids are having; you won't feel the slightest craving for an animal cracker!

that's what Day 2 is for

exactly! :-)

Today was a mostly good day.

Meal 1: (10am ish)

- 3 scrambled eggs over sauteed asparagus, onions, chicken apple sausage (shared some of this with middle child and youngest child...but only enough to make it maybe 2 1/2 eggs, vs. 3)

- coffee with 1 tbsp coconut cream

Meal 2: (12:30/1pm)

- leftover roasted chicken & cauliflower from last night + salad of beets and cucumbers

Snack: (4pm)

- 4 dates (don't judge. these fixed a systemic "thing" that was about to become a problem for me)

- macadamia nuts

- 1 oz -ish roasted chicken

Meal 3: (7pm)

- Roasted chicken breast w/ skin, roasted carrots + celery + onion, pan juices (including fat) from chicken

- salad: lettuce, cucumber, artichokes, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 apple

Things I like: because it requires more forethought, I have made dinner much earlier the last two days, it certainly makes my evenings easier. I feel pretty great so far...very clean.

Things I need to work on: snacks or fourth meal or whatever name you choose to call the things you eat that are not breakfast lunch or dinner. I am a stay at home mom and I love cooking, so spending time in the kitchen (barefoot and even sometimes pregnant!) is something I enjoy...but between the three kids (first grade, preschool and baby), I am also out places basically every day. Places like the playground, the library, the local body of water, etc. Snacking may be frowned upon, but eating smaller frequent meals is essential to my survival. I need to figure out how to reasonably stick to the template for those snacks.

All in all, I'm pleased with the process so far...

You might want to post a question in the Breastfeeding section but I agree that you don't need to count calories. Is amazing what your real hunger cues can do for you once you get in touch with them. After all, women breastfed for thousands of years without counting calories.

I think getting enough fat with your meals and nutritious protein and, as Tom said, starchy veg, will be your best ally and with the addition of a 4th meal, will probably eliminate the need for snacks as you adapt to getting the bulk of your nutrients in your meals. I'm also a SAHM with two little kids and we are always running around. In the beginning, I did feel the need to snack on the playground or when I went food shopping or running errands on the weekends. But with the exception of my period I don't feel that urge so much.

The idea of eating enough at meals to sustain you till your next meal is a pretty big part of the W30 so you should give it a shot. And maybe check out a copy of ISWF. (It's not that snacking is "frowned upon" for some ascetic reason but there is a physiological benefit--in part you are forcing your body to use fat and not sugar as fuel, also: hormones come into play.)

I also found that playground and errand snacking is in large part a habit (most kids are being fed like every other hour it seems--and we moms munch right along) and not usually necessary. I started bringing chili in a thermos and avocado to the playground so I could eat and feed my daughter a real lunch. IME the all day nibbling is part of my SAHM habits I want to get away from. You feel like you need it, but if you were to feed yourself sufficiently you'll find you do not. And now on Day 25 I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the three meals.

I also found that playground and errand snacking is in large part a habit (most kids are being fed like every other hour it seems--and we moms munch right along) and not usually necessary. I started bringing chili in a thermos and avocado to the playground so I could eat and feed my daughter a real lunch. IME the all day nibbling is part of my SAHM habits I want to get away from. You feel like you need it, but if you were to feed yourself sufficiently you'll find you do not.

This is a really good point. It's funny because I've been at the playground every day this week so I've had lots of opportunities to analyze my habits, cravings, impulses etc...After our outing today, I told my husband "I think I'm snacking at the playground partly out of boredom" (<<<so lame/gross/kind of embarrassing?) Today, I felt okay just having four meals and no snacks. Which is a big deal.

meal 1 (10am): sweet potato hash, chicken apple sausage with 3 hard boiled eggs coffee with coconut cream.

meal 2 (1:00): (at the playground) chopped salad of roasted chicken, cucumbers, shredded carrots, roasted beets, 1/2 apple, 1/2 avocado, dressed with lime juice and garlic salt. So. good. My kids kept mooching off of my lunch. :-)

meal 3: (3:00) macadamia nuts, pear slices, the last bit of my lunch salad

meal 4 (8:00): 3 Grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 small baked sweet potato with coconut oil, salad (lettuce, cucumber, artichokes), steamed broccoli, 1/4 of a tomato.

So. that 1/4 tomato was an experiment...after having my first child, I suddenly became really allergic/sensitive to tomatoes. On the level of - tomatoes (especially raw tomatoes) typically send my gastrointestinal system into extreme pain and cramping. No gas, no...other things...just severe cramping. And I hate the fact that my body hates tomatoes because I LURVE tomatoes. anyway...experiment was a big fat fail because my stomach/intestines are KILLING me right now. Killing.

