Difwiz's 2nd Whole30

difwiz

I am so happy to say that I am starting my second whole30 tomorrow. I did my first Whole30 on January 1 and after it ended, even though I had intentions of continuing it after only a short break, I never got back on track. I hopped on and off Paleo several times, but it never stuck for much longer than a week. There just wasn't that commitment of a certain time period I guess.

So, tomorrow is Day 1. My cousin won't do a Whole30 with me...she won't even give up the scale for 30 days...she says, and I quote, "I need my scale like Snoop Dogg needs weed" but she has agreed to give up something, and she thinks it will be chocolate. I wasn't expecting her to actually do a whole30 with me, but I really hope she sticks to the whole no chocolate thing. I really need to have someone who is also "giving up" for 30 days to go through it with me, even if it is a lot less extreme.

Yesterday was my Day 1 of my 2nd Whole30. I lost track of everything I ate because I felt constantly hungry. It was all Whole30 food, but it felt like a lot. I am going to try to eat less today, but if I am still feeling constantly hungry, I can't guarantee anything. I weighed in at a number that I am not proud of.

I have up ticked a little in the past week or so and I am so sad that I can't seem to break free from this ten pound cycle I seem to be on. I have so far to go and I think if I am able to escape from the current cycle I am on, I will have hope of getting to my goal.

We ran out of eggs yesterday when I made paleo meatballs. We have been eating eggs a lot and I have come to rely on them for so many meals that I feel lost without them. We don't have any room in the budget to run out and get more before May 1 so we will have to make do with the other things we have until then. Which is ..... I have no idea.

One thing we struggle with is arriving home (or waking up) and being hungry and not knowing what to eat and not having the patience to cook anything - even if it is just minimal prep like whirring a can of diced tomatoes in the blender to make a sauce and then heating it to make a sauce. That was our discussion last night. I had made the meatballs and roasted some broccoli and offered the sauce option to my husband but he was against doing anything that made him wait longer than the 2 minutes it took to zap the food in the microwave. So we ended p mixing some homemade mayo, mustard, and tomato paste together for a sort of pseudo-sauce.

I know that prep of the pieces of the meal is recommended on the Whole30 plan, but when you don't have the pieces to prep, you can't prep.

Which leaves me wondering...what the heck am I going to have for breakfast?

I finally decided that breakfast would be a combo of higher fat items, protein, and some fruit. I thought I had enough fat early in the day yesterday, but I am going to try this to see if it help me get through the day without eating everything in sight.

Breakfast: 1" thick round of U.S. Wellness Meats grass fed liverwurst, cubed with a little mustard, 7 medium olives, leftover avocado mayo, a cubed apple, and a small handful each of macadamias and cashews.

The U.S. Wellness Meats grass fed liverwurst is the only way I can seem to get organ meats down and I like this stuff so much I can eat it plain, but opted for a little bit of mustard for some variety. I have literally eaten this stuff with a spoon before...right out of the roll!!!!

Lunch was nonexistent. I had a trunk show (I am a Stella &Dot Independent Stylist) and I didn't have lunch before I went. I had a few veggies and 1/2 of a strawberry from the tray my hostess put out, but but that didn't go very far to guard against the pan of brownies that were sitting on the stove, right next to the place I was set up to collect orders. There wasn't anywhere else to set up (small house and tables were all occupied) so I had to steel myself against the brownies. It was a real test of my resolve. And then there were the ham and cheese filled croissants. OMG.

If I had been on day 25 this would have been a breeze. I mean, starting over from day 2 is a lot easier than having to start over from day 25. I didn't cave though. I just got back home now and am contemplating dinner, but I am SO HUNGRY that I think I will have to have some olives and nuts while I decide.

I really do think eating the fatty foods early in the day helped me get through not having lunch and facing those brownies. And. They. Smelled. GOOD!!!! If I hadn't had such a satisfying breakfast, I think I would have had at least a nibble...and then gone completely off track with cheese fries for dinner...but I didn't. Thank goodness for liverwurst and olives and stuff. I actually was daydreaming about the liverwurst while I was driving home from the trunk show. It is THAT good.

Day 2: Last night's dinner ended up being burger lettuce cups. I sautéed some grass fed ground beef with some garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Then I put a little tomato paste in each of 4 beautiful Boston Lettuce cups from gorgeous head I got from the farmer's market last week, the a little mustard and some homemade mayo. Then I scooped the ground beef into the cups. It was divine. It was so pretty too! I think this meal will have to be repeated.

Day 3: I woke up late and didn't have time to take a shower (I took one late yesterday, so it is ok-ish) much less make breakfast. I threw some random things into a bag as I rushed out the door, so I hope it will be enough to get me to lunch. I did manage to grab a can of coconut milk so if I choose to take a chance with the disgusting coffee at work, I will at least have an approved creamer.

So I ended up having some of the coffee which wasn't so horrid with the addition of the coconut milk. I am considering getting a keurig so I can just make a single serving of coffee at home (DH does not like coffee).

My breakfast was some liverwurst, the rest of the can of olives I have been eating on, and some cashews (and the coffee). It was pretty good.

I didn't have lunch because I had a dentist appointment at 1:00 and by the time I got back to the office, it was 3:30 and I just got swept away by some work stuff and now it is 5:00 and I just shut down my work computer and I am sitting at my desk typing this entry up on my iPad and I am SO hungry.

The end of the month sucks. I need to budget better for May. We did spend a lot of money eating out though during April, so while on the Whole30, I don't think we will have so much of that except for a long weekend we will be spending in New York.

I really need to plan our meals better too. We have a habit of buying a whole bunch of good food and then letting it go to waste in the fridge because we are too tired to prepare it or we prepare parts and then have good intentions of making it into something or freezing it, or freezing individual portions of the finished product, but we never actually do and then a lot of food goes to waste.

I recently got a new recipe management app called Paprika. I used it a little to get used to it, but I haven't been in there lately. I think I should really put some effort into getting our recipes in there so I can use it to help cut down on waste and the inevitable question of "what's for dinner?"

Like tonight, I am super hungry, but nothing is close to being prepared. And I am tired. And my back is aching. And I am really good at coming up with excuses.

Yay!!!!!! I found a red and a green pepper in the fridge (behind some chicken thighs that should have been thrown away over a week ago) and along with an onion and a can of diced tomatoes and some ground beef, I have the makings of Whole30 Chili!!!! I love this chili. If you haven't made it, it is one of the recipes that you can make with the master meat recipe in the back if the ISWF book. Yum.

I was just sitting at my computer and the screen saver is on and it is a slide show of all of our pictures and one came up that I guess I took a while ago of one of those signs above the aisles at a supermarket that says what is in each aisle. This particular one had a pre-printed insert for spray cheese. REALLY?!?!?!? SPRAY CHEESE? I can't believe spray cheese warrants its own category on the sign.

I was just sitting at my computer and the screen saver is on and it is a slide show of all of our pictures and one came up that I guess I took a while ago of one of those signs above the aisles at a supermarket that says what is in each aisle. This particular one had a pre-printed insert for spray cheese. REALLY?!?!?!? SPRAY CHEESE? I can't believe spray cheese warrants its own category on the sign.

The regional manager of the store must have gotten sick of all the letters from customers asking where the damn spray cheese is! Ha. Wow. In all seriousness, that is alarming.

Archived