One day at a time - Laura's first w30

baker-in-exile

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too hot for sweet potato? NEVER! Just eat it cold. I think mashed sweet potato actually tastes better cold than hot personally.

I'm tempted to stir in some coconut cream and cinnamon but then it would be like...sweet potato ice cream or pudding and isn't that kind of swypo? ;-) I made sweet potato patties this morning (s&p, mashed sweet potatoes, formed into patties, fried in clarified butter). So good. :-)

I'm tempted to stir in some coconut cream and cinnamon but then it would be like...sweet potato ice cream or pudding and isn't that kind of swypo? ;-) I made sweet potato patties this morning (s&p, mashed sweet potatoes, formed into patties, fried in clarified butter). So good. :-)

I don't think I would personally call that a swypo...but like I said I find it just fine with nothing added. I find it especially enjoyable after a run on a warm day. In fact I should bake some tonight so I can have it after my run tomorrow...it's going to be warm way up here in the NW too this weekend.

So over in the food section I asked yesterday about bulletproof coffee...this morning I didn't get to coffee until after meal 1 and I decided to give it a go since I had a fresh batch of clarified butter on hand. That may have been a mistake. :-)

So. DAY TEN!

Meal one: sweet potato patties, chicken apple sausage, asparagus spears sautéed in cb, two fried eggs.

Meal two and beyond: bulletproof coffee. Heres what happened. I took about 1tbsp cb + 1 tbsp coconut oil and whipped it up with 10 oz or so of fresh, fair trade organic coffee using my stick blender. it was more delicious than I expected. But I drank that around 11-12:00 and literally didn't give another thought to food until 6 or 7pm. Didn't eat lunch or a snack, which means I missed the boat on protein and veggies for meal 2. :-/

Meal 3: my oldest was clamoring for turkey burgers so my version was turkey burger (homemade and cooked in more cb; seasoned with onion powder, lemon pepper and himalayan salt), wrapped in lettuce with grilled onions, avocado and shredded carrots and jicama. A few olives and cornichons on the side. 1 date after dinner.

As far as progress goes...today was the first day where I felt like I could see myself eating like this long term at least most of the time, which is really good. I am loving how I feel now...I'm sure there are numerous factors in play here; but I feel truly vibrant right now.

I have run into several people over the last few days that I haven't seen since last summer (when I was very newly post-partum and eating poorly) and they have all said "wow, you look amazing!" and tbh, i have always had a really hard time accepting compliments graciously, but now I just say "thanks! I feel amazing." ;-)

Day 11

Meal 1: asparagus, onions, turkey sausage (homemade), one fried egg, 3 apple slices, bulletproof coffee.

Meal 2: Turkey burger with guacamole (minus the bun obviously ;-)), roasted beets, two strawberries, jicama, carrot and celery sticks and olives.

Meal 3: uh. On plan but I don't exactly remember? It involved olives and more veggie sticks. It was sort of a snack-y day.

Meal 4: turkey meatballs, mashed roasted sweet potato w/ coconut oil, big green salad with roasted beets, artichokes, carrots and cucumbers. 1/2 an apple plus some dates and coffee with coconut (up late working on a knitting project).

Kind of a meh day...not terrible. I was just hungry and felt like I snacked a lot and someone (ahem. Husband and children.) devoured my last bag of macadamia nuts. Im glad they're snacking on healthy food but annoyed they had them all. Boo.

Other than that still feeling pretty great. :-)

And, if anyone is reading...I would really love to hear about other peoples' HIIT WO routines. I am currently only walking once in awhile for "exercise" (hah) but I'm sort of interested in trying something new.

Day 12

Meal 1: green salad (red leaf lettuce, cucumbers, carrot, celery), mashed roasted sp, chicken thigh, fried egg, bp coffee

Meal 2: green salad, avocado, ground turkey taco meat, dates and macadamia nuts

Meal 3: banana because I was getting leg cramps, veggie sticks (fresh carrots, celery, jicama)

Meal 4: omg so good - BBQ chicken thighs with homemade, w30-compliant sauce, huge pile of sautéed asparagus spears, roasted beets, frozen mangoes.

So the baby hasn't been sleeping really at all for the last four or five nights and I am pretty much barely clinging to a fragile thread of sanity after today. No end in sight with her - I think she's getting like four teeth and once. ::::::torture::::::: so. Anyway. Basically, I am apparently driven to snack a lot under these conditions. It's a miracle I had any meals today that even remotely resembled the template. But I did.