Meal 1 (10am): repeat of yesterday but with eggs fried in coconut oil. 1/2 c. Frozen mango

Meal 2: a long nap. Seriously. Baby went down and I went down with her. For two hours. It was delicious. And I wasnt remotely hungry.

(Mini-)Meal 3 (4:30): cold BBQ chicken thigh from last night, handful of macadamia nuts, cucumbers slices, 6-7 dates

>>coffee with coconut cream<<

Meal 4: dinner will be: soup made from fresh homemade chicken bone broth, filled with veggies (carrots, onion, asparagus, maybe some broccoli) and more leftover BBQ chicken, fortified with an egg or two.

I feel more tired today but that could be related to a ) multiple night-wakings courtesy of little Baker #2 and Baby Baker

or b ) a certain monthly visitor that came early this month.

I also woke up with a wicked leg cramp at some point last night, which lingered until this morning. I haven't had one since I was pregnant with Baby Baker. I'm hoping it was just dehydration from being out in the heat all day yesterday and not drinking enough, as opposed to a vitamin deficiency (which would be seriously weird with all the good food I'm eating, plus taking a good food-based multi).

On an emotional level I really do need to stop worrying about the next 25 days. Like labor, one contraction (meal/day) at a time. Otherwise it's a bit overwhelming. I am trying hard to not think in terms of "I can't have that" and more in terms like "I want this instead" or at least "I CHOOSE not to have that."

As my screen name suggests, I love baking and right now I miss it. I miss the feel of soft, yeasty bread dough in my hands, the smells of butter and sugar and flour and eggs and vanilla wafting through my kitchen. I have been trying to pick up my other hobbies - knitting, reading, writing - to distract from being away from my first and most loved hobby.

I also feel almost a sense of mourning...if that makes any sense. I am totally behind what I'm doing, I know my reasons for doing it and I believe I'm doing something very healthy, healing and loving for my body, but I also feel some sadness at my temporary surrender of my food liberties. I suppose that in doing this, and having more layers of my emotional relationship to food laid bare, I am buying a new kind of food liberty for myself - the kind where I am not at a loss for self-control around substances that may do me harm in the long run. It's a worthy cause and thinking of it that way helps me stay at least dedicated.

And there's today's navel gazing entry in my W30 log.

Before I went grain/dairy free, I was VERY into spending every sunday morning baking fresh bread for me and my husband for the upcoming week. I loved getting up early to knead the dough I'd started the night before and then baking it. So I understand how you feel. BUT, now that I've seen my health do a total 180, watched the weight fall off in a way that's never happened before in my life, I can say that I don't miss it nearly as much as I did in those first couple weeks. It'll get better. :)

Before I went grain/dairy free, I was VERY into spending every sunday morning baking fresh bread for me and my husband for the upcoming week. I loved getting up early to knead the dough I'd started the night before and then baking it. So I understand how you feel. BUT, now that I've seen my health do a total 180, watched the weight fall off in a way that's never happened before in my life, I can say that I don't miss it nearly as much as I did in those first couple weeks. It'll get better. :)

Thanks. :-) I know it will. I am looking for that 180 you describe, especially in the weight department. I will be 30 next year, I'm really anxious to start that part of my life in the best health and shape possible and it's clear from my history that that's going to require some serious dietary changes.

You might have a nightshade sensitivity. I'm discovering I do. I knew I couldn't handle bell pepper but the last two times I had tomato I got heartburn like I have not had since being Paleo. I'm playing around with it to see what I can discover. Yay for the experiment of 1.

I should rename this thread "we're gonna need more eggs" because seriously. We're all eating more eggs now. And my family of five was already slaying 3 dozen per week.

Physibeth you might be right. I don't remember having many problems with peppers but they aren't a normal part of my diet and hell would most likely freeze over before anyone found me eating eggplant so...tomatoes are all I have to go on.

***Day Five***

Today was fine. I am wondering if I should be feeling worse right now because I feel ok. I did have some bouts of short tempered-ness today but not at all what I anticipated week one would be like.

Meal 1: sweet potato and Swiss chard hash, three eggs fried in coconut oil, chicken apple sausage, a few pieces of frozen mango; coffee with coconut cream.

