Kara's Summer of Whole30

karacooks

Since it's brutally hot outside, I decided to take today to purge my pantry of all non-compliant foods. I have set aside what we'll use for July 4th (potatoes, brown sugar, ketchup, etc.) and the rest is going into bags in the hall closet until the 30 days is done.

Here's the result:

whole30_1.jpg

whole30_2.jpg

It was kind of a shock to see the empty pantry after. :)

Most of what I eat is beans (all kinds), grains (everything from brown rice to bulger wheat), pasta, and legumes. So when you get rid of all of those, plus the flour and sugar and various baking ingredients that won't get used ... there's not much left.

What I wound up with were a lot of canned tomatoes (diced, rotel, paste, etc), a lot of spices, some canned tuna and salmon, olive oil and various vinegars, and 3 kinds of sea salt. :)

Put a bunch of dairy in the freezer this morning, to keep until after the Whole30 (I just bought 4 large containers of Greek yogurt before I decided to do this plan). I was trying to decide what to do with the butter, so I froze half and used the other half ot make clarified butter/ghee. I've never done it before ... that was far easier than I thought it would be, an fun! :) Now I have a half quart of ghee to cook with. Might be time to investigate some Indian style dishes.

So the last couple of days I've been preparing for my Whole30 start on the 5th. Yesterday I ate mostly to the plan, although I did have hummus with my lunch and a spoonful of Nutella as a treat. Mostly what I'm doing is getting rid of stuff that I know will be a temptation. We've planned our 4th of July cookout which includes using up the last of the potatoes to make potato salad, and putting the last of the brown sugar into the rub for the ribs.

I've put together a shopping list for the next couple of weeks and I need to head to Costco and pick up some things like salmon and pork loin. I thought about going this afternoon but I'm not sure I want to brave Costco on the day before the 4th of July!!

Had the best breakfast this morning. I microwaved a sweet potato until it was just tender, then sliced it in thick rounds and pan fried it in some olive oil. Topped that with two fried eggs. Salt and pepper over all. Yummy.

Had the best breakfast this morning. I microwaved a sweet potato until it was just tender, then sliced it in thick rounds and pan fried it in some olive oil. Topped that with two fried eggs. Salt and pepper over all. Yummy.

Sounds good! So how long do you microwave it for and I'm assuming you peel if before microwaving do you?

SummerGirl - I did peel before microwaving, becuase I wasn't sure how the peels would do in the 'wave. I microwaved a medium sized potato for 2 mins and it was just fork tender. Then I sliced it into pretty thick wedges - maybe a little less than 1/4" thick? And fried them in coconut oil (not olive as I wrote by mistake) until browned. Soooo yummy. They were crispy on the outside and tender and soft on the inside.

Day 1 begins today. I revisited my sweet potato and fried egg breakfast this morning. Also had coffee with coconut cream in it. Pretty good.

I have a lot of fruit left over from yesterday to snack on. I'm planning a spinach salad for lunch. I usually put smoked salmon on my salad, but my favorite brand of smoked salmon (Echo Falls) has sugar in it. I have a big pretty filet in the freezer that I picked up on sale and I'm thinking about smoking it myself this weekend. I have a bag of hickory chips and lots of spices. I think if I smoked the whole filet, I could get 4 or 5 servings for salads out of it.

Dinner will be mexican chicken breasts. I have 4 jalapenos just ready to be picked, plus a ton of tomatoes. Add some cilantro, some lime juice, and some cumin and I'll be good to go. I just need to figure out veggies with this one. Maybe some big grilled zucchini planks with the chicken marinade on them? Hm. Yeah, that sounds pretty good.

I'm not as prepared as I thought. I am STARVING and I'm at least an hour away from dinner, even if I start cooking right this minute.

I had lunch, but obviously not enough protein. I did get in a good bit of fat from an olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing I made, so there's that. But until I figure out how the diet affects my appetite, I need to make sure to have something I can snack on other than fruit lying around. I should have had some grilled chicken breasts or boiled eggs or something handy for the afternoon.

Tomorrow will be better. I'll be grilling a bunch of chicken tonight, which will be good for snacks as well as meals. Plus I'll bake/boil another 18 eggs tonight.

I'm so used to begin able to grab a piece of cheese or some cottage cheese or yogurt if I'm feeling hungry, and that threw me for a loop today.

Now I'm going to go slice zucchini for the grill!

Oh definitely you can eat the skin. Most of the time I eat the skins on my sweet potatoes. I just don't like they way they get when they've been microwaved. If I were baking it in the oven or frying it w/out nuking it first, I'd have kept the skin on.

Breakfast this morning: eggs fried in avocado rings. Very very very yummy. The only "problem" such as it was is that my avocados were small and my eggs were large - so they didn't sit prettily in the rings, but sort of spilled out an over. No matter - the flavor was divine and the cooked avocado was incredibly creamy and rich.

Yum.

Holy WOW dinner. Wow wow wow.

Shrimp sauteed in ghee and about 6 cloves of crushed garlic. Then add in some Thai red curry paste and 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Simmer it down until thick. Pour over lightly steamed broccoli. Serve with a side of diced mango to cut the heat.

Damn. This is good.

Holy WOW dinner. Wow wow wow.

Shrimp sauteed in ghee and about 6 cloves of crushed garlic. Then add in some Thai red curry paste and 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Simmer it down until thick. Pour over lightly steamed broccoli. Serve with a side of diced mango to cut the heat.

Damn. This is good.

Yum! This sounds great!!

Wound up sleeping in this morning and woke headachey and still a bit tired. I guess I"m in the right stage on Day 3 here, huh?

Had iced coffee w/ coconut milk and an apple for breakfast. I know I need protein but I just couldn't face food with my head hurting.

Went and got my toes done, did some grocery shopping, and now I have a big pot of ground beef on the stove for my homemade chili.Yes, I realize it's 97 deg out, but this is filling and healthy and will keep in the fridge or freezer ... which means I can grab a bowl for breakfast or lunch.

I also got some fresh ground almond butter at Harry's (Whole Foods) that I'll be putting into my morning smoothies, I think.

That's about all for now.

Archived