A few Kombucha questions

I posted this as a comment on another Kombucha tread bit the thought maybe I should start a new thread.

On my 3rd W30 and had heard of Kombucha many times before but never gave it much thought since I hadn't seen it on the shelves. 2 days ago I must have been looking in the right place because I stumbled upon it and thought "oh this I know is "approved" I should try it!"

I have couple questions though

1. Do most drink a bottle in one day or divide it up over 2-3 days?

2. And TMI coming....while my stomach feels less bloated with this new found drink, I noticed my stools are much looser...eww...sorry! Normal?

3. How much caffeine is in a bottle compared to a cup coffee?

Thanks

• Moderators

I drink a whole bottle every day. Many people divide a bottle and drink it over 2 or even 3 days.

I had some diarrhea for 3 to 5 days after I started drinking kombucha and then my body adjusted. It does not cause me any problems now.

I don't know how much caffeine it has relative to coffee.

I make my own and it is totally the best science experiment ever. There is very little caffein left after the fermentation process. I forget the % but I am very sensitive to caffein (can't have it after 2pm or I can't sleep) and I can drink booch right before bedtime.

I'd imagine the caffiene is going to vary from brand to brand/product to product since different kinds of tea can be used as the "tea" part of the drink... (I know the yeast/bacteria can eat some of the caffiene but I couldn't tell you how much). Could be wrong about the commercial stuff, but I know we used to make it at home from all kinds of teas. I imagine the alchol vs acetic acid content varies greatly as well, and sometimes the fermentation is halted with temperature or sulphites to leave the tea a little sweat/stop it from exploding on the shelves.

Interesting! So how is this stuff made anyways?

I bought that GT brand

Basically it's just any kind of tea you want, plus sugar. Let cool, add starter culture and it grows this whacky leathery colony at the top of the liquid while it ferments. Starter cultures can be bought, or just dump in unpasteurized kombucha - but a person has to have some idea what they're doing with sugar amounts added, as the culture is both yeast and acetobacter too much sugar will end up creating either too much alcohol, too much vinegar, both - or a bottle bomb if put into a sealed container before fermentation is finished (bottle bombs can be HIGHLY dangerous if in glass). BUT if following directions found easily online it's a nice safe thing to do, I'd just recommend against bottling in glass for anyone who doesn't have fermentation experience - plastic is safe, worst you're going to get is a mess if it blows up.

JPJackie - most of the GT Dave's flavors are fine, as they are fermented (again) with fruit juice for that added flavor. Just watch the sugar content, because some of them are pretty sweet (guava has, like 12g of sugar per serving I think). Those flavors with gobs of sugar aren't technically "non-compliant" but they aren't your best choice.

I recently started making kombucha, and it is so much fun! And I am experimenting with all manner of diff flavorings... So far, I think I like using fresh fruit as a second fermentation, the best... I'm still working with it to figure out what flavors go well with it. So exotic! Lol

Oh, and it's not a big time commitment. A few hours per week, at most.

Archived