Meal 2 (so good!): grilled chicken thighs chopped into cubes with cucumbers, roasted cauliflower and avocado, dressed with fresh squeezed lime juice and garlic salt. Apple slices (1/2 an apple) and a few dates plus a second cup of coffee with coconut cream and a dash of cinnamon (yum). This meal was making me so happy...until our parakeet flew the cage and landed right in my (thankfully-nearly-empty) salad bowl.

Meal 3: more chicken soup (same as last night), 1/2 roasted sweet potato mashed with cinnamon. 1/4 c. Macadamia nuts and a few more dates (because they are the only dried fruit I can find that are easy for me to put away after just a few, aren't sweetened with extras and keep things...moving).

Throughout the day I tried to drink more water because I've been feeling dehydrated.

Other reflections:

- i am really curious to get a lipid panel once this is all over. I just had one at the beginning of April and my doctor called and was concerned because my cholesterol was 202. She gave me the little speech about how i needed to eat less red meat (I don't eat red meat at all) and more grains. I refrained arguing. I'll be interested to see the results after.

- Everything tastes good to me. My taste buds are more alive than ever so a sweet potato suddenly tastes like the richest, silkiest custard you could imagine and my homemade chicken stock is like a sunburst of savory goodness. It's kind of awesome.

- I feel like I should feel really crappy right now because, you guys, I am a really really serious sugar addict. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop honestly, I'm afraid I'll hit the home stretch and be like "I needs moar sugaarrr naaaaowwww!"

- I mentioned I'm breastfeeding still - and I did stop calorie counting after the second day - my milk supply seems to be normal if not better than before. So yay. I was counting calories because I've done this (breastfeeding thing) long enough (uh...6+ years, almost 7) to know that I need about 2000 calories a day to sustain a good supply. And I know from past dieting experience than in the absence of grain-based-carbs, it has been difficult for me to keep that level. Thankfully with this challenge the fat makes it easy to hit that number and after two days I was more than satisfied that I'm eating enough to cover my personal lactation needs.

- Probably related to above: hot flashes anyone? I'm 29. Hot flashes should not be part of my life right now. But they are and they're especially bad this week for some reason.

So day five is in the books. 25 to go.

Day six!

Meal 1: two cups asparagus + onion sautéed in ghee, fried egg, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 1/4 pear

Meal 2: so...today went off the rails a bit. I ate breakfast around 9:30 and left the house at 1:00 to do my weekly shopping. I wasn't even hungry. And here's the extra shocker to me: I didn't even have my usual coffee today. Meal 2 basically was some cut up veggies (carrots, snap peas, jicama) and a handful of macadamia nuts and a few pieces of roast chicken. I sort of stuck with the template but it was a small lunch.

Meal 3: I was annoyed that my favorite taco seasoning has sugar in it so I made my own - cumin, chili, paprika, onion, garlic salt - dinner was a skillet meal of sliced chicken breast and asparagus seasoned with that and some lime juice, pan sauce with some coconut oil stirred in. Over half a sweet potato and a handful of olives.

Meal 4: dinner was early, meal 4 was a few more cut veggies, olives, macadamia nuts, three dates, and some chicken leftover from dinner.

Things I want to work on this week:

- eating sitting down! I've been more aware of my habit of eating meals (especially lunch) at the counter. I need to practice putting my food on a plate and sitting at the table to eat.

- cooking multiple meals or parts of meals at a time so I have fewer "crap what do I eat for lunch?!" moments.

Another day of feeling absolutely fine. Nothing feels especially different except that I feel lean and maybe just a smidge more energetic.

Oddly enough - my biggest temptation right now is how bad I want to weigh myself. Hid the scale in the dark corner of the closet. Making hubs keep me accountable to no peek until day 31.

Day seven

Meal 1 (around 10:30/11): asparagus, onion, sweet potato hash, three soft boiled eggs, coffee with coconut cream, mango and banana slices

Meal 2: macadamia nuts and olives, chicken apple sausage, asparagus, a few apple slices

Meal 3: BBQ chicken thighs (rubbed with curry/tandoori-inspired spices), roasted cauliflower, cucumber and red onion salad with parsley, 1/2 avocado, frozen blackberries

What worked today:

- I made a big batch of s.p. hash so I'll at least enough for the next few days, grilled a big batch of chicken so that will cover lunches. Check for my goal of cooking multiple things at once...or sort of.

- the template is king. When I make sure my meals are right in line with the template, I can go for hours without thinking of food. This is unheard-of in my life up to this point. Generally I would eat and feel "starving" just a couple hours later. Yay for being satisfied by my meals!

