Struggling in between meals

Jensch

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice. I'm now on day 5 of paleo and find myself hungry between meals, so I have been adding snacks between meals. For years i have eaten 5 times a day, so maybe my body is used to it. Here is a sample of a typical day. Please critique it and if you have any suggestions as to how I can avoid getting hungry, please please share ;)

7am Breakfast- 2 eggs cooked with coconut oil, 2 slices bacon, 1 cup sliced strawberries, 1 cup coffee w/coconut milk

1030am Snack- dried cranberries & raisins mixed with nuts & seeds

1230 Lunch- very small sweet potato, roasted chicken breast, thigh and tiny drumstick

330pm snack-3 egg whites, 1/2 cup strawberries

715pm dinner- roasted chicken, cranberry sauce(paleo safe), spinach and 2 griddle cakes made w/2 eggs and 2 tbsp almond flour, coconut oil.

Unfortunately another snack 845pm-nuts, seeds & dried fruit mix

Please help me change this so I'm not hungry and thinking about my next meal. I've always had a very unhealthy relationship with food. I would consider myself a food addict :( I'm not overweight and very active. I workout everyday(weights & cardio).

Thanks!

Have you read the meal template? How about recommendations for post and pre-workout meals?

Where are the vegetables?? I have 2-3 cups at every single meal. If I add a sweet potato, that's just extra. I also don't see any fat added to your lunch in this example. It looks like you're eating plenty of protein, but adding lots of vegetables and maybe a little more fat could help you stay full longer.

Some people eat 4 or even 5 meals for awhile, and gradually work down to 3. That would be better than eating so many nuts/seeds/dried fruit. Many of us really limit those. I don't keep any in the house at all, because they are WAY too easy to overeat.

Hello and welcome!

I am with JJB in recommending you check out the meal template. Eggs, for example, to be a proper serving you should eat as many eggs as can fit into your hand. Whilst in the shell, of course :).

You may also want to eat something other than chicken; beef or lamb, for example, may be more satiating for you.

Add in the veggies - LOTS!

And finally - a griddle cake would be considered SWYPO (sex with your pants on) and should not be included as part of your whole30.

Snacks may just be a habit for you, and one you are clearly looking to break. If you are really hungry, a "snack" should be a minimeal, comprised of all of the same elements as the template calls for a meal.

Great! Thanks so much for the replies.

1-I will cut out the nuts and seeds. I too have an issue with portion control when it comes to those. Done with them! :)

2- I will add more veggies to my meals

3- no more SWYPO. Lol

4- I will work harder to fit in my pre & post w/o meals. So for example:

1-breakfast

2-lunch

3-pre w/o meal

(Workout)

4-post w/o << can this be my dinner instead?

Does anyone know the true "scientifically proven" reason why we should only eat 3 meals a day unless active. When the body adjusts to only eating 3 times a day, is your metabolism slowing down? This scares me. I have a slightly damaged metabolism from Fitness competition prep and need to repair it. Is this going to do more harm than good?

It is hard in the beginning for two reasons. 1) Your body is used to running on sugar and therefore needing to be refueled every couple hours. 2) Habits.

The first thing will sort itself out after a few days or more if you stick with the meal template. Eating plenty of fat helps speed this along. But you have to work on the second. Is your snacking triggered by hunger or habit? In the book or emails it's suggested to figure out if your hungry enough to eat a whole fish. If not, you aren't hungry. If you are hungry, try to stick with a mini meal that follows the template. (Protein + veg + fat.)

I have the template printed and stuck to my fridge, which I have found to be very helpful: http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

It is hard in the beginning for two reasons. 1) Your body is used to running on sugar and therefore needing to be refueled every couple hours. 2) Habits.

The first thing will sort itself out after a few days or more if you stick with the meal template. Eating plenty of fat helps speed this along. But you have to work on the second. Is your snacking triggered by hunger or habit? In the book or emails it's suggested to figure out if your hungry enough to eat a whole fish. If not, you aren't hungry. If you are hungry, try to stick with a mini meal that follows the template. (Protein + veg + fat.)

I have the template printed and stuck to my fridge, which I have found to be very helpful: http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

True, very true. I'll ask myself that question when I feel hungry. Great info! Thanks so much!

what stood out for me was the lack of fat - no meals have a good healthy dose! you need veggies! but the fat will help you remain full longer...try adding some fat and see if that helps!

