Tiptoeing around tomatoes

Physibeth

So after getting massive heartburn from the delicious Chocolate Chili I made Monday and then having mild heartburn after eating a salad with tomatoes on it last night I'm starting to suspect I might be sensitive to tomatoes. I already knew that I was massively sensitive to bell peppers so I always avoid those in recipes. However tomatoes are in so many awesome recipes. Are there any good substitutions to make for tomatoes in cooking? I'm considering trying squash or sweet potatoes. Any other ideas?

Do sensitivities to nightshades get better as your gut heals? I've never been a huge tomato fan in raw form but I do enjoy a nice sauce or in other cooked forms. I don't always seem to react to them either.

I'm subbing this thread. I've begun to suspect I'm sensitive to nightshades and/or eggs. My psoriasis didnt start to heal up till I started leaving them out. It could be a lag from food to skin, but yesterday I had some tomato and immediately the psoriasis on my legs started to tingle. :(>

I'll be really bummed out if I can't eat them forever so I'm hoping someone says you can eat them occasionally after healing. Fingers crossed.

I've seen, for ex, chili made with pumpkin but I'm not a huge squash person and that does not appeal.

Archived