What didn't work:

Lunch was eaten at the counter again. I put part of it on a plate at least but probably overdid it on the olives (straight from the jar) :-(

My skin is breaking out. Pimples on my face, chest and neck = not normal for me. Guessing it's related to cleaning up my body but super lame nonetheless.

I don't really miss much...sure, I'd love to hork down a few cookies or some chocolate, but I feel so much more aware of the big picture (it's bad for me and I'll feel like crap after eating it)...I'm less and less conscious of their absence every day. It's nice.

Hey. First of all you are doing amazing. When I was nursing my daughter I could barely mange to make myself a "healthy" meal. (At the time my stand-by easy not bagel lunch was quinoa and beans.)

So bravo!

Second, not sure if you saw it but Melissa Hartwig posted something that said "no snacking" doesn't apply to BFing moms. She suggested sipping on coconut milk or eating olives throughout the day as needed. Still, I feel in my gut that unless you are going through a growth spurt, supply issues or a really tiny baby, it's probably good to try to suss out if you're snacking out of habit or hunger.

I definitely started relying on late afternoon snacks (usually sugary) to help me get through those last hours of the day before bedtime. As a "treat," something to calm my nerves, take a break from my kids, etc. I didn't even realize how dependent I'd gotten on that afternoon mood boost till I gave up sugar! In the last few days I started eating some dried fruit and nuts here and there and my afternoon sugar snack monster has returned with a vengeance. Boo!

Anyhow, just wanted to say nice work. Keep it up. I also love baking so I feel your pain on that one! I never chucked all my non-compliant food pre W30 but I think I might now. Though there are the birthday cakes...

Congrats! You're doing fantastic!

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? I only ask because I know of a few women, myself included, who had milk supply issues from hypothyroid but then exacerbated by any lifestyle/ dietary changes. My supply issues only came on with my third baby. I was downright hangry and cutting the grains had my supply go to almost non-existent which crazy cycled into newborn-esque type feedings with an older baby. :s.

Second, not sure if you saw it but Melissa Hartwig posted something that said "no snacking" doesn't apply to BFing moms. She suggested sipping on coconut milk or eating olives throughout the day as needed. Still, I feel in my gut that unless you are going through a growth spurt, supply issues or a really tiny baby, it's probably good to try to suss out if you're snacking out of habit or hunger.

I definitely started relying on late afternoon snacks (usually sugary) to help me get through those last hours of the day before bedtime. As a "treat," something to calm my nerves, take a break from my kids, etc. I didn't even realize how dependent I'd gotten on that afternoon mood boost till I gave up sugar! In the last few days I started eating some dried fruit and nuts here and there and my afternoon sugar snack monster has returned with a vengeance. Boo!

Anyhow, just wanted to say nice work. Keep it up. I also love baking so I feel your pain on that one! I never chucked all my non-compliant food pre W30 but I think I might now. Though there are the birthday cakes...

I saw something somewhere about bf'ing moms eating a fourth meal even if they don't WO (which, hah, ask me how often I work out? Yeah. Never. Which I also need to work on). The revelation for me is exactly what you were talking about - realizing why I snack. Apparently it's much more out of boredom, needing stress relief or a sugar boost than it is hunger. Yesterday was particularly awful with my second born (three is the new terrible two) and I did find myself reaching for dates and nuts in the afternoon. But I put a stop to it.

I'm afraid of the sugar dragon too...when my w30 is up, it will be just in time for the big 3 in 1 birthday party We're having for the girls. Which means I have a fancy cake to make. I have no intention of not tasting it, but I need to really get my mind steeled to having that be my only off-roading trip for awhile when it comes to sugar. I may relax on dairy a bit (cheese!!) but I am not really missing bread that much.

This summer I want to work on following the meal template for everyone in the family and having the other stuff (bread, cheese, etc) be extras.

Thanks for the encouragement! Good luck with the sugar thing!

Congrats! You're doing fantastic!

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? I only ask because I know of a few women, myself included, who had milk supply issues from hypothyroid but then exacerbated by any lifestyle/ dietary changes. My supply issues only came on with my third baby. I was downright hangry and cutting the grains had my supply go to almost non-existent which crazy cycled into newborn-esque type feedings with an older baby. :s.

