I have successfully off roaded

CAK911

I've successfully done two complete Whole30s in the past 10 months, and I feel really great and positive about that. It gives me a sense of confidence in my ability to make and stick to goals and positive decisions. But, I've really struggled with off roading in a way that actually works for me, and doesn't throw me into bad habits. I think I've identified the main problem, which is that I wasn't making myself go right back on program immediately.

So, Thursday, I off roaded for a big reception at work, and then went immediately back on plan when I left the reception -- compliant dinner that night, and everything compliant since. It's now 4 days later, and I definitely had some elevated cravings for a couple days, but I'm now back to my routine.

This makes me feel really great about the possibilities for sustaining this kind of eating in the longer term, and I'm really excited. During my first Whole30, I managed to lower my triglycerides by about 70 points, and I can't wait to see what this way of eating does for me when carried out over longer stretches. I think learning how to offroad is going to be a key to long-term success. I know I don't have it totally down, but I do have a sense now of what I can do to make it work.

• Moderators

What you are saying is simple, but profound. Off road for a reason and then go right back to compliant. To maximize our health, we need to eat meat and veggies most of the time, but there are good reasons to off road occasionally.

• Moderators

Good for you and thanks for posting! This really helps me plan ahead for the end of my first Whole30. Keeping in mind that you simply need to get back on the saddle immediately makes it so simple! And it also eliminates the fight we have with ourselves (will I, won't I) that the Whole 30 takes care of. Great stuff!!

This is really encouraging. I have timed my first w30 around a few events that are coming up (the birthdays of all three of my kids, for one) where I anticipate being compliant will...not happen. :-) its comforting to know that you have been able to deviate for a specific reason and then find the willpower and self control to go right back.

Thanks for sharing!

Archived