Compliant bacon

kaiser179

Anyone know of some good compliant brands of bacon they can recommend? I am hoping to find something in a local store vs purchasing online. I did find a brand that doesn't include sugar, but it has sodium nitrate. Is the sodium nitrate avoidable in other brands? Just curious ... thanks!

So I went shopping today and it took me forever to find the brand, but it is Roundy's Thick Cut Naturally Double Smoked. The brand 'Roundy's' is a local generic brand for big box stores but maybe they sell them elsewhere. It has NO sugar ... HOWEVER ... it does have liquid smoke added as an ingredient which I am guessing is a big no-no. I bought it any way as a treat post-W30 but now I am thinking the additives in the liquid smoke are a stupid thing to consume. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report that I contacted the distributor of the bacon and confirmed that there is no soy or sugar or other additives in the liquid smoke that they use. So I officially found local, inexpensive, compliant bacon! Woo-hoo! :D

This sparked me to contact my favorite local deli and inquire about the preparation of their rotiserrie chicken. I found out that they use a little canola spray but that I can call and order a "plain" chicken with no spray at no additional cost. How awesome! This process is teaching me how to find compliant food.

I am happy to report that I contacted the distributor of the bacon and confirmed that there is no soy or sugar or other additives in the liquid smoke that they use. So I officially found local, inexpensive, compliant bacon! Woo-hoo!

This sparked me to contact my favorite local deli and inquire about the preparation of their rotiserrie chicken. I found out that they use a little canola spray but that I can call and order a "plain" chicken with no spray at no additional cost. How awesome! This process is teaching me how to find compliant food.

Kaiser..lucky duck about the bacon. I have to make my own, purchase frim a farmer 30 miles away or order online. One more caution about the chicken. Often they are injected with nasties before they even get them at the deli.

Archived