Sugar.In.Everything! So Frustrated

I started the Whole30 five days ago after being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. 15+ years of misery finally has a name but no fix. So, the Whole30 is my only option. I've always thought I've eaten pretty healthy until I read ISWF..... Mind.Blown.

I've been reading labels religiously. Everything has sugar. Or soy. Everytime I see another label with one or the other I think, "What in the world am I supposed to eat?!" You know, besides locally grown fruits, veggies, and eggs.. Even meat from the local "organic/natural" market has strange things added to them. I've gotten to the point where I'm just angry at the world but I suppose it's partially the, KILL ALL THE THINGS stage..

Is it even possible to eat out?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this because frankly, if the Whole30 works in helping alleviate my FMS symptoms, then I want it to be doing a Whole365. I'm tired of feeling miserable and I've done almost everything I can possibly do.

I guess I know there are options.. I'm just annoyed with the junk these ninjas are putting into our food.

I'll continue to look for a local butcher I can actually trust or I'll order from US Wellness..

End rant. Thanks for listening.

I know how you feel. It takes a lot of label reading but there are plenty of good finds out there. There are some link sausages, ground italian sausage, and even hot dogs that are compliant. Personally I'm not picky about the sourcing for beef/chicken/etc, but I know a lot of people are and I'm sure that's very frustrating. There are so many fantastic recipes that you can make that are compliant...there's tons of stuff you can eat!

Also it is definitely possible to eat out, you just have to do some research ahead of time, and possibly call the restaurant for more info. Check out the other forums, there's one where a lot of people post questions or info about specific restaurant chains.

Good luck! I hope this works for you. My mom has fibromyalgia and has been eating mostly paleo for awhile now. She's been able to get off most of her meds and feels SO much better.

After a little while you get used to making meals from real ingredients, have lots of favourites to choose from and prefer to eat your own delicious home cooked meals but do know what to look or ask for when you go out. The kill all things stage passes but the incredularity with the rubbish manufacturers put in 'food' doesn't!

Oh please do rant about "ingredients" out there in EVERYthing. I get ultra-annoyed when the added ingredients are so pointless. Why use yellow food coloring in pickles where there's turmeric for cryin out loud? I've become a "made-from-organic-scratch" snob. When someone suggested to me that if they make a cake out of a box at home than it's homemade, I 'bout had fit. (A graceful internal one, but a fit nonetheless.) Rant away. The American food industry is just plain gross.

If you're not avoiding nightshades, you can eat at Chipotle: carnitas bowl with lettuce, guac, and salsa. So delish it's worth a specific mention. But Juzbo is right; your own food will become way more desireable than almost all restaurant fare. Even the best of chefs would improve their skill and creativity on the Whole30.

I'm impressed with your mention of a potential Whole365; you certainly are determined to get well! :)

Our diet has barely changed since it ended and we're perfectly content, so it's not even a big deal.

I noticed on a different post that people were eating Sunbutter, but when I looked at it today it has sugar (I think cane) but still I thought whole 30 was supposed to be no sugar? I bought the organic brand of sunflower seed butter w/no added sugar or salt. My main reason for asking is that the Sunbutter brand was way less expensive and if it is Whole30 then I will just buy it next time.

I noticed on a different post that people were eating Sunbutter, but when I looked at it today it has sugar (I think cane) but still I thought whole 30 was supposed to be no sugar? I bought the organic brand of sunflower seed butter w/no added sugar or salt. My main reason for asking is that the Sunbutter brand was way less expensive and if it is Whole30 then I will just buy it next time.

The Sunbutter at regular grocery stores has sugar. Sunbutter sold at health food stores does not. At least that's how it goes in my area. Delightful, ain't it? The labels are exactly the same, but the ingredients lists are not.

I've always thought I've eaten pretty healthy until I read ISWF..... Mind.Blown.

I've been reading labels religiously. Everything has sugar. Or soy. Everytime I see another label with one or the other I think, "What in the world am I supposed to eat?!" You know, besides locally grown fruits, veggies, and eggs.. Even meat from the local "organic/natural" market has strange things added to them. I've gotten to the point where I'm just angry at the world but I suppose it's partially the, KILL ALL THE THINGS stage..

I went through a similar frustration earlier this year. For most of my life, I have been reading labels for nutritional information, but ISWF really turned my thinking around and I was UTTERLY SHOCKED at what was going on in the ingredients list of seemingly nutritious/organic/natural/super-special items in the supermarket. The "food ninjas" are pretty crafty people.

Soon enough though, you will figure out the foods that are available to you that you enjoy, and the frustration will pass. Good luck on your journey!

I seem to have forgotten I posted this lol Thanks for the comments!

The rage is gone and I'm now on Day 11 still alive and well. I grew up on PBJ's and kraft mac-n-cheese [great parent's right?] so cooking is still something I really struggle with. So far, I think the Whole30 has helped me gain confidence in the kitchen but I have also noticed less FMS pain which is huge. After every successful meal eaten and after every grocery trip, I feel more confident that this is a lifestyle I can maintain forever. Oh and I found a local farm that has any kind of meat/veggie I need, all pastured, organic, sugar/additive free. They offer a meal share so I'll get a weekly delivery of almost everything I need, eggs and butter included. No more grocery outrages about sneaky food ninjas :]

I've been scouring the forum for restaurant advice and while it seems daunting, I guess it is possible. I don't think I'll try eating out anytime soon though.. At least not until I finish the 30 days and the reintroduction phase. I want to at least know which foods are especially important to stay away from even though I don't plan on eating any of them at all.

Archived