Had my thyroid levels checked in december, they're normal. I don't really have supply issues unless I'm dehydrated or not eating enough calories. So far supply is fine (except, the baby is doing a weird newborn thing as of last night - she won't sleep. At all! But I *think* she is teething. She's definitely getting enough to eat between me and solids. She's almost one, it's not like I'm her sole source of nutrition at this point). I'm keeping an eye on it but like I said, in the past when I've dieted by just cutting out or severely cutting back on carbs, my supply would drop. This time I'm a ) not dieting b ) replacing bad calories with good ones and c ) not cutting out carbs, just grains and some starches. Sweet potatoes are my friends. :-)

It's a good point though, in the thyroid, I do have a family history of thyroid issues. So far they haven't shown up for me personally. I add kelp seasoning (which has about 3mg of iodine per serving) to my meal once a day which is supposed to help protect the thyroid. There's a book called "healing is voltage" that is pretty interesting on the subject of thyroid health...

Day...eight??

Meal 1: more sp hash plus asparagus, eggs, chicken sausage bladeeblah. Yes, it's exactly the same as what I've been eating the whole week but I like it and it's relatively fast so I'll stick with it until I cannot bear to look at it.

Meal 2: out at a museum with kids and friends today, packed our lunches: salad of cucumber, red onions, chicken thigh; macadamia nuts and apple slices

Snacked at 4pm because lunch was smaller than it should have been: mixed fruit, macadamia nuts and some more chicken.

Meal three: new salad! Butter lettuce, strawberries, red onions, cucumbers, avocado with lime juice vinaigrette and chicken apple sausage. So good!!

Feelings...

Can't believe I've lasted eight days? I don't know. I physically felt amazing today, vibrant and thin and happy. Helps that the weather is gorgeous. But it really was a stressful day and at the end of it...I'm tired and a bit doubtful and I want to get on the scale because somehow part of me needs the validation? And I really need to get over that whole link between the number on the scale and how I feel about my progress. I've been asking myself "how would you feel at the end of this if you stepped on the scale and weighed exactly the same as when you started?" right now I disapprove of my answer to that question and I think it's something I need to unpack over the next few weeks. FTR my scale is buried in a dark corner of the closet and I am NOT going to cave to the temptation.

Blah.

Well. The rest of the country may be in the midst of a snowy frankenstorm but over here on my slice of the California coast it was like 80 degrees today. And for me and my foggy ocean climate constitution that is tooooo hot. And when its hot all I want to do is drink iced tea (thankfully i have some compliant herbal tea that's good iced) and eat buckets of cold fruit - preferably cantaloupe and watermelon and other melon. I've been following the template today and trying to make sure I didnt let the fruit *replace* anything else important but my appetite for anything besides has been small. Need to make sure a day of eating cantaloupe (me and the baby devoured a whole - smallish - melon today) doesn't turn on my dormant sugar dragon.

I am on day 31 and I haven't weighed myself. I'm afraid ill be disappointed--even though I know I'm a lot smaller. Old habits die hard.

I went through a phase of not being too hungry. It passed. I also prefer cool and foggy any day.

So Day Nine. Which means tomorrow is Day 10, which feels oddly exciting. 1/3 of the way through!

Today was stressful and like I said, hot. But I survived. And managed to even fend off the temptation to guzzle down the homemade lemonade I made for my kids (with sugar!)...despite that fact that it was cool and refreshing-looking and the perfect day for a tall glass of lemonade. i stuck to my W30 compliant ice tea. and I enjoyed it!

M1: Too hot for sweet potatoes today. Sauteed chard with red onions and parsley (in coconut oil), two eggs fried in coconut oil, 1 small chicken apple sausage. Two wedges of cataloupe.Coffee + coconut cream.

M2: Big salad - shredded raw beet (1/2 large beet), shredded carrot, letttuce, cucumber, 1/2 avocado, another small c/a sausage, strawberries (I am clearly loving the whole salad + fruit combo) dressed with lime juice. Very refreshing.

M3: olives, macadamia nuts, shredded roasted chicken (snitched from dinner), 3 dates, more cucumbers

M4: Roasted chicken (rubbed with curry + chili powder + garam marsala + onion + salt = so. damn. good...the pan juices...gah!)...naturally it ended up in a salad again - cucumber, cold roasted cauli, mango, lime juice. more macadamia nuts and 3 more dates.

Felt really annoyed and short tempered today...but that could be the sleep deprivation, or the heat, or the 3 1/2 year old who is hell bent on being hell bent about everything (okay. tonight I gave her dinner - always a battle - apparently she learned from Pingu that when your parents tell you to eat your dinner, the smart thing to do is sneak off to the garbage and THROW AWAY PIECES OF IT all sneaky like and then make them *think* you ate your dinner. NOT COOL TV! Not cool!)...So yeah. it was that kind of day.

BUT on a positive note: I did put on a pair of shorts that I literally could not get into last year, that are too lose for wearing now! YAY!

Archived