Day twelve is done and hopefully at some point I will get some sleep and start rediscovering some of that awesomeness I was feeling a few days back.

Being tired like that pretty much drives you to snack constantly. Truth! I lived it for 18 months with my daughter. We tried all methods of getting her to sleep--even co-sleeping and on-demand all night nursing would still lead to her being wide awake and crying several times a night. (Finally the "sleep lady shuffle" was what helped us).

I totally understand what you mean about hanging on by a thread! And I can't imagine also being pregnant! It also makes you crave carbs--but you can have good carby veg and not eat a half of a box of sour cream flavored bunny crackers. :-/. You are doing great though! Hang in there. Remember a few days ago you said you could eat this way forever. :)

@beets: "sleep lady shuffle"? What is that?

Day 13 (yesterday) was fine. I'm continuing on my w30 but getting less anal about logging my food. The way I'm eating feels more habitual now so I'm not obsessing about it as much (= not writing down every little thing I eat).

My kids are sick now...which means more nights of sleep deprivation so yay.

Today is day 14, we're going to be home all day (sick) which is usually more difficult for me as I tend to snack when I'm home.

Need sleep but staying on track.

http://www.parentsconnect.com/parenting-your-kids/kids-sleeping/good-night-sleep-lady-shuffle.html

What was interesting was that my husband devised pretty much the same method as I was reading about this. I was also about to pay a "sleep consultant" hundreds of dollars because I was losing my mind and pretty much one second from breaking down all day every day. And then this worked.

Day 14 (yesterday) managed to stay on track. I will say that how I feel right now (sluggish, tired, hoping to never see another leaf of chard ever again) is how I expected to feel at the beginning. And then when i felt great in the beginning, I expected that right about now (the halfway point) I would feel that way...self-fulfilling prophecy??

I am a happy cheerful person mostly but underneath there's always my inner cynic, waiting for the other shoe to drop. ;-)

I am jazzed that today is day 15 and when I'm not hungry, I don't feel much pull from the idea of things like candy, baked goods, etc. But I have felt more cravings for that stuff recently and have to purposefully shy away from exposure to them (like me leaving the room last night when hubs was breaking into the salt water taffy).

I wrote it I top of my 30 day chart: "don't let anything turn you from your purpose." it's keeping me going. 15 down, 15 to go.

Day 16. Still kind of border but chugging along. To stay engaged I'm trying to formulate some goals for my next 14 days.

They are somewhere along the lines of:

- Eat fruit only once a day.

- be more intentional about eating meals instead of mindlessly snacking on w30-approved foods. Snacking for me is a decidedly unhealthy habit and I want to really work on retraining myself before reintroduction.

- work on unpacking my relationship with the scale. Try to divorce myself from feeling like I have not succeeded unless I can quantify my results with a number from the scale. I totally feel this way right now. My clothes are only slightly looser than they were when I started and I have been feeling kind of depressed...this morning it really hit me that if I stepped on the scale and saw that I was 7 lbs lighter, I would feel awesome, even though that number wouldn't change anything about how my body is right now....if that makes any sense.

My skin is more clear. I've never had gorgeous skin and I probably will always have awkward pores and blotchiness but it does look better than it has in awhile. That's nice.

I had not read ISWF leading into this challenge and I just picked it up from the library a few days ago. It seems like now is the perfect time to be reading it. Midway through when my resolve is weakening and I'm feeling uninspired - it's the perfect way for me to remember why I'm doing this and why I want to stay committed.

Today is Day 18. Still on track.

Lots of thoughts about food and body and the weird-and-slightly-disturbing things I'm discovering about my relationship to food. Like, for the last 17+ days I have been eating things that are all healthy for me. I'm not eating junk, I've been stuffing myself (within reason, of course ;-)) with nutritious, living, vibrant food. Yet, I still feel guilt about the food I eat. It's too much or too fatty or too much fruit or fill-in-the-blank....even when I'm eating ridiculously health-fully, my brain is searching for a reason to feel guilty. How messed up is that? I think that in that respect, I need a whole heckuva lot more than 30 days to unpack why I have such a demented relationship with food.

Other than that...I feel okay. SO tired of cooking all the damn time. Today's lunch is yummy - turkey taco meat with chili-lime cauli rice pilaf and avocado. But it's so much effort when my family is eating a totally different way. And especially at lunch when I'm playing short order cook, I end up making three or four different meals.