I forgot to add that the chicken I had a lunch had all the skin left on it, so no needed extra fat there right? Also, my silly SWYPO griddle cakes were cooked in lots of coconut oil. Throughout the day I have full fat coconut milk in my coffee :)

Is this enough fats for the day along with the rest of the stuff I ate?

If you're still hungry, it may not be enough fat. Don't be afraid of eating fat! Personally I don't typically count whatever's in my meat. I always put olive oil on my veggies, and often have olives with my meal too. Lots of the casseroles/stews I make do include coconut oil, so I'll usually count that.

I'm not educated enough on metabolism to respond directly to that question, but as Beets said, when we're running on sugar we do need to eat every few hours. Once you're fat-adapted, you will get to the point where you can go 5-6 hours without a meal, and even longer when necessary. Even when you do get hungry it will feel a bit different than when you were a sugar-burner. The term "hangry" is thrown about a lot...that's hungry + angry! I haven't felt that way once since I started eating this way, and I used to feel it daily.

I would say don't worry about metabolism/gaining weight/whatever. If you can just focus on eating the right foods and learning to listen to the signals your body is giving you, it might all work itself out. I felt like I was eating so much during my W30 (too many nuts + coconut flakes too), and I did not gain a pound.

I forgot to add that the chicken I had a lunch had all the skin left on it, so no needed extra fat there right? Also, my silly SWYPO griddle cakes were cooked in lots of coconut oil. Throughout the day I have full fat coconut milk in my coffee :)

Is this enough fats for the day along with the rest of the stuff I ate?

I wouldn't count chicken skin as your 'template fat'. 1-2 thumbs (tablespoons) of olive oil, coconut oil, coconut butter (or occassionally nut butter), or 1/2 an avocado would be beneficial to helping you feel full.

Also, personally I need to make sure I have a big breakfast and that sets me on the right foot for feeling less hungry all day. I have learned that having 1/2 baked yam with my breakfast (usually eggs, or compliant chicken sausage) with veggies and fat makes the best first meal.

Keep playing around...you'll figure it out!

If you're still hungry, it may not be enough fat. Don't be afraid of eating fat! Personally I don't typically count whatever's in my meat. I always put olive oil on my veggies, and often have olives with my meal too. Lots of the casseroles/stews I make do include coconut oil, so I'll usually count that.

I'm not educated enough on metabolism to respond directly to that question, but as Beets said, when we're running on sugar we do need to eat every few hours. Once you're fat-adapted, you will get to the point where you can go 5-6 hours without a meal, and even longer when necessary. Even when you do get hungry it will feel a bit different than when you were a sugar-burner. The term "hangry" is thrown about a lot...that's hungry + angry! I haven't felt that way once since I started eating this way, and I used to feel it daily.

I would say don't worry about metabolism/gaining weight/whatever. If you can just focus on eating the right foods and learning to listen to the signals your body is giving you, it might all work itself out. I felt like I was eating so much during my W30 (too many nuts + coconut flakes too), and I did not gain a pound.

Wow! Thanks so much. That's actually quite comforting to hear. I'll definitely start adding more fat in. Today has been great so far so I'm thinking things are going to work themselves out. :) yay!

Okay, I'm hoping I have this figured out now. let me know what you all think. I'll brace myself for your honesty. lol

7am Breakfast-2 eggs, 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 banana, coffee w/coconut milk

12 lunch- 1 piece of coconut crusted tilapia,tiny bit of leftover chicken, Brussel sprouts & carrots, cranberry sauce(paleo safe), 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut oil & cinnamon

*Weight training workout*

3pm apple, 2 eggs, 1tbsp almond butter

30 min trail run

6pm banana & almond butter

7pm dinner- 1/4 chicken, cranberry sauce, 1/2 sweet potato cooked in coconut oil, Brussel sprouts & broccoli

You are getting closer! There is no need to eat egg whites, though. If you have egg whites to use up, save them to use as a binder in recipes. Otherwise, eat the whole egg!

Also, you have a lot of fruit at breakfast, but no veggies. Remember not to let fruit push veggies off of your plate. The fat/protein/veg combo is all part of feeling satisfied.

In my opinion that looks really great except it is a little fruit-heavy. 2 bananas a day sounds like a lot. You probably don't want to do that every day. Personally I like to make breakfast bigger. More protein and of course, add some vegetables. Like Nico said, egg whites are really not necessary. I would just eat 3-4 whole eggs.

Archived