Friends Are Taking Me Out

Well, I'm a college student and some of my friends are driving 3 hours to my school to take me out to dinner in a nearby city because I've had a bit of a rough week. I didn't intentionally start a second Whole30 but I'm on Day 25. I wanted to stick with it for 30 days because I wanted to do proper reintroduction. They are taking me out to dinner tomorrow and it's a surprise where we are going. I sent them the guidelines to my diet and they said I will be able to eat meat and veg where we are going, but I'm not sure if they understand I have to watch out for sauces and oils. I don't want to make a big fuss out of it because they're doing something nice for me, but I really want to see the menu for the restaraunt. But it looks like that is not going to happen. Help me out?? What do I do? How do I make sure I stay compliant? I don't wanna be rude and just order water.. Chinese restaraunt? Italian restaraunt? My friends told me it was fine dining. So, I'm expecting I will be spending a bit of money. How do I order a steak and stay compliant? How do you order meat and veggies without sauces?

I actually find the nicer the restaurant the more the server knows and the more the server expects to get questions. You are pretty safe with a grilled piece of steak or fish. Prep the server by letting them know you have some dietary restrictions so you are going to ask a lot of questions. Be gentle and nice about the way you ask questions. Ask them precisely how the prepare what you have chosen to order including oils, butters, seasonings. Ask if anything that sounds sketchy can be left out for you. Same with the veggies. If when you receive your order you see things out of sorts just gently question and reinforce that you have dietary restrictions so it is important. Then enjoy your meal knowing you did everything you could and the rest is out of your control.

Archived