Fat Portions- Confused!

jmcip

So I'm confused. I know the template says a fat serving is the size of your thumb, I'm only 5 ft and have a pretty small thumb. Besides the health benefits I do really need to lose weight so I want to keep my fats in check. How many teaspoons or tablespoons does a thumb equal? Having trouble visualizing.

• Moderators

Really, you can't bring ordinary weight loss wisdom to the Whole30. Ordinary weight loss wisdom is so freaking wrong. :angry: You actually need to eat plenty of healthy fats in order to lose weight. :P

Cooking is not a necessarily exact process. I sometimes list measures like a tablespoon of ghee or a teaspoon of salt in my recipes, but in real life, I use a fork to move a hunk of ghee to my skillet and I dust food with spices until I think I have dusted enough. The main thing when it come to fat is don't be stingy. Include a measure of fat about as big as your thumb as a minimum. Don't worry if you include a thumb and a half. B)

Thanks guys...am on Day 29. Going on vacation this week and starting again Mon. All the advice will certainly help to refine my next round.

I was put on my first "diet" by my mom when I was 10 so I have 40 yrs of traditional weight loss thinking to undo....

Besides the health benefits I do really need to lose weight so I want to keep my fats in check.

I would carefully plan whether to do Whole30 if you are already worried about weight loss before you have even started. That isn't the primary goal...

Really, you can't bring ordinary weight loss wisdom to the Whole30. Ordinary weight loss wisdom is so freaking wrong. :angry: You actually need to eat plenty of healthy fats in order to lose weight. :P

Cooking is not a necessarily exact process. I sometimes list measures like a tablespoon of ghee or a teaspoon of salt in my recipes, but in real life, I use a fork to move a hunk of ghee to my skillet and I dust food with spices until I think I have dusted enough. The main thing when it come to fat is don't be stingy. Include a measure of fat about as big as your thumb as a minimum. Don't worry if you include a thumb and a half. B)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that cooks this way.

Alicia I actually just finished my first Whole 30 ( or will finish today). I posted that on my 28th day. I know weight loss is not the primary goal but I also know once you start eating healthy and put whole foods in your body if you need to lose weight it comes with the territory. I have not felt this good in years and I know this is the program that works for my body having eaten like this at other times in my life. I have read other advice on here about avoiding nuts etc. if weight loss is one of the goals so I don't see why making sure I was doing fats correctly is any different.

Alicia I actually just finished my first Whole 30 ( or will finish today). I posted that on my 28th day. I know weight loss is not the primary goal but I also know once you start eating healthy and put whole foods in your body if you need to lose weight it comes with the territory. I have not felt this good in years and I know this is the program that works for my body having eaten like this at other times in my life. I have read other advice on here about avoiding nuts etc. if weight loss is one of the goals so I don't see why making sure I was doing fats correctly is any different.

Good call. Jason Seib (of Everyday Paleo) has trademarked the following quote: "Healthy by choice. Hot by accident." He contends (and is right) that if you want LASTING positive body composition changes, you MUST go through HEALTH to get there.

I'm about 5'2" and my thumb is the size of a teaspoon... I have one of those spice measuring spoons and my thumb fits exactly. I do have small hands though... In my cooking, I usually just use a little less than a tablespoon.

I think they mean your entire thumb, not your thumbprint; I'm not tiny, and I bet the point of my thumb also fits in a teaspoon. I usually do 1/4-1/2 an avocado, one serving of nuts, or a couple good-sized spoonfuls of cooking fat per meal. I don't count any of the fat in meat, because then I tend to overthink.

I think they mean your entire thumb, not your thumbprint; I'm not tiny, and I bet the point of my thumb also fits in a teaspoon. I usually do 1/4-1/2 an avocado, one serving of nuts, or a couple good-sized spoonfuls of cooking fat per meal. I don't count any of the fat in meat, because then I tend to overthink.

I agree. I think the book specifically says not to count the fat in the meat because it all evens out when you eat fish or shrimp or something other lean protein. This really holds true for grassfed beef, buffalo and pastured chickens. Because they eat no or at least fewer grains, they are very lean.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that cooks this way.

I cook that way too. Eyeball it, and add more as necessary. Especially with seasonings, I usually start out with a little and add more as I go. You can always add more if you start with a little, but if you add too much right off the bat, you often can't take it out.

Archived