Good-bye bloat and belly fat. I am so over you.

Erin

So far I have been great at Whole 4's. Anyone else? I have toyed with Primal/Paleo since last fall but I'm really easy on myself so I'll see some progress, feel wonderful, and then give in to a sweet treat. The only one who seems to notice that that's not good for me is my 9 year old son: "Um, mom. That's not primal, is it?"

A little history: I've always been fairly slender. And hypoglycemic. So a long, long time ago I received a list of approved and banned foods so that I would need a nap and feel grouchy every day at noon. Basically...low carb/real foods. So Paleo, Primal, Whole30, etc come as no surprise to me. Not hard to grasp.

Hard to maintain.

So, who really cares about a little grouchiness when your main concern is fat and you don't have much? Not me, apparently.

2 babies and 5 years past my 30th birthday have changed my body. I'm still slender by most people's standards (5'7", 135 lbs) but I don't feel or look fit. And even though I've lost some fat since starting the 21 day primal blue print and keeping it up 4 out of 7 days a week, my belly still bulges. And it really bugs me.

And you know, I'm just not okay with gaining 1-1.5 lbs a year for the rest of my life. As far as I'm concerned, this stops now.

One day I accidentally walked in on a client's elderly mom while she was changing her clothes. And I thought: "No." That was 2 years ago and I completed the 12 week Body for Life challenge. I looked great but certainly didn't have the energy I've had when I'm eating Paleo. Then I took a desk job, came home exhausted every day, stopped exercising, and started eating yucky "food".

So here I am, over 2 years later, 2 years older and starting something new.

I don't have any major health issues, that I can see. But I'm 1/2 way through ISWF and am certain that I have chronic systemic inflammation that is causing my abdominal fat and the bloated feeling I constantly have.

I really like having a partner for things like this. I can talk myself out of pretty much anything if it feels uncomfortable. So, since none of my friends are sold on this yet, I'm hoping some of you guys will be my partners in health.

Yes?

I start tomorrow: July 1, 2012

Erin

Hi Erin! Lots of us are starting tomorrow so you won't be alone! Welcome and best of luck to you!

Excited to be with you on this journey! I had fajitas with my son last night and felt absolutely horrible for the rest of the evening. Not guilty or ashamed, I mean physically ill. Not a bad motivator. :)

I am just like you. 5.4' and 120lbs, but my tummy bulges and sometimes I look pregnant. I am restarting, so today is day 1 for me too

Yes! I often say I look about 4 months pregnant. Can't wait to see what the next 30 days bring. Also, I'm going to note here that even if I become weak and cheat, I won't be restarting. I'm completing 30 days even if they're not perfect.

Hi, Erin, me too! I'm not overweight either (5'8" and between 135-140 depending on what's happening) but I HATE the way it's distributed, and it's not a weight I'm comfortable at. I never had hips before, but the last couple of years I definitely have accumulated the dreaded belly fat and saddlebags. I truly began to wonder if I was pregnant, which is essentially impossible since I'm post-menopausal.

Things just got worse when my cholesterol started going up recently (though my triglycerides and HDL are fine, as are my ratios) and my doctor put me on statins. Hello, five more pounds at least. I went off them after two months and told my doctor I was going the diet and exercise route. And I have had no energy - none, not one bit - to exercise, which drives me absolutely bonkers.

Like you, when I read ISWF I knew what was going on - I am what Dallas and Melissa call "skinny fat." Even at 122 pounds for my wedding last year, I was skinny fat.

I started Whole30 a week or so ago and felt amazing after just a few days, then fell off the wagon completely. Started again today. Hopeful! We can support each other!

Hi, Erin! (from another Erin) :)

I just started yesterday, so we'll be in similar stages together. I'm actually a lifelong heavy person, but had that same "this stops now" realization a few weeks ago, so I fully understand. Definitely excited to support each other through this!

Hi, Erin, me too! I'm not overweight either (5'8" and between 135-140 depending on what's happening) but I HATE the way it's distributed, and it's not a weight I'm comfortable at. I never had hips before, but the last couple of years I definitely have accumulated the dreaded belly fat and saddlebags. I truly began to wonder if I was pregnant, which is essentially impossible since I'm post-menopausal.

Things just got worse when my cholesterol started going up recently (though my triglycerides and HDL are fine, as are my ratios) and my doctor put me on statins. Hello, five more pounds at least. I went off them after two months and told my doctor I was going the diet and exercise route. And I have had no energy - none, not one bit - to exercise, which drives me absolutely bonkers.

Like you, when I read ISWF I knew what was going on - I am what Dallas and Melissa call "skinny fat." Even at 122 pounds for my wedding last year, I was skinny fat.

I started Whole30 a week or so ago and felt amazing after just a few days, then fell off the wagon completely. Started again today. Hopeful! We can support each other!

Hi Linda! Good to meet you here. Excited to see what the next 30 days bring. I just got home from the farmer's market and Central Market with lots of veggies, berries, and plums. Actually, I'm pretty hungry so I think it's time to eat!

Hi, Erin! (from another Erin) :)

I just started yesterday, so we'll be in similar stages together. I'm actually a lifelong heavy person, but had that same "this stops now" realization a few weeks ago, so I fully understand. Definitely excited to support each other through this!

Hi Erin! How's day 2 going for you?

How's everyone doing so far? Happy Independence Day! This is my favorite holiday, all about freedom and spending time with our favorite people.

It is super helpful to be reading ISWF during my W30. It has not been difficult for me yet. I am still figuring how much I need to eat at each meal in order to stay satisfied until the next meal. Pretty much: every meal needs to be bigger than what I'm used to eating.

I posted a Chicken Marbella recipe in the forum. Made it last night and I suddenly became a loud eater, like one of those loud weight lifters at the gym. I couldn't get over how good it was.

So, how are you feeling?

• 1 year later...

Archived