Mouth Blisters!!!

Crystal K.

I've been done with the Whole30 now for about 3 days, and (granted, I probably wasn't too wise about the whole "re-introduction" thing) now the inside of my mouth is FULL of painful blisters! Acne is back too.... Gosh I'm so angry at myself... Any one else with these issues, or any ideas what could be causing them?? Is it an allergic reaction, or is it my body just telling me I suck for eating crap again??

I did eat sugar.... :( and the ones on the inside of my lip are canker sores... Not sure about the ones on the roof of my mouth, since I can't see what they look like. (But I've never had canker sores on the roof of my mouth before.. Is that possible???)

My mom has blisters in the mouth when she was going through chemo and she used a rinse of water and hydrogen peroxide (half and half) and the blisters went away quickly and it helped relieve the pain.

My acne flared up too as soon as I completed my Whole 30. I'm pretty sure it was due to corn but it's tough to say with acne because it can take a day or two before I break out. (It could also be from almond flour since I used that in a recipe.) The good thing is with 4-5 days of eating Whole 30 approved foods my acne is gone again. I'm going to separate the two potential causes to try to figure it out.

Don't be too hard on yourself, just eat approved foods until you feel better and then reintroduce foods one at a time.

• 2 years later...

I am only on Day 3 and have tongue and mouth sores.  Ouch!  Makes it hard to enjoy this delicious food.  Husband and I are following the 7 day plan in the book for our first week.

Tongue and mouth sores can be a symptom of oral allergy syndrome. Are you eating anything new to you?

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I don't have the book with me at work but the "new for me" ingredients that come to mind are coconut milk, capers, and ghee. 

We also had a type of tuna day 0 we haven't had before...yellow something...yellowfin tuna?

Coconut is known to be problematic for some, causing skin outbreaks & all kinds of digestive issues, and whilst a fairly uncommon allergen it is of the tree nut family which is highly allergenic so you might want to ease off on that for a while and see if it helps.

Fish also comes high on the list of common allergens, but I'd suspect that if you've tolerated tuna previously it's unlikely that a different variety would cause problems.

I'd cut out the coconut first and see how you go.

I get terrible blisters on my tongue if I eat raw tomatoes... I think it's the acid in them... are you eating a lot of acidic foods?

there were tomatoes Sun and Mon for breakfast.  Then tomato sauce for dinner last night but sores were already there, and that isn't new.  I think I will start with the coconut milk theory.  Bummer since I do have dairy allergy and was very excited about being able to add "milk" back in.

woops, I didn't do that right.  How are you guys getting the "originating" post into your reply?

At the bottom right of the post you want to quote the word 'quote' is written in black - click on that and a reply box will open with the original post at the top.

I get blisters in my mouth like that from toothpaste especially the kind for sensitive teeth. I have to now use very natural, fluoride free versions and even then I react to certain ones.

wow, that is another "new" item I hadn't thought twice of.  New as in 6 - 7 weeks though...still...food for thought.

thanks to all for tips, I'll let you know how the coconut experiment works.  :)

Delighted to see this thread - also have mouth full of ulcers!! Really struggling to eat so the thought of a crunchy salad.........ouch!

Finished reinto on Saturday and guess not eating as much veg since then and also now back on wheat.

Could that be a reaction to it? Or just co-incidence? Anyone else had it on reintro?

All advice gratefully received!

• Moderators

Delighted to see this thread - also have mouth full of ulcers!! Really struggling to eat so the thought of a crunchy salad.........ouch!

Finished reinto on Saturday and guess not eating as much veg since then and also now back on wheat.

Could that be a reaction to it? Or just co-incidence? Anyone else had it on reintro?

All advice gratefully received!

Did you get the ulcers after reintroducing the wheat? It's not a reaction that most people report, but it certainly could be a reaction, either to the wheat itself, or if you had a commercially prepared bread or something, maybe some other additive in that?

For veggies (and all foods, really) go for soft foods -- mashed sweet potatoes or potatoes, scrambled eggs, broth.

Talk to your doctor or dentist if they don't seem to be healing -- they can probably give you better recommendations on how to treat them -- but in the meantime, try rinsing your mouth with a mix of: 1 cup warm water, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda, every few hours throughout the day, each time finishing with a rinse of plain water. I've heard of people using hydrogen peroxide as well, but the salt water mix seems less harsh to me. YMMV.

Thank you Shannon. I do get them when I'm run down but wouldn't expect after all that mega healthy eating! I'm wondering if it's wheat after a gap of 6 weeks and my family history. So taken myself off it and will see what happens. Thanks for the advice. Yep the peroxide sounded rather terrifying! And not something I have lying around.

I've been doing a bit of reading and apparently dental issues (tick) can cause them as well as food intolerance. Let's see what wheat free can do.

Have a good day

wow, that is another "new" item I hadn't thought twice of.  New as in 6 - 7 weeks though...still...food for thought.

thanks to all for tips, I'll let you know how the coconut experiment works.  :)

Well it turns out not to be coconut, yaay!  I had been to the dentist a few days prior, upon returning for an adjustment they did a mouth exam.  One was a "pizza burn"  (Day 0), another was trauma from the procedure they did, and a third was a tongue bite while still numb I guess.  Warm salt water rinses (full 1 tsp of salt to 6-8 oz) a couple of times a day has helped tremendously.  Also they gave me a numbing paste to dab on before eating that helped a lot too.  all healed up now except for the tongue bite. 

• 1 year later...

Is this what happens when you have an "aversion to food"??

I didn't fully complete the whole30, but had been very faithful to the program for 2 weeks straight.  I went out to dinner 4 days ago and had 3 glasses of wine ( I know..alot) and had a piece of a bread-y appetizer.  Needless to say - the next day I felt as if I had been run over by a mac-truck and I am still suffering issues like:

1) Itchy-break out on my chest & 2)  a persistent canker sore inside of my mouth!  ( have not had a canker sore in 10-15 yrs!)

Anyway, I have learned my lesson well - but really need to know, is this what a food aversion or allergy looks & feels like??  Knowing this will help me navigate after a completed Whole30.  Thank you for the help!

• Moderators

Aversion to food is usually a mental situation... like you have an aversion to pineapple because it was the last thing you ate before you got the flu and threw up for 3 straight days... it doesn't mean you're allergic or even sensitive.

A food sensitivity is something that comes before actual allergy on the allergy scale (were there to be such a thing).  Some people are sensitive to some foods in that they can eat a bit of something but too much will cause a reaction.

An allergy is an actual physical allergy to a food and I think they're more rare than people make them out to be... most of us are not 'allergic' to grains or dairy, rather our bodies are sensitive to them and react accordingly... 

I would gather that you're probably sensitive (or allergic) to sulfites in wine (the rash) and maybe the wheat... hard to say since you don't have the full 30 days under your belt and with eating two inflammatory off plan food groups, it's impossible to say which was the culprit but obviously there's something there to investigate.  I would recommend you go back to the beginning and do a full 30 days with a proper reintroduction so you know for sure.

Archived