I am still oddly very motivated to make it through my 30 days though. For someone who has never been an overachiever, the idea that I wouldn't finish just 30 days of eating this way makes me mad. :-)

Day 21. Continuing to gut it out. So far this whole thing has not been the life changing revelation I was expecting. I feel but not radically different, I'm not miserable without the foods I'm not eating. I just don't feel "it" yet.

It's birthday week at my house - two birthdays in rapid succession. Last night I made vanilla bean cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting (kerrygold butter, organic grains etc). Didn't touch a lick of anything which is good...

Will be curious to see how reintro goes. Maybe things will change in the next 9 days and I'll feel the magic. That would be cool.

Day 22 - I feel worse now than I have since starting. My mouth is sore, my teeth are outrageously sensitive, my (previously very healthy) gums are inflamed and painful; my stomach is uneasy, I have had a bad headache for the last several days.

I've dramatically cut back my fruit intake, so I'm not od'ing on sugars. I'm not eating off plan at all. I'm being pretty careful to follow the template...

Giving up at this point is not an option because I'm determined to go the full 30 days but feeling this awful so late in the game is really discouraging.

In the last few days I've had 1 svg of fruit vs 3 but I've also been eating sweet potatoes at least once per day.

My meals haven't changed much from my logs the last few weeks. I'm eating basically the same stuff (eggs + green leafy + sp + fat + coffee for breakfast, usually salad + protein+ fat for lunch, protein + sp + fat + other veg for dinner, macadamia nuts for snacks).

I'm wondering if it's hormonal but I don't know...I haven't felt this crappy in awhile it's hard not suspect it's due to the dietary changes.

Personally I would try cutting the nuts out. I found early on that snacking on nuts made me kind of bloated and really they were a food with no breaks for me. I pretty much only use nuts in recipes now. How varied are our protein/veg selections?

I don't really go crazy with nuts. They don't really do it for me, but I keep them around because they're a good source of fat. I may cut them out based on what you and others have said re: intestinal irritation, but I'm not eating more than a svg or two per day.

Veggies are pretty varied - spinach, chard, kale, broccoli, cauli, beets, carrots, sp, onions, cukes, artichokes...

Protein not so much. Chicken and turkey...mostly dark meat, some breast if it's from roasted. For various personal reasons I don't eat fish, red meat or pork so my options are limited.

I feel a bit better this evening and I'm wondering if it had something to do with the sugar snap peas I had in my salad yesterday...I might try them again tomorrow and see what happens.

OK so I sort of dropped out of keeping up with this log, but that doesn't mean I dropped out of my own W30. I've been sticking to the plan. Today is...something crazy like Day 26 or 27. I feel basically the same as before. Fine but not AMAZING. Still waiting for the awesomeness to kick in, but observing my brain wander off the reservation to thoughts of "mmmmmm cake. bread. ice cream." I mean to stick with eating mostly this way for now...but we'll see. I need to see a dentist because I feel like this month of eating paleo has wrecked my teeth and gums. So sore and sensitive - which has never been a problem before.

Also. I had a dream the other night that I got my cholesterol checked after this challenge and it was 233 and in my dream I was like "WHAT NO! Everything I thought was true is WRONG! It's ALL WRONG." Which is clearly something I've been dealing with because part of me does feel like if I haven't lost a lot of weight, then what I believed before about my weight issues ("all I need to do is just buckle down and cut out sugar and carbs") was wrong. Not that my intellectual side actually full believes that...but it's in there somewhere. Annoying me.

Anyway. Home stretch now, can't stop with so much momentum pushing me to the finish. At least I can say "I cut out wheat, sugar, processed junk, etc for 30 days and survived-almost-thrived" It feels good to at least know I stuck with the goal I made for myself at the end of last month.

I didn't feel amazing at the end of mine either. It was a bit if a let down but I'm guessing I have a lot of gut damage to undo. I suspect I'm way more sensitive to gluten than I wanted to ever admit. And my psoriasis is a clue that my gut is significantly leaky.

I forget how you ate before but you also have three kids, right? And you are BFing? I think that takes a big toll on our bodies. I suspect mine doesn't do a great job processing nutrients.

You might want to stick it out for longer. Congrats anyway for getting this far. A little anti-climactic, I know. I never wrote up my post 30 "success story." I did feel a lot of benefits, but overall I still felt meh.

Archived