I made "Bacon"!!

kimberj

So for breakfast yesterday I had a hankering for bacon with my eggs. Looked in my fridge for a suitable tastebud replacement, and spied the prosciutto. Found it at the grocery store deli section; the ingredients are ham and salt. Win!

I spread it on a cookie sheet, popped it in the oven at 350. Checked and moved it around several times, and about 10 minutes later I had scrunchy, salty, hot bacon-ish type meat to eat with eggs. My 5 year old loved it too.

Today I took a cpl pieces and put it in the microwave in a napkin, 1.5 minutes on high, move around and wipe off fat, another 2 minutes ish again, and VERY hot crunchy bacon replacement. I am so happy! It's really delicious and easy and cheap(er) than trying to find compliant real bacon. It was crunchy enough I could have crumbled it up for salads etc. Just wanted to share!!

Looked in my fridge for a suitable tastebud replacement, and spied the prosciutto. Found it at the grocery store deli section; the ingredients are ham and salt. Win!

Thanks! I just put prosciutto on my Whole Foods grocery list. I'd love to find something flavorful like that for a bit of fat/protein for salads as well.

Archived