Iceberg Lettuce

Jen13

Hi, a friend of mine that is a health nut told me iceberg lettuce was not good for you to go with the greener leafs. Since I dont see it in the shopping list as an approved item I wanted to make sure. This is only my 5th day on the whole30 and Im struggling with the vegetables. Never been a veggie lover.

Any ideas?

Yeah, I love iceberg. It's crunchy and lightens up heavier lettuces. I like to add it to salads and put ground meat on a bed of it. You're doing the right thing by using what you like.

I don't think many people truly love veggies over other foods. Try a lot of cooked veggies finely chopped. You can add them to soups or ground meat.

I love veggies!! Sometimes you just have to push through and you'll eventually get used to them. I used to think I couldn't eat broccoli or cauliflower unless they were drowning in cheese or butter, I wouldn't touch asparagus, and I could only eat zucchini if it was mixed with other vegetables. Now I love all 3 plain with just a little olive oil. It won't happen overnight...I suppose it took me a couple of years to really get to where I enjoyed them like I do now (I used to never eat fresh veggies).

I highly recommend cauliflower "rice" or mash; the rice can be mixed in with a ton of foods and you probably won't even notice it, and the mash has a close enough taste/texture to mashed potatoes that might *almost* fool you!

I had a gag reflex whenever I ate or even smelled broccoli till I was in my twenties. Embarrassing but true. (I still gag when I eat zucchini or squash. Sssh.)

I really have had to make myself to eat more veggies over the years. I picked this screen name on another site after I made myself a beet slaw and loved it, so I could remind myself that I can actually enjoy eating a healthful food. True story.

The thing that put me (and many others) into the veg enjoying camp is roasted veg: toss in fat and salt and roast on 425 for 12-15 mins. Veggies are crispy and delicious. And easy! Before I started roasting veggies like this I only liked most of them stir-fried or drowned in sauce. (Though I've always liked salad, cabbage and raw peppers.)

Try especially brussels sprouts, broccoli and asparagus like this. The first time I cooked sprouts like this I ate an entire pound standing at the counter. The outer sprout leaves make little chip-like things that are amazing.

Archived