Running fitness going backwards – Help!

Catrunning

Please, Please, Please help. I am getting so disheartened. I started on the Paleo way of eating and am currently on the 12th day of Whole30. I am a distance runner and wanted to clean up my diet to improve my times. So far my running has taken a dive, I can barely put one foot in front of the other on my daily training runs, and I hate to say it but……. I have been taking walk breaks on my runs; have gone from 5min Km to 6min km (if I can even run a km without walking). I am waiting for the magic to happen, but am only seeing my fitness going backwards at a great rate of knots. I am due to start at a Crossfit gym in two days and am considering putting that off as I don't want to embarrass myself. I use to eat a lot of grain based carbs, beans, legumes and sugars. I am loving all the meat protein I am eating now and am finding it very easy to stick with clean eating, I have not faulted in the eating program, I do not feel hungry or get craving, I do not need to lose weight, just wanted to improve my running by cleaning up my diet and starting Crossfit. Please tell me I am doing the right thing. Gail (Down Under).

Don't worry, it takes time for your body to adjust. Most people reckon it takes about 2 weeks, I think I was closer to 3 before I really felt comfortable with my runs again in both length and pace.

I ran a 5 mile the day before I started my Whole30, the next week I ran the same 5 mile route and had to stop for a walk break (or two as well), so you're not alone.

Make sure you're getting a decent amount of starchier carbs as well, like sweet potatoes.

Hi there,

Same is happening for me. Excessive tiredness in legs. Day 12 for me as well so hope this passes quickly.

Gail I am from Oz too and love Crossfit. Don't put off starting as you can scale all your workouts. Trust me Crossfit will send your heart rate racing due to the combination of exercises. Like you, I was a runner and considered myself fit until my first WOD when I seriously thought my heart was going to burst!!

Stay strong and as they say"this to shall pass"

Keep up with water intake too.

Good luck.

Sue

Hi Gail, I can sympathize. I went out today for my usual two-hour weekend LSD run, and not only had to stop several times, but also felt myself bonking. I had no energy by the second hour. I'm on Day 14, and was really worried. Since this morning, a running friend has advised me to be patient, that she didn't see results until Week Three - so around Day 21 onwards, I guess. Meanwhile, I think I should have eaten more Whole30-approved carbs - sweet potato, squash, parsnips - for the bonk, and not expected to have my usual long slow distance run while my body is figuring out how to convert energy from fat, rather than sugar. So I will be patient - but I am very curious to find out more about how others runners have adapted. Of course, the most annoying thing was that others on my run kept telling me I "had to eat rice, pasta, bread blah blah blah" for my long runs. We shall see!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I need to be patient for a least another 7 days or so………and eat more sweet potatoes. I am a jump out of bed and straight out the door for a run kind of person. I run on empty; that may need to change. Some sweet potatoes and then out the door maybe the way to go.

Hey lady,

If your diet was heavily based on grains/legumes/sugars, your transition is going to be ROUGH. Your carb intake, just by pulling all that stuff out, has shrunk to (probably) microscopic amounts, and your calorie intake may have taken a dive as well if you weren't careful to replace those calories. EAT STARCHY VEGGIES with every meal.

Can you post what an average W30 day is for you? That'll give insight as to whether you're eating enough or not.

Are you following the meal template?

Providing that you're eating enough, things should come out the other side in a week or so.

Archived